You are not logged in.

#1 Jun 13, 2018 10:20 PM

Dark Intentions
Gems: 96
Birthday: 30 November

Ripto's Arena

Am I the only one who had/is having trouble with the Ripto battle.
I've never beaten him, couldn't do it back in the day and as it turns out I still can't.

I've been at it for the first time since the game's prime since last night. I'm so stoked, I got the original PS2 disc to play on my PS3 and my original data transferred over using a PS3 memory card adaptor but I digress.

I'm getting pretty swift in the first battle. I'm learning his power-ups and how to dodge them though fodder is usually a welcome sight nonetheless.
RoboGulp's powerups are harder to dodge and unlike Ripto alone who takes off running when Spyro is powered up like the pansy *bleep* he truly is, RoboGulp will continue his fireblasts and thus will get one in before Spyro gets his attack out.
Nonetheless, I have gotten through.

The final phase, the bird, is the real trouble for me. It's effing hard to hit him without taking a hit and without fodder---

That's IF I can get past RoboGulp and so far today, I've been having trouble with that.

I really don't want to use the invincibility cheat (Square, Circle (x4), X, Square, Circle, L1 according to Neoseeker), not for my first victory but it's becoming seriously tempting!

Last edited by Dark Intentions (Jun 13, 2018 10:24 PM)

#2 Jun 14, 2018 1:58 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

Re: Ripto's Arena

for the bird, i just keep flying toward Ripto and spamming flame from a distance. if Ripto manages to fire a shot, i just fly down, and then try again.

#3 Jun 14, 2018 2:59 AM

Aquila King
Gems: 812

Don't feel bad. Ripto's the hardest Spyro boss I'd say there is smile (not counting the Legends series maybe).

With the bird, my advise would be to not even bother trying to fire at it when it's facing you ready to charge at you. Just spam superflame when it starts circling around the arena. Keep at it and you should be fine.

#4 Jun 14, 2018 5:52 AM

Dark Intentions

Victory.
Both suggestions were helpful, I ended up somewhat combining them.
I circled the arena from above Ripto, diving for a moment every several seconds to fire a handful of shots and then quickly climbing again when his shot came. His shots got less frequent near the end.

I'm doubtless that Ripto is the hardest boss in the original trilogy even though I never beat the final boss in Spyro the Dragon. At the time my best friend and I collaborated PS game playing and it was she who did that, alone.
I don't believe I got around to making my own attempt. 

I'm so glad I didn't resort to using the invincibility cheat.
*sigh* Now I think I have to get through the speedways to obtain my last orbs and gems to unlock the permanent superflame.
Bleh. I've always sucked at the speedways.

Last edited by Dark Intentions (Jun 15, 2018 12:51 AM)

#5 Jun 17, 2018 11:40 PM

Aquila King
Gems: 812

Glad I could help. smile

#6 Jul 07, 2018 7:20 AM

Dark Intentions

Success. I unlocked the permanent superflame and am now in a new game with it.
I'm loving how much easier a lot of the game is with it!

I also found out that the main cutscenes in my copy of the game have severe audio issues, skipping and shutting off entirely but gameplay has been fine.

#7 Jul 07, 2018 3:54 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

glad to hear it! smile weird about the cutscenes though - i would guess that'd be caused by scratches on the disk, but i'm not sure.

#8 Jul 08, 2018 7:09 PM

Dark Intentions

Could be and it's is an old disc. At least ten years old.

Board footer