Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec 06, 2007 2:03 AM

Gwenio
Gems: 0
Website

IGN review of Spyro the Dragon for the PS3.

#2 Dec 06, 2007 3:31 AM

ratchet
Website

Re: IGN review of Spyro the Dragon for the PS3.

you saying 7 is a lucky review?
Gameplay loose? not me!
camera clunky? i never had problem with that.
6.5 for graphics? They were really impressive back then
7.0? he said good things about it!
This guy is wrong.
I dont think spyro 1 is TOO great but please, that is so rough

#3 Dec 06, 2007 12:20 PM

Gwenio
Website

It is lucky that the reviewer does not hate game that he cannot easily finish. I think the score is compairitive to new games, not those that were around when it was released for the PS1. (If that is its score compaired to Mario Galaxy, would you see it as doing good?)

#4 Dec 07, 2007 12:52 AM

ratchet
Website

i didn't see the score for mario galaxy, i've only played SuperMario 64 too, and that WAs one of the most frustrating games ever, the camera was awful in 64.
But If he compares it to these days, well cool, but still, the camera wasn't clunky and the controls weren't loose.

Quote: It is lucky that the reviewer does not hate game that he cannot easily finish- Huh Sorry?

#5 Dec 07, 2007 1:01 AM

Gwenio
Website

That bit you quoted was said because the person who revies TEN did not finish, and most of the first page seemed to be about how difficult the game was.

#6 Dec 07, 2007 1:22 AM

ratchet
Website

And He Did Not Hate It? ok
but comparing these game s to the original days...
Why?

Gameplay- 8/10
The Controls are fantastic and can be easily used, there are 28 levels, 34 if you include all the homeworlds and each level is quite big.
Though really all your doing is going around, toasting enemies and just collecting treasure and rescuing dragons, well actually, this is more fun then it sounds.
the enemies are all the different and so are the levels, the levels arn't on after another instead you can choose.
The gameplay is great though the bosses are quite easy and so is the game in general but once you have beaten the last boss you can do the challenge of collecting 100% and opening gnasties loot, a secret all flying 2000 gem level!

Story-7/10
The Story is quite mediocre because all you see is 3 cutscnes, they are well done and the story is quite inventive but there is not enough of it to ge given a full mark...
though this game doesn't really need story a little more wouldn't hurt

Graphics-9/10
The Game has superb 3d graphics and the playstation really pulls them off, you know whats what and everything looks like it should though they arn't as smooth as some other titles around the time like crash bandicoot 2.
As Said the levels are really inventive and everything is colourful, nothing contrasts.. this game has great graphics!

Length And Replay value-8/10
Even though you could probably beat the boss pretty quickly, the task lies to get 100% and gee, some supercharge spots are pretty tuff but you wont be biting your fingers like in Crash Bandicoot or Super Mario 64.
Even though the game is quite simple to master, it has great replay value and speed runs are a hobby. And For Some reason this game has some special magical feel you dont see in other games

Audio-9.5/10
Stewart copelands tunes are great and ver catchy... this goes along with some nice voice talent from the dragons giving spyro advice, to Gnasty to spyro himself.
The sound effects are good, the enemies make great, funny noises. Everything is great but we just couldn't give it a 10.
Avarage-8.3 round it up to 8.5
8.5/10 well done!

#7 Dec 07, 2007 1:26 AM

Gwenio
Website

And that is how it compaired to all other games then, this is now. It did very well considering. The bit about the camera is because you have to press triangle to rotated it and it does not go all the way around even then.

#8 Dec 07, 2007 1:34 AM

ratchet
Website

Wait, dont you use the right analog stick, its been so long since i played.
But anyhow, i never really had problem with the camera

#9 Dec 07, 2007 1:58 AM

Gwenio
Website

In this game the right analog stick might as well not exist.

#10 Dec 07, 2007 2:01 AM

ratchet
Website

o_O

I swear i used the right anolog but anyhow, as i said, the camera is fine without it... and yeah if we dont use it, we dont need it

#11 Jan 30, 2008 6:17 AM

ratchet
Website

yeah, we dont. It was really fine without it anyway.
I think they didn't include it because not everyone had the dualshock controller (the ones with the sticks), and having both (r1, l1 etc and the joy sticks) would be too annoying to program.
Owell, really good game, nothing wrong with it i say

#12 Jul 25, 2010 9:31 AM

THEKIDWITHAKNIFE.

Back in it's day I'd be willin to bet they would have given it a total ten! I know I did!

Getting old: It's gonna Happen.
Growing up: Not a chance!

"opinions are, imunity to being told your wrong...
paper, rock, and scissors they, all have their pros and cons!" .....................(Reliant K)

Check me out on Youtube.com and DeviantArt.com!!!

#13 Jan 11, 2011 6:50 PM

Pizzaboy721

Graphics: 6.5?!
What the hell, this game was released in 1998, IGN is just comparing 90's games to Current Gen games
Gameplay: 7.0?!
Well, the controls are a bit loose, I agree with that but you can just go to the pause menu and set it to a different camera mode
Presentation: 6.0?!
Very little to marvel at?  When this game came out it introduced the anolog controls for Playstation

Overall for IGNs Review: 1.0
Yet, again IGN spells Ignorance and can't grasp ahold of nostalgia

No flame wars, only Spyro does that

#14 Jul 15, 2014 10:42 PM

Attackfrog277

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Sep 11, 2014 7:07 PM)

#15 Sep 11, 2014 8:44 PM

Attackfrog277

I played through this game again recently and I can come to a verdict. I still think 8.5 is an appropriate score but I can now figure out what this games problem is. Its not that this game is simple or lacks many features, in fact, this game offers lots of things to do such as flaming, charging, siderolling, gliding, finding gems, finding keys, launching rockets, killing enemies with propellers, super-flaming, supercharging, shooting cannons, shooting shrink-rays, flying levels, chasing theives, killing a variety of enemies, chasing air planes, retrieving keys to unlock doors and chests, freeing fairies, freeing dragons, decent bosses, moving platforms, electic floors and poles, superchage fests, etc. The problem is, anyone who has played this game knows that half of the things I listed are rare occurrences in the game, they usually are only implemented once or twice into the games large 34 levels, and the gameplay constantly reverts back to the basics whenever a powerup or weapon is not present in a level, which is often. thats the 1 problem with this game, design. everything else is top notch, but this game doesn't pace its powerups, weapons and abilities properly. The cannons in peace keepers are only used in that level out of the entire game(it also the only time you blow up a landmark), same goes for the ray-gun in dreamweavers, and the super-flame which to the best of my knowledge is use twice in the entire game. You stop collecting eggs half-way though, this reminds me of the article about Spyro 2 saying the game was rushed because you stop collecting talismans halfway trhough, but atleast they replace the talismans with orbs, this game doesn't replace the eggs with any other task and you don't see the thieves until Gnasty Gnorc when the game introduces another mechanic that should've come earlier in the game. Keys to unlock doors. This game is great but feels like a beta for Spyro 2, it needed more time to be fleshed out, then it could've made for a stronger argument for supremecy. great game, lots of ideas, but too stingy!

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Sep 11, 2014 8:47 PM)

#16 Sep 11, 2014 10:37 PM

NeoReaper

I would like to see a HD remake of the original games but none of the fanmade games ever see the light at the end of the tunnel.

-Intel I7 4770k 4.5Ghz / Phanteks U-Type Black    -Vengeance (Hynix) 16Gb 1600Mhz   -Kingston SSDNow M.2 / 2TB Seagate Constellation
-Asus Intel Z97-P    -Zalman z11 Plus Case    -Windows 10 Insider Edition    -XFX R9 280X 3GB

#17 Oct 03, 2014 3:58 PM

Attackfrog277

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Oct 03, 2014 3:59 PM)

#18 Oct 07, 2014 5:16 PM

Steinar
Banned

Reviewers are not that important, reviewers strives on telling people what to think and being controlled by their words and not your own, i think its important to listen to what you think, and ignore the reviewers all together. I think Spyro 1 is always number one ^^

Last edited by Steinar (Oct 07, 2014 5:22 PM)

Ban reason: Trolling

#19 Oct 09, 2014 11:09 PM

Kariana<3

Hmmm. Calling BS on this review.

I'm trying to start some Spyro Projects, check my guestbook for details, please throw some ideas to me so I can do as best as I can for the fandom. ^^

#20 Oct 14, 2014 1:29 AM

UpDownLeftWrite

IGN is very inconsiderate. I sent them $300 so I could interview them, and they just sent me a picture of one of their dogs and it wasn't even signed. Ungrateful...

Stop dragon your feet...

Board footer