Birthday: 3 April
Website

"Console war" continuation

#2 Mar 08, 2011 5:52 PM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

Re: "Console war" continuation

To those who think the Gamecube is bad: I beg you to play Resident Evil 4. Sure it's on the PS2 and Wii as well, and with extra content, but it had been a Gamecube exclusive. Also, despite the lack of extra content, the Gamecube version has better graphics and runs far more smoothly than its PS2 counterpart. Load times are virtually non-existant in the Gamecube version. The Gamecube had great potential, few developers chose to do anything with it, (and those who did found their games under the radar simply because people assume Nintendo is only for Mario and don't even buy the console, and they have no choice but to port their games to the PS2) and that is the reason it didn't succeed.

Chessmaster
Level 67

#3 Mar 08, 2011 5:55 PM

Clock-la
Gems: 0
Birthday: 19 March

PS3 :3 I own one ((Sorry other fanboys thats my only reson)) Same with realy anything I own hmm so....

i prefer Ds to psp because more games intrest me on the DS

PS3 the same reson they just aint that many JRPGs on the 360, and most of them have got better Ps3 ports tongue

PS2 i got it for christmas and well so manty memorys so its my beloved frave

as for my PS1 well...i got that AFFTER my Ps2 as odd as it seems but I got the old spyro games and they would not save on a Ps2 memory card so i just got a very cheep Ps1 tongue

#4 Mar 08, 2011 5:58 PM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

Chessmaster
Level 67

#5 Mar 08, 2011 6:21 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Website

Handhelds: Nintendo, no contest.
PS1 > N64 (I actually never owned an N64 *gasp* but its lack of Spyro and Crash plus the weird controller means it would have probably lost anyway.)
GameCube > PS2 > Xbox (Never owned an Xbox, but I never heard of any games on it that were interesting to me.)
Current generation: Not sure. I only own the Wii because the other two are so *bleep* expensive, but the games are fun and the motion control in every single game dosen't bug me too much. PS3 has a few games I think I'd like, and online play is free. The 360 has only a few that I care about and has that stupid monthly fee for Xbox Live that just increased. Even though it's supposed to have the best online play of the three, there's no way that could make up for having to pay over $30 a month in my opinion.

#6 Mar 08, 2011 7:24 PM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

It seems everyone disagrees with me on this, and that's fine.  (Why everyone hate me?)

I think one reason why Gamecube is getting such a good vote here on Spyrofourm is the age difference.  I am 24, which is probably older than the mean age here.  Most people in this argument are between 15 and 20.  Now Gamecube and PS2 are in the same generation, but my video gaming "career" began when I was 4 or 5.

The very first game I played was Burger Time for Atari, and my love for video games sped up with a revolutionary console, the NES.  Most of you guys' video gaming era started 5-10 years later, about the time the SNES had its better years behind it and right before the 'disc' era began.

Back in my childhood days, IMO, Nintendo was awesome.  There were several different types of games that you could play, even some with good depth and replayability.  When the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis (Megadrive) released, the first console war began.  I voted for the SNES.  It had way better games for it, the controls were easy to use, and most of the great games were continuations of franchises from the NES.  However, the Megadrive was revolutionary as well, it was just more overlooked because of the SNES.  I didn't realize this until the Playstation came out, and the reason being--I was so invested in what Nintendo was doing, I figured anything else was crap.

Now, I'm not saying that you guys are doing the same thing, my main point here is that my behavior against the "off-brand" Sega Megadrive during the SNES years could be similar to you guys' Nintendo following during the 64 and GC years.

Maybe I'm looking too far into it.

Another reason could be that on this site, about 99.9% of the users have played a Spyro the Dragon game.  And if you've played Spyro, there's a good chance that you've played other platformers.  Now, I'm not going to say that all of the games for Gamecube are platformers, but Sony's consoles did (and still do) have a larger array of genres than the Gamecube and, unfortunately, have since deemed platformers unpopular games to play.  Gamecube has countless games that have that platformer charm, but it's hard to find a good first person shooter for it.  I enjoyed sports games during this era too, and the Gamecube controller was so incovenient for most of those games.  Basically, the Gamecube controller was ideal for games with two attack buttons.  They made it in such a way that made sense for games where the same one and half buttons are continuously being pressed.

There is no doubt that the Sony consoles, especially PS2 and PS3, are for the hardcore gamer, which I guess best describes me.  The Nintendo consoles, in this case N64 and Gamecube, cater more towards the younger platformer addict, making anyone of these people who do not like the Wii a very unhappy individual because they aren't sure where to turn to.  Many of them probably stopped playing games altogether.  This theory could also explain why the later generation of Spyro games has an unfortunate decline in popularity--We blame it on Activision, lol.

So to summarize what I said in two statements:

1.  A younger generation could be the reason why Gamecube gets more praise.

2.  Sony and Microsoft have fewer Spyro-like games than Nintendo.

#7 Mar 08, 2011 7:50 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Website

Now you're making some good points. I think that pretty much sums it up. The GameCube had more platformer-like games which appeal to most of the audience of this forum.

I don't know about "Nintendo following" in my case, though. As I said, I've never owned a Nintendo 64 or any of the previous Nintendo consoles (except the handhelds), but I did own a PSX. To be honest, the only reason I bought a GameCube in the first place was because of Enter the Dragonfly and A Hero's Tail coming out. My brother and I both wanted to play the new Spyro games, so we split the price of the cheapest console half and half. We later got a PS2 to play DDR games, and even after that I ended up liking the GameCube better for the reasons I mentioned before.

#8 Mar 08, 2011 7:56 PM

Clock-la

#9 Mar 08, 2011 7:57 PM

riverhippo

thanks for redirecting the topic, Stormy.  It is a good convo.

EDIT:  ...until Clock-la posted, lol.

#10 Mar 08, 2011 8:16 PM

Latias fan

I go for PS3 myself mostly cus i can play for more than 4 hours and it won't overheat leading to the inevtible RROD the 360 has.The online is also free which is nice.And it has much better hardware i hear the slim fixs the hardware but looking at it it probably didn't.

And with the Gamecube their is only 3 games i like on it

Killer 7

Pokemon Collsuiem

Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness

#11 Mar 08, 2011 8:43 PM

Clock-la

#12 Mar 09, 2011 4:06 AM

RedDragonX
Website

Anyone remember the Dreamcast? That had some potential had it not been for the terrible time it was released. Anyways I love my Playstation products...they keep me very entertained. I might have to invest in a Wii though....

#13 Mar 09, 2011 4:10 AM

Rurikredwolf
Birthday: 14 October
Website

Personally, I enjoy anything so long as the game is interesting. Gameboy-360, I will play it.

#14 Mar 09, 2011 8:49 AM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

#15 Mar 09, 2011 10:39 AM

riverhippo

#16 Mar 09, 2011 5:02 PM

Clock-la

#17 Mar 09, 2011 9:09 PM

JazzJackrabbit

Nintendo will probably get full HD and usable internet in the next generation.  I don't mind the PS2 graphics in the Wii, but I definitely prefer PS3 and XBox graphics.  I'm still not justified in buying one of the others.

Yo, Spyro
I'm really happy for you, but Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the best platformers of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

#18 Mar 09, 2011 10:50 PM

ontels

I think the Wii has better graphics than the PS2...

wink

#19 Mar 09, 2011 10:53 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

#20 Mar 09, 2011 10:55 PM

ontels

It's a proven fact that the PS3 is more powerfull than the xbox 360, if the games look the same it's the develapers fault.

wink

#21 Mar 09, 2011 11:07 PM

Latias fan

#22 Mar 10, 2011 7:40 AM

riverhippo

#23 Mar 10, 2011 11:10 AM

ontels

wink

#24 Mar 10, 2011 4:01 PM

Apoc
Birthday: 18 June

#25 Mar 10, 2011 4:15 PM

ontels

Well actually GFWL (much like the reel live...) allways screws up for me while steam never has.

wink

Board footer