Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun 12, 2008 12:47 AM

Luke Danger
Gems: 0

Mechanics ideas

I know that the game has all ready been finalized, but what sort of things would you like to see mechanic wise for DotD?

First of all, a Ally system would be nice, so for example, we can have an awsome kick-*bleep* army VS army with Spyro and Cynder fighting, and still have allies in the same way as enemies pop in. Including or not including friendly fire, depending on difficulty

Difficulty meter: Well, this would be useful, so here's what I was thinking...

Begginer (easy as pie, for new players or those really out of whack). Learning (easy, but not over-easy). Able (medium, not easy, not hard, in the middle) Skilled (a bit harder then medium, but not overly hard). Master (hard) and, as a kicker, Guardian (equivelent to ridiculously hard, as it 'How the heck am I supposed to do THIS?!)

Seperate Toutorials: So before the game starts, there should be tourtorials. You know, basic jump, move, glide, etc. They could just use 'flashbacks' to represent it, with no actual plot basis (so they could use a combo of Swamp, Dream, and Temple levels for basic, so like Swamp for movement training, Temple for melee training, and Dream for element training). The game would start with just Swamp, then you go to Temple (the Dojo in particular), and once you unlock a breath, it goes to the Dreamscape quickly (Spyro and Cynder can just fall asleep in camp or such, or even just have it zoom into their eyes to represent it happening, then after you choose to skip or do the tourtorial, it shows them using the new breath), with two options: Go though the Elemental Door (like the fire one in the Dream level of Fire), or jump into the pool to skip. This way, people can skip toutorials after they complete the game, and the toutorials will have no plot-line mechanics other then possibly the basics of the breath in question being told.

Difficulty Setting Test: Pits you in a breif level of several tests. The tests include puzzles of increasing difficulty, combat of increasing difficulty, and the result. The result being for example, if you got beat by the first enemy, it'd say 'Begginer, but go over the toutorials a few times to make sure you are ready', while if you cream it all it'll say 'Guardian: Good luck, you're going to be at Guardian Level, so good luck'. Naturally, you can select it yourself if you wish to do it easier or harder.

SO, anyone else have ideas?

#2 Jun 12, 2008 6:04 PM

Scarabbug

Re: Mechanics ideas

#3 Jun 12, 2008 8:27 PM

Syler Bladewing

Re: Mechanics ideas

What would also be cool would either be a reaction button and/or reaction cutscenes.  The reaction button would be like in Kingdom Hearts 2 or Zelda: Wind Waker, where it does special things based on the enemy you're fighting. 
Example:  Heavy armor foe:  Spyro/Cynder dodge the attack, then knock armor off with a counter blow.
Archer type: Repels arrows back to enemy forces
The possibilities are endless!
As for the reaction sequences, those would be from Soul Calibur 3 and Resident Evil 4.  You have to press certain buttons during sequences to move ahead. 
Examples:  Boss launches attack, leads into cutscene where correct input of reaction commands will prevent heavy damage.
Finishers:  Boss is weakened, use the commands to end the fight, otherwise the boss will get back up at...say, 25% health back...

This world...Is rotten.  People are evil, they kill and murder for no reason.  I will be the one to cleanse this world of evil.  I am Kira.

Board footer