Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 May 26, 2008 11:53 AM

ratchet
Gems: 0
Website

Ratchet's Review

After 2000's ultra impressive Year of the Dragon, i was hyped up about a new Spyro game as any 6 year old would be, but after i found out that the next spyro game, Spyro:Enter the Dragonfly would be exclusive on the next-gen consoles, i was heavily dissapointed. The game came out in 2002 but i had to wait until 2004 when i could finally get a PS2 and hence play the game. One long loading time later and i was ready to go but even though the graphics were amazing, the frame rate was slow, there were no portals and the long loading times kept on appearing, This was the biggest disapointment of my life, but these days i'm not as hurt as much, i mean Enter the dragonfly WAS the closest thing we ever got to the oruginal games.

Gameplay-3/10
The game is very similar to the original games except with large, negative differences. Firstly, Gameplay is slow due to a very slow frame rate, Charging is hardly charging anymore, jumping is like a moon walk and hovering wont get you anywhere. It is also hard to cope with all the long loading times and sometimes lock ups and freezings. The breaths are nothing special seeing they are all the same except activate different machines. The Bubble breath is just useless and it is agrovating to change to the bubble breath JUST to catch dragonflies. The game has only 9 levels and so is very short, the levels are slightly bigger than the originals but it doesn't make up for it. Being only 9 levels, there arn't many minigames, and speedways are entered in other levels like they are minigames themselves. there is only one boss, being ripto, and the boss battle is hopeless, not epic at all or anything. The minigames are fun anyway. On a lighter note, ETD is the closest thing the fans got to the originals, and that made it fun, if you can dodge all the bad things, you may like this game.

Design-7.5/10
The Graphics in ETD are absolutely stunning, really good for only 6th generation, the design is also pretty good. Even though ETD steals levels from previous spyro games, the levels are really colourful, big, bright and great to explore. It would've been nice though to see portals like previous spyro games, instead it has platforms that you stand on to take you to levels. the design is good, that is all.

Story-3/10
Ripto is angry and as revenge spreads out all the dragonflies so that the baby dragons are defensless, now spyro must go and get them. There is only one cutscene in the game, which is at the start, and it is not impressive. Ripto returns with no explanation of how he survived his death which occured in Spyro 2 when he fell into a pit of lava, or the death for his minions. His minions also talk, which they couldn't do in Spyro 2, the thing tha his minion, gulp, said is confusing too, but lets not get into this. THe characters in the one cutscene seem to really have no emotions. there are atleast 2 plotholes:
1.there were 151 baby dragons in Spyro 3, but only 90 dragonflies, what happened?
2.Why do the dragonflies run away from you when you are doing them good by catching them.
The story isn't very good.

Audio-8/10
Luckily for ETD, Stewart copeland, the guy who composed for the first 3 games, composed for this game, and his performance was "more stronger than ever". The Music is great and really sets the seam. Also, all the original voice actors are in this game, which is great too. Other than that, the sound effects are a bit off at times.

Lasting Appeal-2/10
You probably wont want to play ETD again, And the only prize you get for getting 100% is that you get to verse ripto again, then theres nothing. Its not long and theres no skillpoints.

Controls and Camera-8/10
The controls and camera are simple like the originals, but effective, Lets just say that you wont have many problems.

5.25/10

#2 May 27, 2008 8:45 AM

spyromaster330

Re: Ratchet's Review

well i pretty much agree with your review. I was a bit disappointed by this game and the framerate really annoyed me. I would give it about the same rating as you as well.

#3 Jun 02, 2008 9:49 AM

ratchet
Website

thanks. judging by my points, this game gets a worse score than ANB/TEN, Lucky for ANB/TEN i didn't add in my personal thoughts (such as how i hated the reboot).

#4 Jun 07, 2008 4:13 AM

SpyroLover12

9 levels zomg

i just remembed i was on 67% in like an hour and a bit i rememba this level it was dark it had long grass and this weird dude and these weird sheep if i remeber right

#5 Jun 07, 2008 1:51 PM

ratchet
Website

yeah, crop circle country, i hated that level!

#6 Jun 07, 2008 3:40 PM

spyromaster330

Crop Circle Country was bad but i think Dragonfly dojo was the worst level in the game. I seriously hated that level. Its so boring.

Board footer