Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#76 Jan 25, 2008 6:06 AM

ratchet
Gems: 0
Website

Re: My Review of The Eternal Night (The worst Spyro game ever)

nope, no barrel rolls down at all

#77 Jan 25, 2008 6:10 AM

Reivan
Website

oops sorry theres a lever behind the first post you have to hit yeah thats it

#78 Jan 25, 2008 6:14 AM

ratchet
Website

alright thanx, i'll try that out nce i play it next

#79 Jan 26, 2008 4:37 AM

Gwenio
Website

Also the only reason to let the barrels past the last barrier is to get a health (or was it magic?) relic. To get to the nest part it must hit the last of the fences.

#80 Jan 26, 2008 4:43 AM

Antr the Rolf
Website

Well thyus helped me I know.

#81 Jan 28, 2008 6:15 AM

Reivan
Website

#82 Feb 10, 2008 9:25 AM

Kodar

IGN article is pathetic disgrace. Though i admit that the game is way too difficult and needs some polishing, you can't seriously refer to the IGN article. The guy over there haven't played the game farther than first couple levels, it's full of disgusting disinformation or outright lies besides of being extremely moody, as if it were a kid writing it *thumbsdown* If you havent played or finished the game yet but have read the article, let me point out some lies there.

1) There is no unlimited monsters spawn, period. There are places with lots, but they are limited, and you have to kill them all
2) There is no problem with double jump, period. The "window" is a good solid 1 second(2 seconds in dragon time), if you have problems hitting one button twice inside it, you have some serious issues and might consider stopping playing action games.. ..Or trash out that broken cheap chineese game pad. The only case when double jump can fail is when you hit an obstacle and no longer in jump phase, rather just falling down.
3) "Most enemies are immune to damage or recieve reduced damage while they are down" -- bull***t. The one and only type of enemy that is kinda immune to damage while being knocked down is scorpions and only because you are supposed to finish them off with headbash, all other enemies suffer the same damage.
4) "Button mashing". yeah, i see now why the guy got all psyched out, mad and moody. How about stop mashing the buttons and use some brain? You CAN avoid being surrounded and kicked to death, you CAN kill any enemy perfectly, just use your head and a proper breath. And don't forget to upgrade it asap(both, the head and the breath, lol.
5) "Yet again charge gets you out of a cliff". I've no words.. Stupidity of cosmic magnitude.. If there is a cliff around, DON'T charge, is it that complicated to master? Rather, kick up your enemy with triple O and push him off the cliff with R1. And besides, fire charge and fire breath itself is a crappy breath, don't upgrade it and don't use it. It has no crowd contol abilities, fire charge is weak.. Once again, you need to think a little. There is no rocket science, just use a grain of sense and logic and you will have no problems.
6) "Dragon time is a crutch that you must use on each monster". Lies again. DT doesn't help much if you still brainlessly mash the buttons. I found that it hurts more than helps, because of all-blurry and flickering, use it only when needed and you will find synergy with the gameplay.

Well, with all the difficulty, it took me 2 days only to finish the game.. The story and locations kept me interested and motivated, i was expecting advanced difficulty and came to it with cold mind, now i can just compliment that approach - here i am, enjoyed the game a lot and looking down with pity on that gas-hissing red-heated IGN dude big_smile If anything would make me to want to "punch babies" that would be people like him. wink

#83 Feb 11, 2008 5:19 AM

ratchet
Website

yeah, even i though that the IGN dude was a bit off put, 3.5? yeah, i though TEN wasn't very good but again, a 3.5? I agree with most of the things you said, Kodar, though I did find the Gameplay in TEN very bland.

#84 Feb 11, 2008 5:28 PM

abbey1053

I never read game reviews almost half of them are bias so there no point in me reading them. Some people either treat a game like it is the best game in the and with other games they treat it like dirt.

#85 Feb 12, 2008 7:22 AM

ratchet
Website

Everyone Is Biased I recon, Every reviewer puts Mario Infront of anyone cause hes mario

#86 Feb 24, 2008 1:14 AM

Scarabbug

#87 Feb 24, 2008 1:33 AM

ratchet
Website

My Review From Another thread:

Hey guys, its time for me to review TEN, i havn't finished it yet, but i'll do a review now and when i finish it...

Gameplay- 4/10
I havn't finished it yet so i cant realy judge it.
Pretty much the Gameplay is very similar to 2006's ANB. There are some improvements including making breath attacks more useful. This means that you will actually have a reason to change your breaths. Akso the difficulty has increased, ANB was a sinch, but its sequel has gone to the extreme and made the game hard as hell. I dont mind a challenge but its gone from one extreme to the other and thats not good. You will actually get to see some decent platforming in TEN. This platforming is a nice addition but sometimes it may be a bit tedios but this is only a minor flaw. The game also adds in collectables which a nice feature, however, THe collectables will achieve you only Concept art. I frankly dont give a rats bum about concept art (but i do realise that some do), and if you complet a level without getting all the colectables in that level, you'll have to wait until you replay the game to achieve them all.
I'll have more on the gameplay when i finish the game, but at the moment, i can see its pretty mediocre.

Story-8.5/10
Once again, TLOS has excelled in it's story for the same reason as it's predossesor. Luckily, now ALL the cutscenes are skippable (be pressing the L1 button) which is a nice feature for people who dont like the story. But you'll have to wait a few seconds before the button can react and for parts where the cutscenes repeat and repeat again if you get killed (noticibly the bosses), this can be annoying.
But the story does Come in great form, Epic, High Quality and Interesting.
You may be able to see a bit of plotholes, The lip synching can be a bit off and the voice acting can sometimes not fit with the character but owell, these things can be forgiven with great quality like this.

Controls and camera-6.5
THe Controls are exaculy the Same As ANB except a few moves to make way for dragon time. Yes, we still have the crappy charge, The Hard to remember buttons and the Switched around Flame. But yes the camera is fine and the buttons arn't too bad.

Design-4.5/10
The Design has lacked in TEN, and you could probably see ever since you first play. The engine is so similar its narly like the same game, Spyros model is EXACULY the same, so is sparx. THe Enemies are exaculy the same but with different palettes and naes to disguise it. Heck, the boss ravage rider is the same modified boss of ANB's Steam. And any game which reuses the same BOSSES is just sad. Other bosses also look very similar. THe game is also very dark themed which prevents pretty colours, im not saying this is bad but hey, i cant use Sparx as a flashlight ALL day!.

Sound-6.5/10
THe Music has improved quite a bit since ANB though it still lacks just the feeling that you are in this mystical world. Ofcource this is only just me and you dont have to listen to me about the music but this just isn't my thing, i dont feel excited at all. Sparx is still the comedian of the series and the rest are serious soles, not bad. Yes they are voiced by Big name voices but hey, they're still not better.
Speaking of reusing things, Spyro's dieing lines are EXACULY THE SAME aswell as numerous sound effects (including Spyro's annoying girly squeal). I may be being picky but dont worry this is only a minor flaw. Atleast the monkey's annoying noises have vanished.

Lasting Appeal-4/10
I havn't finished the game so dont take my word on this, but after i've beaten this game once. i am Almost sure that i will NEVER play this game again. Its just too frustrating and repetative. A few of you might but not me. THis maybe because i Dont like combat games but sorry, once is enough.
Unlike ANB you will actually take a while to complete the game (only because its so frikin hard). You have the option tob go get the 40 Quills to unlock the Concept art but probably you'll just flunk out. Frankly, i believe these quills were just added to get reviews that say "OMG, TEN gave me tonnes of gameplay cause i gotta get da quills!!!1111".

Avarage-5.6

If THe developers could just learn and take Spyro back to his fame and glorious style which existed in The originals, maybe he will have a chance and a great future. Who knows whats going up with Spyro but if he continues the way he's going, soon he'll be in the bucket.

I still havn't finished it, and dont want to. This game isn't very enjoyable.
Its just fight, fight, fight, fight, fight. Theres some platforming here and there but that is also boring. The Dark colours and music send me off to sleep.

#88 Feb 24, 2008 1:59 AM

Scarabbug

#89 Feb 24, 2008 2:03 AM

ratchet
Website

I get what you are trying to say, yet this Reboot And change was unnessacary. I dont mind a litle change? But was this for the good? Not really. As you said, Mario Has been changed quite alot and he is still quite fun, why Cant Spyro be like that?

#90 Feb 24, 2008 2:08 AM

Scarabbug

#91 Feb 24, 2008 2:15 AM

ratchet
Website

I really just think they should have dumped Spyro completely if they couldn't fit the style of well... Spyro. I am not asking to fit Insomniac's style completely, but just bring the most elements or the games. Like the same buttons, the same gems, the same play style (eg. Stay as an action platformer) and include some of the older features (like portals, minigames and characters). Giving it a reboot might give them more freedom, but Why not just create a new franchise if your going to scrap almost everything that spyro was.
Adding New Characters, Story, Worlds, abilities is perfectly ok. Why isn't what was good 10 years ago insn't impressive now? I dont know, i guess people dont like 3d platformers anymore except if it has that overated character- Mario in it.

#92 Feb 24, 2008 2:23 AM

Scarabbug

#93 Feb 24, 2008 2:31 AM

ratchet
Website

It wasn't Travellers Tales For a start, it was Equinox Digital Entertainment who made ETD. Yes, Spyro is a cash cow, and well, your right. If he died out i wouldn't be talking to you.... but i still think THat the REboot was completely unneeded and that spyro could be fun, even with a similar engine to that one used 10 years ago. The Story and characters could have been easily merged into the original timeline. Spyro 3 also had a great story with a twist, but no one achnolowledges that because the graphics werent impressive. Back on my main thing, i think ANB and TEN are just as big of Cash cows as ETD.

#94 Feb 24, 2008 2:40 AM

Scarabbug

To ach their own.

I think they have quite obviously put a great deal of effort into making ANB and TEN good, involving games with great storylines (this is probably why the movie is being based on those games rather than the original - I bet the original would make a good series, though) and... I think they've reallytried, whether or not they actually succeeded.

Maybe some people don't like the attempt, but I intend to appreciate the effort, even I don't enjoy it as much as the original games, and even if it doesn't suceed.

As I say in my signature - This ain't your mother's spyro folks...

#95 Feb 24, 2008 2:50 AM

ratchet
Website

nope, its your garbage can's Spyro. Ican see that they tried to get the music all nice and orchestral, to gain fangirls with cynder (which they did), to make awesome cutscenes and an awesome plot, and bring in some spectacular voice talents. But the problem is that its nothing to do with "spyro", not to mention there Gameplay is awful. Look at TEN, The same boss Engines have been reused.

#96 Feb 24, 2008 10:35 AM

abbey1053

The only reason they had to reuse bosses is because they are only given one year. You can't make a good quality game within one year. They need more time for it.

#97 Feb 24, 2008 10:42 AM

ratchet
Website

lol, Both Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 were made in one year, and they were AWESOME.

#98 Feb 24, 2008 4:04 PM

SpyroGirl101
Gems: 10
Birthday: 14 April
Website

Good point Ratchet.

#99 Feb 24, 2008 6:09 PM

Scarabbug

Yup. One of the reasons Insomniac came out with such good games then 9and now) is because unlike many companies that try to do six games at once, Insomniac always focused on doing ONE very good game a year, rather than five or so substandard ones. It’s one of their strengths as a company, and one of the reasons why the early Spyro Playstation 2 games didn’t succeed – they were just cashing in on the title rather than living up to the story Insomniac created.

So you see you CAN make a great game in one year, if you work hard at it and ensure you don't try to do ten different things at once.

At least Sierra has TRIED to do something good. And the new game looks lovely to me.

And if you guys don’t like the new Spyro- hey, that’s fine with me. I happen to be rather fond of it and I know enough about the industry to be sure that the reboot may not be to everyone’s cup of tea – but it’s already earned them a fortune and brought in a tone of new fans so they MUST be doing something right (granted not their gameplay difficulty... <_<). It’s only up from here.

#100 Feb 25, 2008 7:28 AM

ratchet
Website

Most people just like the story.... either that or bashing people up.Doing Something right? Not really, the gameplay has became as dull as grey. Besides, i cant even call these fans "Spyro fans" Because TLOS has NOTHING TO DO WITH SPYRO. REboot wasn't needed, AT ALL.

Board footer