You are not logged in.

#1 Oct 23, 2007 12:55 AM

Zekira Drake
Gems: 0

Boss Tactics, I need a few references.

#2 Oct 23, 2007 1:15 AM

Brom the Wise

Re: Boss Tactics, I need a few references.

#3 Oct 23, 2007 1:27 AM

Zekira Drake

I know that, what I'm thinking is if there is an easier way to dodge them, because they have insanely fast swining power.

Remember, the objective here is to defeat bosses without getting damaged. DT is not proving effective against them...

But here's the general idea for quick work of the Elemental Spirits:

Fire -- use Comet Dash's Stun Lock
Ice -- use Ice Bomb's Super Slowing
Electric -- ????? Hit and Run Electric Bomb???
Earth -- Dodge and attack, use Earth Slam to make Invisible Frames

#4 Oct 24, 2007 6:09 AM

Spyro_Loves_Me
Website

Oh, I was able to get through w/o taking damage by using dragon time. Just gotta keep an eye out for which style of attack they'll hit you with.
I mostly used melee too. Didn't do many elemental attacks when I was using earth and electricity.

#5 Oct 24, 2007 7:43 AM

Zekira Drake

I too think that you won't use any elementals on Earth and Electricity.

Alright, now can people help me out with OTHER bosses...

#6 Oct 26, 2007 12:27 AM

DUD

The Executioner is easy enough.  I don't know if you want this particular info or not, but the best way to handle him is to get just close enough to him that he makes ready to strike, then run away(towards the screen) and a bit to the right and hopefully he uses his vertical smash and not his stupid stompy thing.  When his sword is stuck, close in and use DT to deal as much damage as possible and get away before he recovers.  Repeat until his first bar is gone and his shield with it, then use Earth Flail on him to do max damage.  Then use the same tactic as before to finish him off if the Earth Flail doesn't finish him, but be extra careful.  Not much else to do that I can think of, but that works pretty well.  (First play through you might want to keep up with the first tactic until you deplete his second bar)

Skaab (first encounter): First Phase: He will either shoot his hook at you or walk toward you and try a horizontal slash on you.  The former can be avoided by dodging right just before he shoots the hook, there is a slight easily seen windup time when he uses his hook.  The latter can be avoided by just keeping your distance from him.  When Skaab's hook gets stuck in the ground, use DT and attack him from the ground.  Second Phase: Skaab will shoot a hand cannon machine gun style and then shoot many cannon balls at once in a spread.  The former can be avoided by moving from side to side and hoping over his shots when you change directions to go the other way.  The latter can be avoided by double jumping up and gliding a bit just before he shoots a spread and dropping back down as the spread comes your way.  This is a bit tricky to time, but is the best way to avoid the spread attacks.  After a number of spread shots his hand cannon will malfunction for a few seconds providing you with an attack opportunity.  DT is not neccessary since you can only get about three hits off him before he recovers, but DT can assist in seeing when he is recovering and get out of range of his counter attack.  I haven't tried any breaths or fury attacks on him, but keeping the above tactics in mind I can get out of that battle without taking damage easily enough.

Now what would interest me is how to take out the two Blundertails you have to fight in the arena without taking damage.

#7 Oct 27, 2007 9:29 AM

Zekira Drake

The Blundertails are too easy to be true -- they aren't even bosses!

We know the typical knock-up could only defeat them. Well here's the deal. Before you even approach them, throw an Ice Bomb Level 3 directly infront of their face and walk somewhere near it. The Blundertails SHOULD walk into the ice fog that's left by the bomb. When they walk there, this would slow their speed by 2 times. Knock-up one of them and activate DT, making them slowed by 8 times normal speed! Quickly use Spin Tail and throw another Ice Bomb. Then use the remaining magic power you have to waste it on an Electric Spin. This should take care of one, and try to Tail Strike it before it gets back up. Then after one is left, it shouldn't be hard to unwind it.

@DUD -- your Skabb 1 tactic is correct, but pretty straightforward, but it's really like that.
For Skabb 2, you don't need to double jump for the cannon spread. The rhythm is easy to get for jumping a single time, so that you do not waste about a second because of a double jump. Hell, even a low trajectory jump is good enough already (press X weakly to do a low jump). Actually, DT helps add more hits to enemies. Although DT does slow you down by 2 times, DT slows down enemies by 4 times!
For the Executioner, here's the deal -- do not waste your magic power with anything that is not an Earth Slam or a Comet Dash! When he does any strike at you, and you have magic power, use an Earth Slam to PASS THROUGH THE STRIKE, and then do a full 3 part combo. Don't overdo this, though, and try to make his weapon stuck in the ground. When that happens, activate DT and use the Comet Dash's "Stun Lock" tactic to bring him down to 0 life immediately after.

#8 Oct 29, 2007 9:22 PM

DUD

I tried using Ice bombs to slow the blunders down, but it didn't seem to work, oh well, maybe I just really stink at fighting them.

Um as far as the second part of the first encounter with Skaab, how can you not get hit by the spread just using a single jump?  Everytime if I only do a single jump I get hit, unless I'm at the far extreme to the left or right of the spread.  I'll do another playthrough and experiment with it, ah its an easy battle anyway.  Oh, and I know you can only hit him three to four times at a time even with DT.  He seems to recover as soon as the third hit lands.

Executioner, hmm, I can see the Comet Dash tactic, but the Earth Slam I'm not too sure about.  I still think the flail in quick bursts is pretty devestating against him and I would still break the shield first before using any magic attacks so that they have max effect.

I'll put each of your tactics to the test to see if I can't see a better way.  Oh, and do you have your tactics on the other bosses post somewhere?

Sorry can't resist suggesting a better way to beat the Elemental Spirits. I would use Earth Flail on the Earth Spirit.  Just tap the breath button in real quick bursts rather then holding it down.  I can beat the Earth Spirit in about 10 secs doing that with Lvl 3 Earth (sometimes his animation freezes up its so fast).  The Lightning Spirit can be beaten real quick by using Lightning bombs to break the shield and then as soon as the shield is broken using DT and using the whirlwind attack on him, going to the left and behind him to just grind away at his health bar at quick speed (be careful not to go to far to the right as you aproach him or you'll just bounce off his respawning shield).  Then bust up the green crystal some and repeat.  Fire, use the fire breath to bust the shield then immediatly use Comet Dash aiming just to the left of his head so that you wind up behind him.  Might be able to use DT to get in a combo before he turns around or you might not.  Ice, you said it, just spam Ice bombs like there's no tommorrow.  Keep in mind the green crystal respawns.

I think I should also mention that I'm playing the Wii (winces at name) version so there could be subtle differences in combat.  A lot of my problem with the blunder tails is that I have to swing the nunchuck up to do a knockup and sometimes the sensor picks it up as another movement that makes Spyro do a normal attack.  I suppose I could get the classic controller, but then I would be once again have my hands fixed six inches apart.  Its so nice being able to move around any position I want with the Wii controls.

#9 Oct 30, 2007 2:16 AM

Zekira Drake

#10 Nov 01, 2007 12:53 AM

DUD

I meant the Wii-mote, BTW, I had gotten the two controllers confused, but you know what I'm talking about anyway.  The motion sensor is in the actual controller, BTW.  All the sensor bar is for is keeping track of the pointer position, which is not used in game.

I didn't say the elementals stop attacking when thier shield busts, but there is a slight pause, usually just enough to get behind if you use DT, or with the fire elemental, Comet Dash.

I do sometimes when I get in too much of a hurry!  With the elemental dragon it should be noted that one would need to watch for its wing attack which works differently and might throw one off if one is not careful, though it is easy to see and avoid so it shouldn't really be a problem.  Also their is a certain angle with which to avoid confronting it with, because the tail strike actually comes down first, then to the side.  If one is in the wrong angle then one might get hit by the initial downward swing of the tail, which I know because I have had it happen to me before.  I think that happens when one is to far behind it.  I mention this for the benefit of all, BTW.

Hate having to fight Skaabs little cronnies during the first of the second battle with him?  Then don't fight them at all!  Instead just run around the outer edge of the arena and his cronnies will do themselves in for you!  (cronnie runs at Spyro, then leaps at him and misses.  Cronnie goes flying overboard!)  The bigger cronnies can be dealt with normally.  I also hate to admit it, but Earth Flail in quick bursts is also very effective against him.

Board footer