You are not logged in.

#1 Dec 28, 2019 7:31 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Did you believe in Santa? Should kids be told about Santa?

I’m sure I’ve made a thread about this at least once, but it’s been long enough that it would get a new batch of answers this time.

I personally was raised without Santa and preferred it that way. We have also chosen to skip the whole charade with our kids, too. We think it’s a good way to take out some of the commercialization of the holiday, making it less about getting stuff and more about the original, religious meaning. And about gratitude for what you receive instead of just expecting some list to be checked off.

Our son (almost 5 now) was asked several times this Christmas season things like “Did you make a Christmas list for Santa?” “What did Santa bring you?” “Did you get a picture with Santa?” All of which were met either with blank stares of confusion or something along the lines of “no, my mommy and daddy got me presents.” Last year one of our neighbors asked him about Santa and he just said “Um, Santa’s not real.” So slightly more tactful this year, haha.

A lot of people are apparently deeply offended by this and think that not spreading the Santa story takes the “magic” out of Christmas or something. IMO, if your idea of magic relies on a lie, I don’t need magic. Christmas is plenty fun without believing your gifts are coming from a magical source that judges you behavior for the entire year.

What do you guys think?

Does Christmas need Santa?

Yes 25%
No 75%
Undecided/other 0%
Total votes: 4

#2 Dec 29, 2019 2:15 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

Re: Did you believe in Santa? Should kids be told about Santa?

#3 Dec 30, 2019 3:45 AM

Mr. John
Gems: -2,720

I was raised in believing in the jolly old elf.

But I think saying he’s not real is fine. Eventually your kids will find out he’s not real and well. They’ll move on knowing family gets them these things.

I think there’s no wrong or right answer but being truthful and letting know from a young age and being truthful is a right way to go.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#4 Jan 01, 2020 4:01 PM

Steinar34
Banned
Gems: 11

I mean i believe Abrahamic religions were made out of spite, not truth. If You look at The history and values of it. And what if promoting some of those values does The opposite.

I made a new religious cult. God of Obvious Good and Evil. The real truth

But to sum up, reason society goes bad is religion in government, marxism or fascism. What they need to hold onto power is scapegoating. And thats what makes a society go bad. Democracy AS institution probably is best so far, aswell AS it has bonus stuff like human rights focus.

But when it comes to fictional joy like Santa...if You are encouraged to do good things. Then i dont see it AS bad thing.

But AS a whole... never really bought into Santa, i dont think it was overly glorified. It just seems like some tradition like christmas is in a sense where The main focus is to show appreciation and good will to other people. But aslong AS humans Learn how to be Kind to one another « Death stranding video game for example» then i think its good. To learn how to appreciate others and learn The meaning in it. Be Nice and do your best.

Last edited by Steinar34 (Jan 01, 2020 4:29 PM)

#5 Jan 01, 2020 4:41 PM

Twingo
Gems: -1,618
Birthday: 23 May

Cool how do I join your cult?

#6 Jan 01, 2020 4:59 PM

Steinar34
Banned
Gems: 11

#7 Jan 01, 2020 5:26 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#8 Jan 01, 2020 10:05 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Board footer