Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 May 05, 2018 1:48 AM

Aquila King
Member
Registered: May 02, 2018
Posts: 106
Gems: 812

Updated Controls

What changes (if any) would you support for Spyro's controls in the new trilogy?

I personally wouldn't mind the hover ability being implemented in the first game, and the roll ability being implemented in the other two games. But some might not like that.


fba9f794aaa55cbbe17b9866b94a6324.png

Offline

#2 May 05, 2018 2:57 AM

Paranoia
Moderator
Award: contest mod
From: Minnesota
Registered: Jun 03, 2006
Posts: 4,346
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Gender: Male
Website

Re: Updated Controls

I'm kind of a purist with the original games, but would be OK with those changes. Hover just makes sense for all games; they could even adjust ledges in spyro 1 to require hover in some situations. Roll was always pretty useless, so doesn't have much impact

It would be cool if the double jump glitch from Spyro 2 stayed though but that's super unlikely

Offline

#3 May 05, 2018 3:01 AM

Twingo
Member
From: Happy Town
Registered: Jun 22, 2012
Posts: 2,420
Gems: -1,316
Birthday: 23 May
Age: 22 years old
Gender: Male

Re: Updated Controls

Paranoia wrote:

It would be cool if the double jump glitch from Spyro 2 stayed though but that's super unlikely

Agreed. I want to break the game like you could in the original except in HD. It wouldn't be the same otherwise sad


In the absence of a conscious entity, the moon remains a radically ambiguous and ceaselessly flowing quantum soup.

Offline

#4 May 05, 2018 3:09 AM

riverhippo
Member
From: Dallas, Texas, USA
Registered: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 2,077
Gems: 1,093

Re: Updated Controls

I prefer continuity.  I do not want hover to affect the game play of Spyro 1.  If its identical to the hover in Spyro 2 and 3, it would be too easy to reach some of the more challenging ledges in Spyro 1.  I think the best trade-off would be a way to unlock hover at the end of Spyro 1, maybe in the level Gnasty's Loot.

I think people underestimate the roll move. Yeah it was under-utilized in the first game and then never used again.  But there were moments in Spyro 2 and 3 in which it might be more useful.  If they decided to add it to the sequels, it might require some special button mapping, though.

Another minor example of this is Sparx's gem compass ability.  Don't make it available in Ripto's Rage, as it doesn't make sense that you can do that all Spyro 2, but then have to unlock it in Midday Gardens in Spyro 3.

Headbash shouldn't be available until you buy it in Winter Tundra.

There's a way to synchronize the controls between the three games, without butchering the intended maneuverability of the player.  Spyro should be the most under-powered at the beginning of Spyro 1.

Last edited by riverhippo (May 05, 2018 3:12 AM)


e8fc45ea2f294f875c1a5aaf8759e828.gif
Wake me up...    when September ends is here...

Offline

#5 May 05, 2018 3:29 AM

Aquila King
Member
Registered: May 02, 2018
Posts: 106
Gems: 812

Re: Updated Controls

riverhippo wrote:

I think people underestimate the roll move. Yeah it was under-utilized in the first game and then never used again.  But there were moments in Spyro 2 and 3 in which it might be more useful.  If they decided to add it to the sequels, it might require some special button mapping, though.

I agree. I actually used it quite frequently in Spyro 1, even though in most cases it wasn't necessary.

I think it's primarily viewed as useless simply because there were so few enemies or world-based scenarios where it was the preferred option. The only real place I can think of it being incredibly useful are against the dogs in Toasty. They could've designed various enemies or maybe even some sort of platforming segments where rolling was incentivized, if not outright necessary. So really the roll ability's uselessness is more to do with the environment of Spyro worlds as opposed to the ability itself.


fba9f794aaa55cbbe17b9866b94a6324.png

Offline

#6 May 05, 2018 3:13 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Member
From: here: tinyurl.com/ihb5ycbc
Registered: Aug 15, 2008
Posts: 16,545
Gems: -2,761
Birthday: 2 August
Age: 25 years old
Gender: Male
Website

Re: Updated Controls

Aquila King wrote:

What changes (if any) would you support for Spyro's controls in the new trilogy?

I personally wouldn't mind the hover ability being implemented in the first game, and the roll ability being implemented in the other two games. But some might not like that.

i'd be okay with this, especially if - as riverhippo suggested - they were unlockable, or something.

i wouldn't want any of the other controls to change.


36sig.png
"Burping a lot lately 36?" - Mr. John

Offline

#7 May 05, 2018 3:54 PM

riverhippo
Member
From: Dallas, Texas, USA
Registered: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 2,077
Gems: 1,093

Re: Updated Controls

Another inconsistency between 1 and 2+3  is the X button in flight levels.  In Spyro 1, pressing the x button made him fly up like a jump.  Sometimes this was useful to quickly change your altitude.  In 2 and 3, he still flaps his wings with the X button, but the movement was removed.  I never understood why.  Also, am I the only one who occasionally mashed the x button thinking it would make me faster?

I also just remembered that the flip and inverted flip in Spyro 1 wasn't duplicated either.  Or maybe I just never knew that Spyro 2 and 3 had those abilities too.

Last edited by riverhippo (May 05, 2018 4:05 PM)


e8fc45ea2f294f875c1a5aaf8759e828.gif
Wake me up...    when September ends is here...

Offline

#8 May 05, 2018 4:01 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Member
From: here: tinyurl.com/ihb5ycbc
Registered: Aug 15, 2008
Posts: 16,545
Gems: -2,761
Birthday: 2 August
Age: 25 years old
Gender: Male
Website

Re: Updated Controls

riverhippo wrote:

Also, am I the only one who occasionally mashed the x button thinking it would make me faster?

i could never tell for sure if it actually made me faster or not, so i just did it.


36sig.png
"Burping a lot lately 36?" - Mr. John

Offline

#9 May 05, 2018 4:13 PM

riverhippo
Member
From: Dallas, Texas, USA
Registered: Apr 10, 2010
Posts: 2,077
Gems: 1,093

Re: Updated Controls

Something I just read on the Spyro reddit talking about this subject but not in the context of the Reignited Trilogy, Cyreides (Myth's Awaken Developer) says:

"[In Spyro 1] Moving left or right while charging causes you to sort of slide around, as if Spyro is being carried by the momentum from charging forward still. In 2/3, this doesn't happen. You go directly where you're charging at with no sliding side to side.

Also, as far as I can tell, you stop quicker from a glide/charge in Spyro 1 vs the sequels. There's less skidding. This is especially noticeable when charging and jumping up stairs. In 2/3, you're far more likely to stun yourself and rebound off of the next step trying it than you are in the first game."

I did always notice this when playing through the trilogy and transitioning to the Spyro 2 controls.  Small things like this really impact your ability to control Spyro, so it goes without question that these controls would be similar throughout the trilogy coming this year.  And if they don't make them the same, then they are way more faithful to the originals than we thought, lol.

Last edited by riverhippo (May 05, 2018 4:14 PM)


e8fc45ea2f294f875c1a5aaf8759e828.gif
Wake me up...    when September ends is here...

Offline

#10 May 05, 2018 8:42 PM

Mr. John
Member
From: Idol Springs
Registered: Feb 12, 2010
Posts: 7,822
Gems: -1,797

Re: Updated Controls

I don't mind new or old controls ether way should be exciting, might be other things besides, the standard, flame, charge, and hover we'll see. I'm fine regardless.


If you have a goal don't ever give up till you accomplish it.

Offline

#11 May 11, 2018 1:03 AM

Aquila King
Member
Registered: May 02, 2018
Posts: 106
Gems: 812

Re: Updated Controls

Mr. John wrote:

I don't mind new or old controls ether way should be exciting, might be other things besides, the standard, flame, charge, and hover we'll see. I'm fine regardless.

I'm curious. Would you (or anyone else) be down for adding in other breath abilities like in later games? (maybe as like a cheat code, or completion bonus, unlockable, etc.)

For me personally, so long as they don't add it as a crucial part of the original gameplay and it remains solely as an added bonus, I wouldn't mind. I'd actually find it kinda fun. Alternate breath abilities was always an idea I wish was implemented in the original trilogy, cause it's such an interesting and unique concept that allows Spyro to interact with the environment in various ways that you can't do with just a simple flame breath. I think the original team at Insomniac would've implemented it quite well in the originals if they had thought of it. I mean look at the variation they gave to Rathet and Clank's gun arsenal. If they had done that level of variation with Spyro's original breath ability, then perhaps they wouldn't have even dropped Spyro as one of their IPs.

That may be an unpopular opinion of mine though. I still love the originals with or without alternate breath abilities, just thought it'd be a nice added flavor to it all.


fba9f794aaa55cbbe17b9866b94a6324.png

Offline

#12 May 11, 2018 2:27 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Member
From: here: tinyurl.com/ihb5ycbc
Registered: Aug 15, 2008
Posts: 16,545
Gems: -2,761
Birthday: 2 August
Age: 25 years old
Gender: Male
Website

Re: Updated Controls

Aquila King wrote:
Mr. John wrote:

I don't mind new or old controls ether way should be exciting, might be other things besides, the standard, flame, charge, and hover we'll see. I'm fine regardless.

I'm curious. Would you (or anyone else) be down for adding in other breath abilities like in later games? (maybe as like a cheat code, or completion bonus, unlockable, etc.)

For me personally, so long as they don't add it as a crucial part of the original gameplay and it remains solely as an added bonus, I wouldn't mind. I'd actually find it kinda fun. Alternate breath abilities was always an idea I wish was implemented in the original trilogy, cause it's such an interesting and unique concept that allows Spyro to interact with the environment in various ways that you can't do with just a simple flame breath. I think the original team at Insomniac would've implemented it quite well in the originals if they had thought of it. I mean look at the variation they gave to Rathet and Clank's gun arsenal. If they had done that level of variation with Spyro's original breath ability, then perhaps they wouldn't have even dropped Spyro as one of their IPs.

That may be an unpopular opinion of mine though. I still love the originals with or without alternate breath abilities, just thought it'd be a nice added flavor to it all.

i would LOVE if they enabled the other breaths in other places. like you said, as a cheat or bonus or something. because with CheatEngine, i can even force-load certain abilities into other levels, but unless that ability is used in that level, it either won't work, or it'll crash the game. like if i isolate the value for that green breath Spyro gets in Ripto's Arena, i can make Spyro "have" that ability in, say, the Winter Tundra homeworld, but nothing will happen when Spyro does the breathing animation. sometimes the game just crashes.


36sig.png
"Burping a lot lately 36?" - Mr. John

Offline

#13 May 11, 2018 2:36 AM

Mr. John
Member
From: Idol Springs
Registered: Feb 12, 2010
Posts: 7,822
Gems: -1,797

Re: Updated Controls

Like Electric and Ice Breaths? Yeah if they added stuff like that I'm game a quick cheat code and it gets added, having that on top of his signature Fire Breath/Flame and Charge would be good I'd like the addition overall.

Last edited by Mr. John (May 11, 2018 2:37 AM)


If you have a goal don't ever give up till you accomplish it.

Offline

#14 May 11, 2018 3:18 AM

Aquila King
Member
Registered: May 02, 2018
Posts: 106
Gems: 812

Re: Updated Controls

I hadn't even thought of the special breath abilities you get from the orbs when fighting Ripto! yikes I was just think Ice and Electricity, etc. Those others would be amazing to see implemented as a cheat code or something.


fba9f794aaa55cbbe17b9866b94a6324.png

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB