Website

Something That's Always Confused me... [Spyro's magical disappearing spikes]

#2 Jan 19, 2010 7:20 PM

Sheep
Award: Skateboard Contest Winner
Gems: 0
Birthday: 20 January
Website

Re: Something That's Always Confused me... [Spyro's magical disappearing spikes]

I have noticed the spikes too. I think, when they made the high poly Spyro models, they thought he looked better with spikes. But in the game, on the ps1 Spyro model, they would probably need too many polygons, or would be in too strong contrast to the body and ruin his look.

#3 Jan 19, 2010 11:07 PM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

Re: Something That's Always Confused me... [Spyro's magical disappearing spikes]

I noticed this too. I always just thought it was just Spyro maturing as the games progressed, but I never looked too much into it. I think Sheep's probably got the answer right on for this one.

#4 Jan 24, 2010 2:37 AM

yearofthe
Website

Hm, that is odd.  It would've been cool if he did had spikes!

#5 Jan 24, 2010 6:34 AM

ratchet
Website

Perhaps its a puberty thing?

#6 Mar 06, 2010 1:42 PM

pur

Probably simple graphical limitations. The spikes would need a new set of textures which would obviously take u space on the disc.

Mass mental scarring, AWWAAAYY!!

You have it lucky compared to my other haunts...

#7 May 28, 2010 6:43 AM

SpyroDarkdude01

We might have been here today if they managed to get spikes in. Because less intresting things on it. You know. Everything else would look bad if spikes were there. Maybe, no would have liked the Insominiac 3 if it weren't...
alright I am thinking way too deep about this, don't need to.
Let's just say it's Pubertey and levae it at that.

#8 Jun 21, 2010 3:02 PM

JazzJackrabbit

Maybe in the possible yet unlikely remake he will have them.

Yo, Spyro
I'm really happy for you, but Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the best platformers of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

#9 Jul 25, 2010 4:08 PM

Keby
Website

I just think that when they hit Ripto's Rage/Gateway to Glimmer they thought the spikes looked better, but, as already stated, seeing as it was on Playstation One they could not do all the detail.

I also am not sure if there are truly no spikes in Year of the Dragon, seeing as his back is obstructed in both images.

Board footer