Razz
Gems: 0
Website

The Official Gaul Fan Club

#2 Feb 19, 2008 1:32 AM

Spyro

Re: The Official Gaul Fan Club

I like Gaul a lot! I'd be lying if I said he was my favorite villain (the Sorceress earned that title) but he's very menacing and his glowing green eye socket is cool and mysterious.

#3 Feb 19, 2008 1:48 AM

Razz
Website

The Sorceress was pretty awesome (she's so evil and adorable!). big_smile

In all the excitement of posting the initial post, I forgot to actually mention why I like Gaul. *facepalm* big_smile So here's the story.

Initially, I didn't take much note of Gaul. I thought he was cool as a villain and nicely designed but, really, just another monkey. Then I realized no one had drawn fanart of the old guy and that didn't seem right since he was pretty cool (and has an AWESOME voice; for those who are unaware, he was voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson with no special effects used; that is Kevin's real voice o.O). I sat down to draw some Gaul art and, my brain being what it is, I decided to draw the funniest thing I could think up, which was a pin-up.

And it all went downhill from there. XD

Since the obsession took off, I've found a huge number of things I like about Gaul:
* his voice
* his character design
* glowing green eye! (Green is my favorite color big_smile)
* the implications that he's not completely evil
* his butt (hey, I'm over the legal age in my country, I can look! big_smile)
* a ton of other things (the number of little details I've noticed is just sad, but in my defense, AD/HD makes it possible to pick up the things most people don't notice) big_smile

So, what is it you guys like about the Ape King?

#4 Feb 19, 2008 1:49 AM

Volteer32

Not only that but how he can shoot a laser beam from it - TEN Gaul Fight Round 2 where you hover around and blast him from afar ... lol

He's alright smile

#5 Feb 19, 2008 2:39 AM

power to the people

Hey thanks for pposting my art big_smile . I also share a fascination of Gaul as a character (seeing as I also have ADHD <_< ). His design always seemed like more of a charicature than an actual design because of the improportionality of upper body to lower body. Also being able to draw outside of the common sense of physics, physiology, and anatomy is really fun and refreshing. To sum it all up I love to draw Gaul and you have Razz to thank for requesting Gaul art otherwise I probably never would have drawn Gaul.

#6 Feb 19, 2008 3:00 AM

Razz
Website

Does this mean I get to harass you for more Gaul art, PttP? big_smile Naw, I keed. I don't want to overload you or make you do anything you don't want to. (Also, huzzah! I didn't know you had AD/HD too! A kindred mind! smile)

Gaul (and the apes in general) are such unique creatures. The dragons aren't all that unexpected, but when you sit down to draw an ape, it's very different. Rather refreshing, I find it all.

That laser eye scared the snot out of me the first time he hit me with it. Then it made me mad (because Spyro tumbled right off the edge of the cliff). Now I don't mind if I have to re-fight Gaul and that evil laugh amuses me to no end. big_smile

#7 Feb 21, 2008 3:48 PM

Razz
Website

#8 Feb 21, 2008 4:46 PM

Sails_the_Fox

i HATE gaul. but i LOVE killing him! the music's cool and he die's and its so fun!

SF94's brother.

#9 Feb 21, 2008 5:29 PM

Razz
Website

Heeey. Fan club rule number one: no bashing Gaul, please. He's generally hated everywhere else, this is where we come to say nice things about him.

The boss fight was fun, though. That one was my favorite in TEN, and not just because you can slow down time and look at Gaul's butt (yes, I actually did that; I was trying to figure out if he wears pants or not XD; two or three fights later and with the help of my disturbed and disgruntled husband, it was determined that he does not big_smile).

#10 Feb 21, 2008 5:35 PM

Sails_the_Fox

.  o_O ...  ... . . . . . . ............. .... . . . . . . ........ im not gonna say nutt'n

SF94's brother.

#11 Feb 21, 2008 7:56 PM

Razz
Website

#12 Feb 21, 2008 8:01 PM

Sails_the_Fox

that looks really good!

SF94's brother.

#13 Feb 22, 2008 9:07 AM

Dragran

Aww... I was hoping that Gaul sketch would be from the rear perspectiv- Um, I mean.... That drawing of Gaul looks very realistic! >_>

Really though... I do have a bit of a thing for underappreciate characters like Gaul.  :-P

Seeing as Krome reuse some of the fights from ANB for TEN, there's a decent chance that Krome will remake (and slightly modify) the fight against "Gaul" in the third Los Game... So we might learn more about Gaul in the third LoS game... There's no guarantee that we will actually get to see/fight Gaul himself again though.  sad

#14 Feb 22, 2008 1:20 PM

Razz
Website

XD I can always draw him from behind. Again. big_smile

I know what you mean about underappreciated characters, Dragran. Before Gaul, I was the biggest Seem fan ever (still am), and I've become attached to Dulcy, who is almost universally ignored/hated by Sonic SatAM fans.

I really hope Gaul at least gets a mention in TDH. We saw Dark Cynder again in TEN, maybe it'll be something similar. Though I would not object to having another boss fight like his. That one was a lot of fun.

#15 Feb 23, 2008 5:08 AM

Dragran

Don't get me wrong, it's still good that more people are drawing Gaul. >_>

Ah... That would explain why you draw Dulcy sometime. I never knew that she is mostly ignored/hated though.  o_o

It's possible that Gaul still has a surviving friend or relative who uses a similar fighting style as him, so he/she may appear in TDH to avenge Gaul. I imagine that they will mention Gaul then.  :-P

I vaguely remember you mentioning somewhere that most of Gaul's relatives were killed off by dragons, but I think that was a part of your fan fiction.... right? Or am I missing some implications that indicate Gaul's family/relatives were slained by dragons?  o_O

Anyway, how many people here have seen the attack that Gaul uses if Spyro doesn't finish him off? I heard a few interesting things about the attack, so I might go see it for myself.  hmm

#16 Feb 23, 2008 2:19 PM

Razz
Website

The game implies (though maybe not intentionally, so this could be very wrong) that Gaul has outlived any of his relatives by several hundred/thousand years (we see him in the Chronicler's story when the Dark Master was originally alive). The bit with all of his living relatives and fellow apes being killed is part of "Hand of Darkness"; the games don't really delve all that deeply into who and what the apes are, and since I hate the idea of a single race being completely evil, I've figured out a somewhat complicated way to explain it all that still fits in with the rest of the game.

I think I saw Gaul's final attack in TEN. It's if you don't kill him with the dark fury, right? If it is, all he did was laser beam me off the platform, and laugh. big_smile

#17 Feb 24, 2008 12:56 AM

Dragran

Ah, I see. And, yeah, I agree. It's nearly impossible for an entire race of any species to be absolutely "evil". Evil is a pretty subjective term anyway.... World domination isn't too evil for an ambition anymore, in my opinion. Seeing as so many people want to conquer the world nowadays.  :-P   

...So Gaul shoots his laser beam to kill Spyro if Spyro doesn't use his dark fury?  o_O  Strange, I heard Gaul gives Spyro a fierce punch to finish Spyro off, which give me a mental image of Gaul using his own version of the  Falcon Punch (Basically charging up energy for about a second before delivering a very powerful punch).  It'd be really awesome if Gaul actually mimicked the Falcon punch though. XD

... Is Gaul's laugh any different when he fires a laser beam to finish Spyro off though?

#18 Feb 24, 2008 1:00 AM

Razz
Website

Gaul says in-game something like "(The Dark Master's) coming will usher in a new age of power for the apes and we will have our revenge!" which strongly implies that the dragons did something nasty to them in the distant past.

His laugh isn't any different as far as I remember. I'll have to re-play TEN and mess around in that fight to see (once I can drag my brain away from Portal and Psychonauts, that is big_smile).

#19 Feb 24, 2008 1:16 AM

Dragran

Ah.... I'm now hoping that was what Gaul meant by revenge as well, Razz. It's more interesting than having " avenging the apes in Dark Cynder's force that were defeated by Spyro " as what Gaul meant by revenge. 

I'll have to remember to see Gaul's final attack for myself when I have the time.  :-P

#20 Feb 24, 2008 11:56 PM

Razz
Website

#21 Feb 25, 2008 8:16 AM

Dragran

#22 Feb 25, 2008 1:39 PM

Razz
Website

I've seen some horrible things thanks to other people calling rule 34 and the general furry fandom. *eye twitch* But they're never around when I want them. So far, no one has responded to the request and the thread is quickly dying. Poor Gaul. I guess I really am the only person interested in that way. big_smile Granted, I'm kind of relieved; if I know furries (and I do), I don't think I'd like the art they had in mind. o.O big_smile

Kevin Michael Richardson is awesome! I love his voice work. smile

#23 Feb 26, 2008 7:08 AM

Dragran

Hmm...  Images and screenshots of Gaul are pretty hard to find, so that could be a reason why no one is responding to your thread, Razz.

Come to think of it.... I have only found two or three Gaul pictures on the internet, excluding all of the fan arts of Gaul that I've seen. I still don't get why Gaul is so underappreciated... It could have something to do with TEN being more frustrating than ANB, but there should be other reasons as well.

Seriously, I run into so many Dark Cynder screenshots and images on the internet, but I rarely get to see the ones with Gaul in it. Did you managed to find some good reference image for Gaul by now, Razz?

#24 Feb 26, 2008 6:18 PM

Razz
Website

I can easily see how a lot of people just never got to the Gaul boss fight. That one battle just before him was enough to almost make me quit and it has stopped a number of professional gamers with its frustratingness. >(

The only refs that are decent I've been able to get are from TEN itself. I either pause the cut scenes I have on my comp or I put TEN in the PS2 and spend an hour or so flipping through the gallery and drawing up reference sheets (Gaul is so complex he actually took up three pieces of paper for his ref sheet).

As for screens I've managed to find... I stole most of mine off YouTube and they are very low quality (which doesn't really matter with my vision being so bad, but it makes it tricky for anyone I send them to to get decent refs). If anyone can get screens from SamSam's cut scene footage, that would rock.

#25 Feb 27, 2008 1:00 AM

KingSkarl
Website

Gaul
fourth favorite villan (besides ripto crush and red)
i liked his charcter and his battle was awesome smile
to bad he's dead :'(...and his attacks are awesome
TORNADOES AND LASER BEAMS! 8DD

"Crush, Go through the portal you idiot!" ~ Ripto

Board footer