You are not logged in.

#26 Aug 11, 2018 2:27 AM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

Re: Spyro Reignited 2 and 3 is download only.

Last edited by riverhippo (Aug 11, 2018 2:34 AM)

#27 Aug 11, 2018 2:35 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#28 Aug 11, 2018 10:14 PM

Autumn Plains
Gems: 65

Thank you so much for your very detailed and interesting post, riverhippo, you have really helped me to understand how it all works and I'm no longer sitting here in confusion! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all of that to me.

I think what I will do is start looking into which console I think I will prefer, like you said, I shouldn't get a console just to play one game. So I'm going to go and look into what other titles might interest me for the PS4 and the X-box then make a decision on which console to buy - I will then wait until after the reignited Trilogy is released and get people's thoughts on it, speak to people on this forum before I decide if I want rush out and buy it immediately or wait it out, I've not played Spyro for at least 12 years now so another few months won't do any harm!

From what you've explained about downloads it doesn't sound all that bad to me, I do usually like to have a physical copy of things (that includes books, dvds etc) but if a download is the only way to go for Spyro then I think I'd be alright about it after you've explained how it works. To be honest I'm just super excited that I'm going to get to see Spyro again after all these years - its going to bring memories flooding back!

This forum is also great to see - so glad I found it and I'll get to share in the excitement of all us Spyro-heads when the game is released - the adventure continues!

Last edited by Autumn Plains (Aug 11, 2018 10:15 PM)

#29 Aug 12, 2018 7:39 AM

riverhippo

Last edited by riverhippo (Aug 12, 2018 7:41 AM)

#30 Aug 13, 2018 6:37 AM

Spyro3Fan200
Gems: 240

These games are PS1 games. When you remaster PS1 games you don't just "require download" for 2 out of 3 games. We all know they can fit all three games on the disc. The real bad thing is Activision doesn't want you to sell used copies 10 years from now.

Last edited by Spyro3Fan200 (Aug 13, 2018 8:08 AM)

#31 Aug 13, 2018 8:24 AM

riverhippo

I'm not a master of knowing how games licenses transfer from user to user or console to console.  In theory, anyone who has access to an account who owns a digital copy of a game, or access to a physical console that has the patches loaded properly, should be able to play the game in question.

For me though, it's just way more convenient to just have things digitally.  It stinks that I plan on buying this game multiple times so I can have it on multiple platforms, but I don't ever buy a game with the intuition that I'm going to sell the game later.  Not official yet, but the idea that it'll be coming to Steam has me feeling good about buying it on my Steam account and owning it for as long as computer gaming is a thing.  I do think that one of the reasons publishers release games in these tactics is so that used games are less likely to be sold.  But this time, I don't think that is the case.  I think it's more likely that the game wasn't fully finished in time, and they need to patch day 1 to make Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon playable.

Personally, I would recommend to everyone to just not buy games with the idea that you'll feel like selling the copies to cut your losses.  £30 for a 20-year remastering of three games that all together would have been priced around £90-£100 for new PS1 discs to me sounds like a great deal.  But the Spyro fan in me is just happy that they are doing it at all.  It's hard for me to see this as an anti-DRM business practice when the game they are releasing looks like a work of art.

#32 Aug 13, 2018 9:52 PM

Spyro3Fan200

That is what Activision is trying to do is all i'm saying. I'm not actually against the fact that you can't sell it but once steam, psn, xbox live and Nintendo go offline that's where a physical copy would be nice to have. I disliked Activision before, ( actually liked them growing up) but the fact that a P L A Y S T A T I O N 1 game being remaster on P L A Y S T A T I O N 4 (even if some of the largest.) needs a download at all shows  Activision dosn't care about appealing to Spyro fans. Spyro shouldn't really need a patch at all, it's Spyro it's not like you are online (not counting scores/leaderboard) They just want to get it out as soon as posible and they want to force downloaded content on people that don't want it to slowly convert them to digital downloads.

#33 Aug 14, 2018 9:28 AM

Mr. John
Gems: -2,720

This entire thing, is a mess I hope more is confirmed soon.

But I'd say it's worth the download.

When and if the PC and Switch versions, happen. PC will happen, Switch not so sure about yet. When and if they happen those will be worth the download too that's just me though.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#34 Aug 14, 2018 1:39 PM

riverhippo

Last edited by riverhippo (Aug 14, 2018 1:45 PM)

#35 Aug 14, 2018 4:28 PM

Spyro3Fan200

#36 Aug 15, 2018 1:49 AM

Mr. John

I know the game is coming for Nintendo Switch, guys just messing probably next year.  Till then PS4 and Xbox One versions are looking great!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#37 Aug 15, 2018 4:18 AM

riverhippo

#38 Aug 15, 2018 5:24 AM

raindrop717
Gems: 306

#39 Aug 15, 2018 10:57 PM

riverhippo

Yep, just watched it.  The Gamefly clue definitely confirmed that there is no DRM restriction.

The only argument left is if they should release the game.  And like I said before, I expected them to delay it before Summer hit, just because Crash also got delayed, and basically every Activision game that isn't a FPS gets delayed.  But here we are and it seems as though they are trying to hit the launch window and trying to build the plane in the sky.  I know this doesn't put everyone's mind at ease, but at least we know more about the reasons why this is happening the way it is.

I do think a physical copy with all three COMPLETE games will be available at some point.  Be patient.  Be excited.  Be Spyro.

#40 Aug 16, 2018 8:46 PM

Spyro3Fan200

If they delay it then Activision will get more respect from people. If they don't delay the game, even if the games are on the disc if there is a patch for a single player game you're going to have people upset over that. For me, to know that I can play through all 3 games without a patch or an internet connection is great. May not be the best performing version but it's nice to know that hese remasters won't be lost in time.

#41 Aug 17, 2018 4:40 AM

riverhippo

Last edited by riverhippo (Aug 17, 2018 5:53 AM)

#42 Aug 17, 2018 6:40 PM

FuturisticEggThief
Gems: 493

#43 Aug 17, 2018 6:43 PM

Mr. John

That did explain some stuff so happy, maybe some stuff was cleared up.

Cayla Mills

#44 Aug 18, 2018 3:07 PM

Spyro3Fan200

I wasnt saying patches shouldnt exist. Even though they shouldn't for Spyro I was saying that the games should be on the disc even if not in perfect condition. The patches I have no problem with.It's when I have to update the game (which at this point it doesn't seem like it.) just to get more than half the game  That's what I was saying.

#45 Aug 18, 2018 6:29 PM

riverhippo

I can't run this experiment, but I always wondered what the load times are like on a game that is running off the disc with no internet help.  My guess is that the disc installs on the HDD anyway so it ends up being the same.  Anyone confirm this?

#46 Aug 18, 2018 8:55 PM

Spyro3Fan200

Some consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 let you install the entire disc on the hard drive. You just need the disc to verify that you didn't pirate the game. Not all games have an install option, but most popular ones do. If you play on the Xbox 360 for example some of the last major games required installations but most of the games through it's lifespan made it optional it wouldn't even bring it up if you didn't know about installing your disc to the console. The PS3 makes you install a lot of disc games to it's hard drive compared to the 360. (I don't know much about Xbox 1 an PS4 but they do it too I think.) You never really have issues with long loading times unless you just don't install the game to the hard drive. Some games like Sonic The Hedgehog (06) can be installed to the hard drive but you don't see a difference because the quality of the game is really bad. In order to really see the difference between running of the disc and on the hard drive make sure you are testing a finished game that can at least load properly.

#47 Oct 29, 2018 7:58 PM

Aura24
Gems: 750
Website

#48 Oct 30, 2018 7:53 PM

Mr. John

Alright some clarification thank goodness.

Game is out soon. So this discussed was good, a day one patch still seems a bit crazy but I'm okay with it.

Hope everyone enjoys the game, don't be discouraged by having to upload the patch get the game and enjoy the charming, nostalgic games that made most of us. Spyro fans.

If you are still don't want it that's fine don't get if you don't want it.

Anyway should be fun going to be great.

Cayla Mills

Board footer