Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun 25, 2018 3:06 AM

FuturisticEggThief
Gems: 493

If Reignited Sells Millions of Copies, What Will Happen to Skylanders?

Personally I feel the two will coexist until around the early 2020s (Skylanders Academy is an example of why I think this).

#2 Jun 25, 2018 3:13 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Re: If Reignited Sells Millions of Copies, What Will Happen to Skylanders?

Yeah, it'll probably stick around for a while. Maybe TfB would expand to work on similar games simultaneously with Skylanders. (No idea how big the company is now.)

#3 Jun 25, 2018 6:24 PM

Aura24
Gems: 750
Website

Skylanders will likely still be making games after its hiatus, while Spyro Reignited sells. Activision is still working out on what to do with the toys to life franchise, since TTL is dying and their last few installments didn't sell well.

Plus Toys For Bob noted that Skylanders Spyro and Classic Spyro are different characters, so both can still coexist in some way.

Last edited by Aura24 (Jun 25, 2018 6:24 PM)

#4 Jun 25, 2018 7:54 PM

FuturisticEggThief
Gems: 493

#5 Jun 25, 2018 11:06 PM

Aquila King
Gems: 812

All negative feelings I had towards Skylanders have been lifted ever since the Reignited Trilogy was announced. big_smile

Kind of hard to argue that Skylanders is 'ruining Spyro' and 'a fate worse than death' when OG Spyro lives again!

#6 Jun 27, 2018 4:21 AM

Spyrofriend
Gems: 147

I think they will coexist in some fashion, and I expect there will be another skylanders game at some point, to go alongside a new Spyro set in the OG style.

#7 Jun 30, 2018 9:42 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

Skylanders Spyro was a publicity stunt to sell the first game
the OG is back
and he's gonna flame red's bum

#8 Jul 01, 2018 6:37 PM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

I dont think Skylanders and Spyro games are mutually exclusive necessarily.  The only reason we didnt have a spyro game was because Activision put those tools to do so into making skylanders.  If they had known Spyro would sell well by itself with Skylanders, theres no doubt they still would have done both.

Skylanders is up in the air, but it's not out yet, and will return in some popular capacity eventually.  But when it does, it doesn't mean Spyro is dead again.

#9 Jul 01, 2018 7:07 PM

Aura24
Website

I can imagine the comments when more Skylander games are made while Reignited is released:

"Why is Skylanders still going?! Spyro is back in his own games again, get him out of that toys to life 'trash'!"

#10 Jul 02, 2018 6:30 PM

Mr. John
Gems: -2,720

Skylanders is dead, and buried. Spyro is back hooray! Ahem excuse me, for that. Anyway  joking no worries I hope they can co-excist in some fashon I don't know what Skylanders fate will be as the toys to life thing, seems gone and done now. Spyro? I hope it continues after this in some way. Till then Spyro: Reignited Trilogy all day, baby woo!

Last edited by Mr. John (Jul 02, 2018 6:31 PM)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#11 Jul 02, 2018 10:14 PM

riverhippo

I have the unpopular opinion that a new Spyro game involving Skylands can go very well.  A lot of people would scoff at that and it would be a bad PR move for sure, but just imagine a game where it plays like Spyro games do, but has the environment and lore of Skylanders.  It can be done, and I think it would be awesome.

#12 Jul 03, 2018 2:42 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#13 Jul 03, 2018 4:56 AM

riverhippo

They did for 6 straight titles in 6 years.  But I think they are done with the model.  I don't think they are done with the IP in the slightest.

The latest thing Skylanders IP is doing is the launch of a mobile game that is basically summoner's war Skylanders skin.  A game that is "freemium" and takes a long time to mature a collection through regular play along with a brutal RNG system.  I tried it during the beta, and I immediate was upset because I knew that I could totally play a game like that, but it would completely demolish all the time I want to put into the other games I love.  So I ditched it.

My personal opinion is that we need to meet some game publishers halfway.  Activision is greedy for sure, and will do whatever it takes to scrap as much money from its base as possible to make their shareholders happy.  Sometimes that breeds bad business practices, and backfires.  But other times consumers are OK with certain pay models and quality game development.  Skylanders toys to life scheme died off, the first evidence of this was Disney Infinity pulling out, so fast they discontinued working on characters and stories already promises to fans of that series.  The fans were mad, but it was all understandable.  Activision will always try to look for new ways to make money off of us.  We'd prefer they just make a good game and make money that way.  But to them it's always been more lucrative to make money with gimmicks.  I imagine if and when new Spyro games and content comes, it might have a pay model that is not as ideal as "buy once and its yours".  It might have DLC (like Crash N. Sane Trilogy's bonus levels).  It might have separate chapters of a compelling story that release once every few months.  I hope it's not really slimy whatever it may be, but I think as fans we need to understand that a simple buy-to-play model may not be good enough for Activision.  We may end up having to decide whether having new Spyro games is worth having a loot box system in that game, or something to that extent.

#14 Jul 03, 2018 5:47 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

#15 Jul 03, 2018 7:04 PM

Aura24
Website

#16 Jul 04, 2018 2:53 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Website

#17 Jul 04, 2018 12:04 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Well yes, individuals running a company can certainly be greedy. However, it's most often not in the company's best interest to make decisions that people would consider as such. If a game company does something "scummy" people respond accordingly and stop buying the product or even boycotting the company, so the greedy individuals made a bad decision and actually hurt the company. The people who made those decisions could even be fired for hurting the goodwill of the company in the public eye.

No one has to buy a game; it's entirely voluntary on the consumer's part - if it was something everyone was forced to buy it would be different and I'd be more inclined to agree that it's "greed" driving these decisions - but it's not, so game companies, as well as the individuals who run them, have an incentive not to do anything people will hate. It's a small distinction but an important one IMO. Putting microtransactions in a video game you already paid for isn't immoral - it just makes it a crappy game that everyone rightfully hates. Nor is toys-to-life, for that matter; in fact, there were people who actually legitimately enjoyed the collecting aspect of it.

(I'm tired and I edited this post like 20 times so I hope it still makes sense and isn't too ramble-y.)

Last edited by Stormy (Jul 04, 2018 1:02 PM)

#18 Jul 04, 2018 8:45 PM

Aquila King

#19 Jul 04, 2018 8:54 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

#20 Jul 06, 2018 7:56 PM

Aquila King

#21 Jul 07, 2018 10:36 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Me! I love turn based RPGs actually. tongue That's just a genre preference; I meant it more like... well, microtransactions in a console 3D platformer.

#22 Jul 08, 2018 4:26 PM

riverhippo

I like to look at the optimistic business side of things.  And I think I can modify what you said to accurately portray their general consensus.

...everyone in the gaming industry with half a brain should realize micro-transactions in Spyro would be an aggressively profitable idea that would do them more good than harm...

We as gamers have the first reaction and ultimate approval of such a business decision, and I'm not saying they would do it, but I'm just confident that it's definitely on the table for consideration behind closed doors.

#23 Jul 08, 2018 4:40 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Website

classic Spyro is from the days when there were no microtransactions or DLC or lootboxes or anything in games - you purchased the game, you had the game. nostalgia glasses are fueling a lot of the hype surrounding the Reignited Trilogy.

the classic Spyro fanbase also has an insanely rabid subset that vandalizes Wikipedia articles and screams at Skylanders fans just in the small hope that doing either of those things will bring back the classic series.

it wouldn't be a good idea for them to put extra monetization options into these games, no matter how well the base products sell.

Last edited by 36IStillLikeSpyro36 (Jul 08, 2018 4:41 PM)

#24 Jul 08, 2018 5:31 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

#25 Jul 09, 2018 8:03 PM

riverhippo

Last edited by riverhippo (Jul 09, 2018 8:04 PM)

Board footer