Banned
Gems: 0

Linux is the future!

Ban reason: Trolling

#2 Mar 04, 2016 2:47 PM

NeoReaper

Re: Linux is the future!

-Intel I7 4770k 4.5Ghz / Phanteks U-Type Black    -Vengeance (Hynix) 16Gb 1600Mhz   -Kingston SSDNow M.2 / 2TB Seagate Constellation
-Asus Intel Z97-P    -Zalman z11 Plus Case    -Windows 10 Insider Edition    -XFX R9 280X 3GB

#3 Mar 04, 2016 4:52 PM

Steinar
Banned

#4 Mar 05, 2016 5:29 PM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

I dont think ubuntu is so user friendly, Linux mint is much more, but that is just my opinion. Steam runs fine on linux, but some games are still not supported. I didnt try steam os yet. I agree with neo that Linux is not yet so user friendly as windows (but got drastically better recently) and still has lower HW compatibility (especially printers in my experience). Maybe the steam os could bring more user friendliness in the near future... maybe.

The vulkan api is going to be a big competitor to direct x for sure, and I cant wait to see it in action, in comparasion with direct x!

#5 Mar 06, 2016 12:32 PM

LXShadow

I don't think Linux is the future. I'm gonna admit before anything else that I have a bias against Linux--just because it's not as massively widespread, user-friendly and familiar as Windows--but I just don't see it taking off and suddenly becoming the bigger thing, even if it is cleaner and more efficient. Windows is just bigger, familiar, and has more hardware support. It's like VHS vs. Betamax, and similarly it really doesn't matter which system is better performance-wise (which most PC users aren't looking for, at least over convenience, price, and ease of use).

I think the only thing that could put Linux on top of the gaming market is a major, highly modern/futuristic or incredibly cheap breakthrough system that runs with it. e.g. cheap VR/AR, or something game-changing in the same way smartphones were (and even then, only two popular OSes made it out of that battle alive, not even Windows survived that one). Anything else is probably gonna end up like the Ouya--something different, but with no clear benefits to the average person with no programming experience or interest in a marginal performance boost.

Although that said, doesn't Android OS run on top of Linux? In that sense, Linux might actually already have a hold on a big part of the indie market. It's not the PC market, but it's something.

Again though this is pretty biased--I'm a programmer who's been caught up around other programmers who worship Linux and OpenGL like they're gods in a world dominated by MicroDevil, and this outlook never resonated well with me. Society sucks and all that, there are monopolies, Microsoft's privacy rules are questionable, but I'd be durned if I spend weeks or months worth of extra time and research just to account for the 1% of people who refuse to use the more popular system purely because they dislike those extremely common societal sins (or want a small performance boost). It's not worth it. I'd love to see a new futuristic OS replace Windows, but it's not worth it right now.

#6 Mar 09, 2016 6:07 PM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

I also don't like the people who praise Linux too much, it can make it look worse in some cases, but that's for everything people get obsessed about. It has both good and bad sides, and it really isn't for everyone. I think it's good for people who like to have more control over their system, as well as the ability to customize it in their own way. It still needs to touch up a little bit to make it more user friendly, and the HW and SW support... On the other hand, I think that sometimes people make it look more complicated than it really is. For example, I installed it once on grandmoter's computer and she had no problems using it, i didnt have to go there to fix it or anything. It really improved havily compared to where it was few years ago. You don't have to use console now, people are still using it though, because it's usually much quicker than doing things in gui, which can also vary across distributions or desktop environments. It is different. People have to get used to it first, which takes time. They often don't know what good distribution to try first and end up with Ubuntu...

Anyway, I also don't think its going to become anything big in near future, people are used to windows too much. I wouldn't understimate it though, and Microsoft won't for sure.

Last edited by Gekoncze (Mar 09, 2016 6:09 PM)

#7 Mar 15, 2016 12:30 AM

Steinar
Banned

One thing i don't like about Linux, whether Ubuntu or Linux Mint and that it seems to not have support for multi-touch on the touchpad. So if i use two fingers to point my cursor at some point then it kinda stops on the spot, because it can only recognize one finger at a time?. If there is one thing Linux needs, and that is driver support for devices. Otherwise i think it would be a pretty decent alternative OS.

Last edited by Steinar (Mar 15, 2016 12:32 AM)

#8 Mar 18, 2016 10:47 AM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

Linux is nice for development and servers, but for casual use I prefer Windows or Mac.

Chessmaster
Level 67

Board footer