Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug 05, 2014 8:46 PM

Attackfrog277
Gems: 0

Something I noticed about this game.

It's VERY linear. Not only compare to its sequels, but other 3D platformers in general. I guess I might be able to point out other games with only a few goals in each level. But this game even level design wise is generally point A to point B with only a few branching paths that loop back to a certain part of the level or dead-ends. Twilight harbor is almost crash bandicoot linear, just one long road to transverse. This could also be a reason for the lack of side-quest or NPCs, its very focused and a kinda "go in do what the level requires, and get out" hence the 34 levels.

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Aug 05, 2014 8:47 PM)

#2 Aug 05, 2014 9:12 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Re: Something I noticed about this game.

I never noticed that, but now that you point it out, Spyro 1 levels really are a lot more linear.

I haven't played too many 3D platformers from that time, but I've always thought that this one was simpler than newer ones because the genre itself was new and the technology might have been more limited. I'm not sure how accurate that really is, but it was always my explanation for the lack of NPCs and challenges and might explain for the linearity as well.

Board footer