Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jun 16, 2014 7:13 PM

GameBoyBlue
Gems: 0

Please enable post delete [resolved]

This is a pretty basic feature to avoid embarrassment and promote courtesy, without leaving behind a blank edit instead. Please add!

resolved: edits are not viewable by mods and thus a blank edit is used.

Last edited by GameBoyBlue (Jun 17, 2014 7:04 AM)

#2 Jun 16, 2014 9:31 PM

NeoReaper

Re: Please enable post delete [resolved]

Sounds like a good idea...

-Intel I7 4770k 4.5Ghz / Phanteks U-Type Black    -Vengeance (Hynix) 16Gb 1600Mhz   -Kingston SSDNow M.2 / 2TB Seagate Constellation
-Asus Intel Z97-P    -Zalman z11 Plus Case    -Windows 10 Insider Edition    -XFX R9 280X 3GB

#3 Jun 16, 2014 10:14 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

We're not big on deleting things here. It can make threads get confusing if everyone starts deleting their posts whenever they feel like it.

If you're ever embarrassed of one of your posts, though, you can always edit the post to remove anything you don't want people to see. In extreme circumstances, you can contact a moderator to get the post removed.

Of course, the preferred method for avoiding embarrassment is to always think before you post. smile

#4 Jun 16, 2014 10:59 PM

Sear/Burst

You go Stormy! I saw the title, and I was about to say something along the lines of "It would be confusing".

#5 Jun 17, 2014 4:22 AM

GameBoyBlue

Wow, I completely disagree. I'm really not understanding how there could be an alternate perspective on this, and why we wouldn't want to give ownership of posts to the author.

#6 Jun 17, 2014 4:25 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

I'm confused about which part you disagree on, then? It's really uncommon for forums to have a feature for deleting your own posts, at least in my experience.

#7 Jun 17, 2014 4:27 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

i don't think i've ever seen a site that allowed posts to be deleted at any time.

for the first few minutes after it's posted i've seen, sure, and that'd be cool to have here if possible at all because there have been times where i posted in the wrong thread for example.

i don't really have an opinion on posts being deleted any time, i see where you're coming from but at the same time i don't see what's so bad about a blank edit. i don't know, this doesn't seem like the kind of forum where that kind of thing would be a bother, i see posts mostly getting deleted during arguments and that doesn't really happen here. i dunno.

Last edited by 36IStillLikeSpyro36 (Jun 17, 2014 4:27 AM)

#8 Jun 17, 2014 4:38 AM

GameBoyBlue

Interesting. I never knew. Some examples of forums which allow post deletion include Gamefaqs.com, most officially owned game forums such as mwomercs.com and robertsspaceindustries.com, and most news sites that allow comments. These sites usually leave a space saying "post deleted by <author>".

I see the fear of confusion, and I suppose that is why some sites leave a deletion notice, though many don't. My fear is moderators having too much power to view edits, and having to much power and really too much hastle to approve such simple exchanges.

#9 Jun 17, 2014 4:41 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Last edited by Stormy (Jun 17, 2014 4:47 AM)

#10 Jun 17, 2014 4:46 AM

GameBoyBlue

I admit I don't spend much time on fan forums, and it would seem this is just a butting of heads of official forum culture and fan forum culture. How much can a moderator view of edit history? Because if a mod can view history, and you need mod permission to delete a post entirely, well that creates a problem if you have a bad relationship with a mod, does it not? I'm sure the mods here are fine, though there are cases of more dominating ones.

Last edited by GameBoyBlue (Jun 17, 2014 4:49 AM)

#11 Jun 17, 2014 4:48 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Oops, I should have refreshed to see if you'd replied. See my edit at the bottom of my last post. I answered your question about edit history.

#12 Jun 17, 2014 4:51 AM

GameBoyBlue

I made an edit aswell. Alright, I think my issue is resolved. Thanks to everyone for sharing and explaining their perspective, even if it not my own. Which is perfectly alright. A "blank edit" and "deletion notice" really arn't so dissimilar in the end, anyway.

Last edited by GameBoyBlue (Jun 17, 2014 4:57 AM)

Board footer