Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr 14, 2014 2:48 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

Fancybox for YouTube videos

I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but what are your thoughts on using Fancybox (or something similar) for people to view YouTube videos on the website? The main upside I see to this method is the page loading time. For example, we have some threads specifically made for posting YouTube videos and for some the loading time can get kind of slow. Also, when a video is closed it "unloads" from the page to allow the user to open a new video on the same page.

I'm developing a website (for my BF1942 mod) and recently implemented Fancybox, which is why I brought it up here. It seems like a neat tool. I guess the only downfall is that users would have to click a link to bring up the video.

I can provide more information upon request.

Last edited by Swaffy (Apr 14, 2014 2:49 PM)

#2 Apr 14, 2014 3:39 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Re: Fancybox for YouTube videos

Interesting, but I don't think it would be worth it to make jQuery load in every thread view for just one plugin. hmm If there's anything like that that can do it in pure Javascript, I might take a look.

#3 Apr 15, 2014 5:01 AM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

I guess it was worth mentioning. I know it can be done in JavaScript using an OnClick function but that is a bit wonky. Okay, I'm done now.

#4 Apr 15, 2014 5:22 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Well, technically, onclick has to be getting called somewhere in that plugin because jQuery is really just a big collection of Javascript functions. tongue But yeah, point is, I don't want to increase the load times/bandwidth/whatever by loading all those functions on every thread where it more than likely won't be necessary. Thanks for the suggestion, though; if Youtube videos in threads were more common I could definitely see it being helpful.

#5 Sep 30, 2014 10:17 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

LOL, I just realized I'm already loading jQuery in the header on every page anyway for the poll mod. roll I might end up add some interesting features like this one after all. smile

Board footer