Lwr (reptillion)
Gems: 0

the chat room

#2 Jan 18, 2011 10:53 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Re: the chat room

SR contributes a server to our IRC host and it is most convenient for us to host the chat on such a server. Now, when the site was more active and had a much more energetic community of sorts the chat was more busy since everyone made a point to get on whenever possible and talk/argue about stuff.

We as the staff are on pretty much all the time, at least myself and SR are there if anyone has problems and such, but everyone else is really beyond our control. The chat room was created for the benefit of the userbase, it really is up to them if it's used or not.

#3 Jan 19, 2011 8:08 AM

bmah

Firstly, number of members isn't indicative of anything because many the majority of members are inactive.

And secondly, it would help if there was a good reason or incentive to visit the chatrooms. A lack of this is in part due to the lack of focus for Spyro-related topics, which is the main purpose for this site's existence...however, I think there's a good chance for more people visiting when there's more info on the new Spyro game I heard was supposed to be coming out in the near future.

I think a good way to get a number of people visiting the chatrooms (more than one or two) is to hold an event that's chatroom-oriented, or at least in part requires it. It could be a contest, chatroom games, etc. Again, the difficulty in being creative with these events is that this site lacks any particular direction, and so it's difficult to come up with some sort of theme. Gems could've been potentially used as a currency incentive for such events (prizes, etc.) but they don't have any particular use right now.

Come to think of it, I don't know what's stopping SR from implementing a separate webpage that acts as a store to purchase items (e.g. customizable posts & profiles). I wouldn't know how much more bandwidth would be required to maintain a point system for purchasing items. A store would really raise the incentive for people to visit this site in general. I know this idea has been brought up several times in the past, but I cannot remember why this idea never was taken more seriously.

#4 Jan 20, 2011 9:04 AM

Spyrorocks
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 4
Website

Create some items and we just might do that smile

#5 Jan 20, 2011 10:25 AM

bmah

For the forums here, I think what people would want are not necessarily physical items, but something that pertains to the cosmetic looks of the forum itself.

One example is a customizable title that modifies the look of your username:
- glowing text
-  different colored text (although you have to differentiate this from colors that identify mods, admins, etc.)
- different fonts
- moving titles?! (such as the one you have SR)

I initially had also the idea of a customizable template for your posts, or different templates for the site itself. However, the former would make every thread look chaotic if everyone had different styles of post designs. And as for the latter, I've heard that making new templates for the site is quite labor-intensive.

Hope that's some food for thought for things to "purchase".

p.s. also, no purchasing for username change; that's dumb

#6 Jan 21, 2011 1:50 AM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

Username auction.

Like that horribly addictive game Farmville I used to play.  Allowances given to everyone performance based, but a pay-in is allowed.

I doubt anyone would pay real money.

I promise you I wont, unless it's like a very tempting raffle or something.

#7 Mar 22, 2011 10:04 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

#8 Mar 22, 2011 10:13 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

Board footer