Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov 28, 2010 11:45 AM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

Legend of Spyro = Lord of the Rings ripoff???

#2 Nov 28, 2010 1:49 PM

Clock-la
Gems: 0
Birthday: 19 March

Re: Legend of Spyro = Lord of the Rings ripoff???

I'd say...it is Xd but..its not...you know I think its based on it but like you know what evs lol

#3 Nov 28, 2010 4:08 PM

JazzJackrabbit

I would have liked it to be closer to the LOTR story.  Just make it an easier to follow version with dragons and anthropomorphic animals instead of hobbits and the other human-like creatures.  It should have the official Tolkien seal so people consider it a companion series or spinoff, rather than shameless knockoff.

Yo, Spyro
I'm really happy for you, but Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the best platformers of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

#4 Nov 28, 2010 6:42 PM

riverhippo

#5 Nov 28, 2010 9:12 PM

Jackson117

Smegal and cynder...nope don't see it.

It's pure luck Wood was in the movies as he seems to be a decent voice actor= 9,Happy feet etc.

However Warfang is pretty much minas trinith

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#6 Nov 28, 2010 10:13 PM

riverhippo

#7 Dec 01, 2010 12:26 AM

NormanDPlume
Website

I'd say Cynder is a mix of Smeagol and Arwen.

LoS really does get a lot of things from LotR (and knock offs of it, like Dragonlance; this much is admitted by Mike Graham himself). It also does a fair bit of ripping off from the LotR games, from what I've heard, right down to the Golem being a Balrog.

But it's not just LotR that LoS rips off. It takes a lot of its story from Star Wars, in particular the new trilogy, as well.

#8 Dec 01, 2010 1:41 AM

riverhippo

I think LoS rips more off from Peter Jacksons overall illustration of the three modern films than the actual story.  I think Disney's Chronicles of Narnia would be a lot different had Lord of the Rings not been illustrated into the three films.  It would still be based from C. S. Lewis' books, but it would lack the luster that, before LotR's time, was considered a movie-making risk. (e. g. huge CGI detail in scenery, long effective pauses in the storyline that enhance emotion, and keeping elements of the original author's true--even for book to film.)

#9 Dec 01, 2010 2:20 AM

JazzJackrabbit

Yo, Spyro
I'm really happy for you, but Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the best platformers of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

#10 Dec 01, 2010 3:06 AM

riverhippo

moving away to avoid the earhquakes?  wow, that's lame...  LOL

I'm a pretty big Beatle fan, and I would have to say that legend has to be a sorry rumor.  However, it does explain how bad Yellow Submarine ended up becoming.  It's the worst thing the Beatles ever did, include breaking up...  IMO.

#11 Dec 01, 2010 3:15 AM

JazzJackrabbit

Yo, Spyro

OF ALL TIME!

#12 Dec 01, 2010 3:34 AM

Jackson117

Smegal and arwen.

Gollum was the other side of pure obession and hate

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#13 Dec 04, 2010 12:19 AM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

#14 Dec 04, 2010 1:22 AM

riverhippo

You could argue that there are few stories that don't draw from Tokein's works.  He revolutionized the style and captivity a good fiction novel has.

#15 Dec 04, 2010 1:36 AM

Jackson117

The only thing TLOS has with LOTR is the city...and the troll monster attacking the gate...End of story.

#16 Dec 05, 2010 4:40 AM

NormanDPlume
Website

And Frodo Baggins voicing the hero (who acts quite similarly), and a Balrog...excuse me, "Golem"...and a battle of orcs vs. elves...er, "dark forces" vs. moles in Minas Tirith...I mean Warfang...

This is just off the top of my head, but I can think of more if you'd like. Alas, it saddens me that it is an insult to one of the founding works of modern fantasy to compare a thing to it, but it is what it is, I guess.

#17 Jun 04, 2020 4:17 PM

KraytDragon
Gems: 15

I'd say not, but it sure reminds me of the Lord of the Rings, maybe because of Elijah Wood's voice.

#18 Sep 07, 2023 1:30 AM

Spyrofriend
Gems: 147

LOTR didnt have a female antagonist/protagonist, granted its because its came out in the 50s when fiction was almost exclusively male centered and the historic fiction Tolkien wanted to emulate with LOTR even more so.  Yes the Legends copies from LoTR, granted thats not entirely a bad thing. But the 3 games we got were very clearly limited by the budget so that a lot of world building and branching out simply wasnt possible on the roughly 1 million budget all 3 games got. seriously, how much did Gary Oldman charge for like 2 lines in a  the Eternal Night? Probably half the budget. Also why they kept changing Sparx and Cynders voices, to save money.  For me, Cree Summer did the best job as Cynder

Board footer