#1 Nov 18, 2008 6:08 PM

Torch Firetongue
Gems: 0

Legend of Spyro: Heart of Convexity

#2 Nov 18, 2008 6:49 PM

Torch Firetongue

Re: Legend of Spyro: Heart of Convexity

Anyhow, just to remind you again, I will be posting this story both on fanfiction.net or here. I'll do my best to keep the content under control, but if any of the moderators feel that the material is too intense for the younger audience I'll just keep adding on fanfiction.net while posting the link here.

One more thing, I've never been very patient when waiting for reviews and comments, so please, do so and I'll be more likely to update the story.

-Torch Firetongue

#3 Nov 18, 2008 9:58 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Very impressive. I am sensing Kingdom Hearts all over again lol...but if that's where you wish to base your story then power to you.

I write over on Fanfiction...and I think a story like this would do very well in our section. I only noticed one or two grammatical errors....but they are nothing serious.

Unless your on Fanfiction already then I'd say you have a very promising start. Keep up the good work....look forward to seeing more.

#4 Nov 18, 2008 10:21 PM

Torch Firetongue

Thank you so much for your review!!!

It will roughly follow the storyline of Kingdom Hearts, but there are several differences as already noted.

As for fanfiction.net, I posted it there before I posted it here, but I still have not received a single review from fanfiction yet!!

I actually tried writing a novel once while I was in high school. Tried and failed that is, even though I still have the 300 pg long manuscript. It was too disjointed, and I realized that I really wasn't that great a writer, that writing should just be a hobby for me rather than a profession.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to update whenever I can. Glad you like the story.

-Torch Firetongue

#5 Nov 18, 2008 10:32 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Well writing allows me to take somebody into a world that I can control...and I can lead them on a journey that nobody else could think of. It's just something I love to do...but only as a hobby like you stated.

If you have the story over there then I'm gonna make sure it get's noticed. This is a good piece that deserves attention...so don't worry I'll have some buds take a look at it.

Keep up the great work!

#6 Nov 26, 2008 3:14 AM

Torch Firetongue

Sorry for the lack of update. I've been busy with schoolwork lately, so I have not had as much time to work on the next chapter, which I have about two thirds done at the moment. Don't think that I've abandoned the story; I'm just a bit slow updating. Just stay patient and keep checking back.

-Torch

#7 Nov 26, 2008 6:01 PM

RedDragonX
Website

I update monthly lol..so there really is no rush...good writings take awhile to develop...but at least I don't have to worry about school right now lol..

#8 Nov 26, 2008 6:24 PM

flame1996

Awesome story man!
Lots of people don't realise what they are missing! Very good work. Check out mine! wink

#9 Jan 13, 2009 4:56 AM

Torch Firetongue

#10 Jan 13, 2009 7:04 AM

Torch Firetongue

Come on guys!! I devoted nearly two months to getting the next chapter posted, and not a single review of Chapter 2 yet!! Yeah, I admit its a bit long, but Kudos goes to anyone who gives a long, thorough review.

REVIEW!! NOW!!!

please?

#11 Jan 13, 2009 7:38 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Not much I can say except pretty good job man. Just little grammar things here and there...but other then that it was perfect....you're taking this in a really good direction. Keep it up!

#12 Jan 14, 2009 1:02 AM

Torch Firetongue

Thanks for the review ReddragonX. And I do mean it. In case you're curious, I also posted it on Fanfiction.

Normally, I'm a very patient person, but I'm not patient when it comes to lack of input in my work, as you might have noticed by now.

An interesting stat. I've noticed that my story on Fanfiction has gotten the fewest number of reviews for a story of that length. A grand total of 5. I don't know, maybe I'm just imagining things at this point, or that I have bad karma or something, but its quite curious on my part. I mean, am I inadvertantly ticking people off or something? Can you give me any advice, even if its BS advice, as to how I can get more reviews?

Regardless, I'll be working on the next chapter right away.

#13 Jan 14, 2009 1:11 AM

RedDragonX
Website

hmmmmm.....in terms of giving advice on reviews and such...it's hard....because you can never control what the other readers do. Even for my largest story...SOC....I only have 126 out of like 10,000 plus hits...but in terms of attracting people...I have had several different ways of doing so...I have kinda televised it on my summary...I have had other authors spread the word on the story....and I have given many reviews to other authors....who in turn did the same for me.

It is very hard to get people interested in the story at first...and I have been told a million times that if it's too long nobody reviews....I mean look at jamieque's stories....awesome and long...but only 20+ reviews ya know...so it's very hard to do. Mostly I just get my name out there and as involved with others as I can to do so. If you need any help just let me know and I'll gladly assist.

#14 Apr 17, 2009 2:46 AM

Torch Firetongue

#15 Apr 18, 2009 12:43 AM

dragonball06
Birthday: 6 April

Don't give up!  I'm sorry i missed this story before, but I'm really enjoying it!  If you can, please continue, I'd like to know more, like who is this mysterious dragon Spyro is dreaming about?

Keep it up!

Everyone has a purpose...
and everyone has a choice...

It's up to us to make the right one

#16 Apr 18, 2009 2:08 AM

Torch Firetongue

#17 Apr 20, 2009 11:49 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Your story is doing just fine. This really isn't the place to expect a huge amount of reviews...use places like fanfiction for that. Keep it up though, the story is great.

#18 Apr 21, 2009 5:34 AM

Torch Firetongue

Well, I don't get that many reviews on Fanfiction either, so the reason I post here is because its a more specialized audience. I think the real problem is that only people who have registered for the fanficiton forum can actually post, which drastically cuts down the number of potential commentators. Therefore, its hard to get a good indication as to who is reading or not.

#19 Apr 23, 2009 1:26 AM

Torch Firetongue

Chapter 5

A Guardians Memory

Ignitus was in deep thought when he returned to his cot that night. For the longest time, since that terrible day, he had sought to hide away those awful memories. He did not expect that he would ever be able to get over them fully, as simply seeing Spyro was enough to remind him of it from time to time. Yet until now, Ignitus had thought he had successfully moved on. He had told Spyro about Kata, as Spyro had asked him to, and was frankly rather shocked and somewhat dismayed that he had been unable to make the connection.

That’s when it dawned on him. Spyro had never lived with other dragons up until a few years ago, and he was therefore a bit ignorant about how families worked. He had been brought up in a world where there were few dragons; during the purge so many had died or fled for other realms. And he had only told Spyro half of the story. The other half of the story…

That was when, all these terrible memories had come crashing down upon him.

Before those dark days had come, Ignitus had been the happiest dragon in the world. He had a wonderful loving mate, and they had had two beautiful little ones, Torch and Firaga, both of them Fire Dragons. When Kata had told Ignitus that she had another one on the way, there was no reason to believe why the third would be any different.

That was until they learned that they had actually conceived a purple dragon, on the year of the Dragon no less. Not quite something that happened every day.

At first, the dragons weren’t sure whether to be celebrate or bemoan the fact that a purple dragon had been conceived. Tradition had said that ever since Malefor the purple dragon had been only born once every ten generations, and the breaking of that tradition had caused a bit of constrenation amongst the population. Ignitus had heard all sorts of soothsayers making predictions; some said that the coming of another purple dragon was a blessing, and would lead to a new golden age. While there were others who believed it to be a curse, that would result in nothing less than the Dark Master returning.

Ignitus had scoffed at all these prophesies, as had Kata. They vowed that their new little one would be treated no differently than Torch and Firaga.  While all the dragons were making all these prophesies concerning what woud happen with this purple egg, it surely mattered not to their two fledglings. He remembered how excited Torch had been when he had learned that he was going to have a younger brother. Ignitus remembered that during the night, when he guarded Kata’s nest as was customary for a good mate, Torch would crawl up next to him to help him watch out for bad guys in imitation of his father.

When asked why he was so diligent, he would simply respond... "Because that’s what big brothers are supposed to do..."

Meanwhile, Firaga, she had only been a toddler then, and since her mother was too busy caring for Spyro's egg, she would have Ignitus tell her stories.

A tear dripped from Ignitus' eyes as he thought back to those days, with his family. It had been the happiest time in his life...

But then…everything started to go wrong.

The apes had been a problem for the dragons for years, their grudge against dragonkind extending back to an ancient war, a war whose actual events and the reasons that it was fought for shrouded by the fog of time.  From what Ignitus knew, what he had discovered from draconic lore during his long years of trials and research, was that before that war, the apes had once been a proud bipedal race that had created an advanced civilization, unlike anything dragon kind had known before or since. Back then, the various scattered dragon clans had lived in fear and awe of the apes; legends told of ape cities that extended outwards for miles upon miles, with buildings that stretched into the heavens themselves, and were adept with magicks and machines whose intricacies baffled dragon kind back then and still to this day.

The story went however, that the apes had grown arrogant and attempted to destroy dragon kind, thus making the world theirs once and for all. However, the dragons, led and inspired by the first purple dragon, Malefor, had fought back, and had defeated the apes after that devastating war that nearly destroyed the world. After their defeat, it was said that a curse had been put upon the apes, turning them into the ignorant, brutish creatures they were today, so would never again be able to regain the strength that they once had, and since then the mighty ape civilizations had degenerated into a series of disorganized, warring clans. Only the purple dragon had protested against the elder’s actions against the apes, and for this, he had been banished, unfortunately for all of dragon kind. It was the biggest mistake dragon kind was to ever make, and thus Malefor, during his banishment, had grown bitter and began to hate his own kind, feeling that they had become no better than the apes, and thus he waited for millenia in convexity, where he slowly went insane.

A few years before, Gaul had arisen to unite the apes, preaching revenge upon dragonkind and promising the return to those glory days of those earlier apes. The Dark Master had granted Gaul and the Apes some of the old arcane magicks and weapons those ancient ape civilizations had utilized. Everyone, including Ignitus, had discounted the increasing threat that they posed, and their realization had come too late.

The attack had caught the dragons completely by surprise. Ignitus knew that in the long run, there was no way that the apes could win against the dragons, however, Gaul, with the advice of the Dark Master, had timed his attack well. The laying of a purple egg had created a sense of uncertainty and insecurity for the dragons, and when there was a reversal, everyone started to panic. It seemed to confirm to those dragons that the coming of a purple dragon now would be a curse, and with these chaotic times, such irrational arguments had gained validity with many dragons.

During a meeting at the Council Chambers, Lord Diamon, leader of the Metallic Dragons, had proposed that to stop the spreading of this curse, the purple egg had to destroyed…

Ignitus had remembered throwing himself at Lord Diamon, for even suggesting that he should take the life of an innocent, never mind kill his own son, and that day the Council of Elders had erupted into a brawl. Therefore, at the worst possible moment, as the apes were advancing and killing dragons, the Elemental and Metallic Dragons reawakened their old racial bigotries and started a short but costly civil war. It ended with the Metallic Dragons fleeing to a different realm, where they would be supposedly safe from the Dark Master and the Apes.

This was also the Year of the Dragon, a year where there would be the most dragons being born. As these were dangerous times, some way had to be found to protect the eggs, so therefore, the mother dragons throughout the land entrusted them to the Dragon Guardians.

What a stupid move that had been!!

Yet there was no way that Ignitus and the other Guardians could refuse them. After all, wasn’t it their responsibility to serve and protect dragonkind, especially its most vulnerable members? But when looking back on it, there was no way that Ignitus and the Guardians could have provided adequate protection for all those little ones.

If something happened to the eggs, well, there went an entire generation of dragons. It was an opportunity that Gaul could not pass up. And so came that terrible day…

Gaul and his monkeys had appeared in the Dragon Temple at night, silently killing the guards, and Ignitus and the other Guardians didn’t wake up until they were almost at the egg chamber. Ignitus quickly had his mother get Torch and Firaga out of there first…it was a brutal decision, but he had to prioritize. Yet there was no way to get all the eggs out of there before Gaul’s raiders had reached the egg chamber. He and Kata had fought off wave after wave of apes, and it seemed that they would be able to hold them off. But then, Gaul changed strategy and ordered his minions to attack the eggs.

There was no way that Ignitus, and especially Kata, would allow them to destroy infants, so priority was shifted to protect them first. Ignitus remembered that terrible desperate fight, while holding his own son in his claw, while also trying to save the little ones of his fellow dragons. Yet it was a losing battle, as they were vastly outnumbered, and the apes broke one egg, then another, then another.

Kata could take no more. She would sooner sacrifice herself than to see them destroy any more little ones. Ignitus remembered the last thing she said to him as they nuzzled for the final time.

"I love you dear, take care of little one..." Then Kata used her power to knock Ignitus out of the room, and then form a barrier around the egg chamber. She opened up portals, using her powers to transport the eggs to a safer place, and in doing so drained her of powers. There had been a bright light that filled the egg chamber, blinding Ignitus.

A few moments later, when the light subsided, Katarra, the purple dragoness, the love of his life, was gone, just like that…

Then, afterwards, he had made the decision to send little Spyro down the river. Looking back upon it, he wasn’t sure why he had done it. Perhaps it was the fear that Gaul might capture Spyro’s egg, and once hatched, would hand him over to the Dark Master to corrupt him, as had so fatefully had with Cynder, and that death was a better fate for the purple dragon in this case than to live a life reaping destruction. Perhaps he felt he couldn’t entrust himself with protecting a little one anymore. Yet that was the easy part compared with what had come next.

After sending Spyro’s egg down the river, Ignitus had fled to the hiding spot where his mother was watching over his children. Firaga was crying and sobbing uncontrollably, yet it was just as well that she was far too young to understand what was going on.

Then, Torch had walked up to him, noticed that neither the egg nor his mother was with him, stared him with a tearful, terrified gaze, and asked.

“Where did mom and little brother go?”

“They’re…they’re… they'll be coming soon enough”

How was he supposed to tell his own son that both his mother and his little brother were gone? And worse, that it was his fault that they were gone? Yet worst of all was the fact that he had lied to his son about it, and Torch, being the intelligent young dragon that he was, immediately figured what was really the case.

“Tell me the truth dad, they’re gone aren’t they?” Torch had said with a blank voice. Yet Ignitus merely stood there in paralyzed with silence, and it had been at that moment, when Ignitus had felt like the biggest piece of *bleep* in the universe.

Ignitus gnashed his teeth at the memory. He had failed in his duty to protect the dragons of the realm, to protect his mate, sent his own un-hatched youngest son down the river and lied to his oldest son.

Needless to say, to Torch, his father was no longer the great hero, the role model, the pillar of strength that he had been before, like it was with Spyro nowadays. From then on, Ignitus in Torch's eyes was a coward, a fraud, and worst of all, a liar. That had been, by far, the worst day of his entire life.

After the raid at the Dragon Temple, the war against the apes and the Dark Master quickly began to turn for the worse. Having lost an entire generation of young dragons in a single night, many dragons fell into despair, fleeing the lands or falling to the Dark Master's forces. Ignitus should have known that it would have been better to send off Torch and Firaga with his mother to a safer realm, yet the loss of Kata and little Spyro had traumatized him. He wouldn't have been able to bear being alone, so Ignitus stubbornly kept the two with him.

Then, Dark Cynder had arrived. Ignitus had known the instant she arrived who Cynder truly was; her mother had been one of Ignitus’ friends and found it extraordinarily difficult to fight her. Ignitus' mother was dead by then, unlike so many of her kind during those times, her death had been peaceful. Yet for the majority of dragonkind, they were either killed, or they fled. During that time, Ignitus had begun to train Torch in the arts of combat, so that one day he would take over as the Guardian of Fire. He was extremely talented, and progressed rapidly, yet they hardly spoke to one another by then.

One day, the apes had captured little Fira, and Ignitus had received a message promising 'terrible things' would happen to her if he would not tell them what had happened with the purple dragon.

At that point, Ignitus was not sure whether Spyro was even alive at that point, but what if he had been? He had seen what had happened to Cynder, and there was little doubt that the Dark Master would also corrupt and artificially mature his daughter as well if he did not comply. Therefore, when the Dark Master returned to physical form, he would use Dark Cynder and Firaga to sire a new generation of dark dragons. Yet the other choice was that if Ignitus told them what he knew about Spyro's egg to free Firaga, then they might capture Spyro instead once he was found, and corrupt him instead, which would have been even worse. Once again, he had been placed in a position where he would have to sell out one of his own children.

When Ignitus and the Guardians had floundered in indecision, Torch, who by that time was about as old as Spyro was when Ignitus had first seen him alive, had taken it upon himself to rescue his sister. When Ignitus found out about it, it not only worried him, it also shamed him. It had demonstrated to Ignitus that Torch did not believe his father possessed the strength or the courage to protect the family anymore, so therefore it had fallen to him to protect the family. After all, his father had failed to protect mother and his younger brother, and had deceived him, so who could blame him?

In any case, Torch had faced off against Dark Cynder in Convexity by himself, and had lost after a long battle, but at the very least had freed his sister from the Dark Master. The last thing Ignitus saw of his oldest son was that he was thrown into Convexity, holding his sister, before the portal closed off. Then, Ignitus was alone...

He had been completely inconsolable for the next great while, and during that time Dark Cynder, Gaul and the Dark Masters minions continued their path of destruction. There had often been times where he had seriously contemplated suicide, not only to deny himself to the Dark Master, but to simply that he couldn't take the pain anymore. Yet the only thing that had prevented him from doing so was the hope that somewhere his youngest son was still alive, and that he was the only thing that was preventing the Dark Masters forces from capturing or destroying him. Therefore, Ignitus kept fighting, trying to stay alive, if only to buy time for Spyro to grow up so that one day he would be strong enough to face Malefor. He felt completely helpless when Volteer, Terrador and Cyril, his fellow Guardians, and his friends from hatchling hood, were either killed or captured by Cynder and her forces. And with each passing day it increasingly seemed to Ignitus had been fighting in vain.

Yet that was when he found Spyro...

From that moment on, Ignitus had committed himself to his youngest son, vowing not to fail him as he had failed his oldest son. There were times where he wanted to reveal that he was indeed Spyro's father, yet perhaps out of fear, or bad karma, had decided not to. To Spyro, Ignitus was still the perfect role model, the father figure who could do no wrong, wise, strong, the one he looked up to, and if Ignitus told him, Spyro would then inevitably ask who his mother was, and then Ignitus would have to tell him how he had failed to protect her, and then failed to protect his older siblings. He remembered how humiliated and fraudulent he had felt when Torch had lost his faith in his father, and he couldn't bear the same happening to Spyro.

Perhaps he was a fool for thinking in this manner, yet he knew how easily the Dark Master could use family as a weapon against Spyro. Should Spyro were to ever be placed in such a situation... no, he would sacrifice himself without any hesitation, as he should have when Firaga had been captured, or when Torch had faced off against Dark Cynder.

Ignitus then thought about the dream that Spyro had described to him. Could it have actually been Kata? He wished he could be inside Spyro's dream for himself, yet Ignitus knew it to be impossible, so he could only speculate. Ignitus again reflected upon her fate, and what her current state of existence was at the moment, given that she was too a purple dragon, and what the purple dragons fate was to ensure the seal on the Dark Master remained.

Spyro was the only one who could stop the Dark Master, this was beyond a shadow of a doubt. However, if Spyro knew about the true circumstances about his mother... Ignitus knew that Spyro would do whatever it took to save her, no matter the cost. No matter if it meant actually freeing the Dark Master….

Ignitus shook his head. No... He would not tell Spyro about his mother's fate. If that meant that Spyro would never forgive Ignitus for it, as Torch had never forgiven him for failing to save his mother, so be it.

Yet why had Spyro started to suddenly receive visions about Kata now? Ignitus could only speculate how much power Kata, or what was left of her spirit, would have had to use in order to deliver her warning to Spyro. The apes had been awfully quiet since Gaul had been defeated. Every day, Ignitus had peered into the seeing pool in order for signs that indicated any suspicious activity on the part of Malefor, but not once did it ever tell Ignitus anything he didn't already suspect. Yet there was that uneasy feeling in his gut, the same one he had felt in the days before the apes attack, that convinced the Fire Guardian that the *bleep* was about to hit the fan...

Therefore, Ignitus could not sleep peacefully that night...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to cover a bit about what happened before the Legend of Spyro series, in order to provide a unique perspective of the new adventure Spyro is about to undertake. Stay tuned though, because its starting with the next chapter where this story is really going to start to get moving. Hope you read and review, and if you can't post here, then send me a private message.

#20 Apr 25, 2009 6:09 PM

gitgud101

...I don't really get this story, but I think I can just grasp the storyline. Keep up the good work.

Admins, PLEASE deactivate this account or something. Got a lot of old crap on here I want gone.

Board footer