Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov 03, 2008 12:30 AM

Taco Godess
Gems: 0
Website

Voice Actors

There's no topic about this already? Hmm...

Anyways, I'd really like to know what everyone's opinion on the voice acting is. Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you think it was okay?

Sparx: The moment I heard Sparx's voice, I knew that my facial expression was one of pure disgust. I'm sorry, but no one could do worse if they tried. I like Wayne Brady and all, but his voice did NOT suit Sparx.

Cynder: I didn't like Christina Ricci's voice acting. At times she made Cynder sound very bratty, and I didn't like it. There wasn't enough emotion in her voice, either.

Hunter: Whoever voiced Hunter did a pretty good job in my opinion. Sometimes he sounded a bit emotionless, but other than that I liked it.

Malefor: Mark Hamill is a very good voice actor, I'll give him credit for that, but as Malefor? He was a bit hard to understand at times. I personally think someone else could have done a better job.

So, what do you guys think?

#2 Nov 03, 2008 3:52 AM

Neotyguy40

Re: Voice Actors

Sparx: I don't think he is a good voice for Sparx, but I DID like how at the beginning they sai that his voice keeps changing, which made it feel much better.

Cynder: She made Cynder sassy... But I like the new voice better than Mae.

Hunter: I still wished Hunter was less serious like the old games, but he did a good job and fit the description.

Malefor: He was good... No, better... He was GREAT, but the computer effects made it bad.

#3 Nov 03, 2008 5:12 AM

Gunderstank

Cynder: A lot of people thought she did kinda bad, where as I think she did fine, also SHE didn't make her sound sassy, the creators wanted her to make Cynder sound sassy. I for one thought it was fitting, but that's just me. As for her emotion, people bring up the part where Spyro turned dark and she told him to stop, well first off, she didn't have to yell at him or anything, she was being calm to help calm him down, that's just how I see it. I think she was good.

Spyro: I thought he was great, lol, like in all three games, E. Wood has done a great job.

Sparx: I thought his voice this time around was the best, I actually found it very fitting.

Hunter: Superb, I thought it was just amazing!

Malefor: I had to use subtitles, but hey, that's ok, I loved the computerized voice effects, very awesome!

The Mole people: British accent (it was British right), lol, I loved it!

Elders: Meh, they didn't talk much...AT ALL, so I was kinda disappointed. Iggy was fine though.

Hermit: Wow, he was slightly scary than Malefor himself, and he made me laugh too, Iunno who voiced him, but he was good, rofl.

#4 Nov 03, 2008 7:21 AM

dorrin

i have to agree about the hermit... someone said they couldn't hear him clearly, which i can understand, but he was definitely my favorite character aside from the main characters.
i did also like hunter, though the way they made the cat people's jaws move when they talked look very unnatural.

if i haven't already said so in other threads where the voice acting was brought up.. yeah, i wasn't a fan of christina ricci's voice here, either.  i really would have loved for them to get cree summer back.

i also agree with not hearing the elders enough in this one.  i don't think gary oldman sounded as good this time around, either.. though perhaps he was trying to make ignitus sound older and more exhausted in general, which makes some sense, having worried about spyro and cynder for 3 years, but it came off to me as being a lesser performance.
not a fan of the new volteer voice either (or at least i think it was someone different.. didn't sound like him).

#5 Nov 03, 2008 6:20 PM

Taco Godess
Website

#6 Nov 03, 2008 11:59 PM

Game_Girl_2007

Hey, did anyone notice that out of all four elders, only Ignitus and Terrador got more speaking lines? Volteer and Cyril only got like...one..

The LoS series did NOT ruin the fandom. Nor would a Spyro movie ruin it. The fans are doing that themselves by their constant whining and complaining about small, idiotic things. It's the Sonic fandom all over again.

#7 Nov 04, 2008 12:44 AM

Spyro_Loves_Me
Website

I definitely noticed that. It made me quite disappointed. Volteer and Cyril didn't get much show either. sad

Anyways, about the voicing:

Cynder - I thought she did great. To me, it was believable. It fits her.

Sparx - Lol ... ah. That voice was waaay too low for him in my opinion. The acting itself was pretty good though. I really liked his line after he broke out of the crystal. "Voice keeps changing, but I'm fine." Hehe. big_smile

Hunter - His voice was alright. It worked, but it wasn't great.

Malefor - Umm ... I wish I could understand him. I could only catch a few of his lines. I'm sure without all that extra effect, he would've been great. He sounded evil, that's for sure.

#8 Nov 05, 2008 2:37 AM

RedDragonX
Website

Here's my take.

Spyro-E.Wood does a great job again just as he has with the last two games. You can tell when somebody is a really heavy gamer(and he is) they really know what it takes to bring the essence of the character to life, and again Elijah more then proves it. I wish the character motions on the screen matched more to the voices..but that didn't really affect anything.

Grade: A

Cynder-I thought that Ricci was a very good choice for the voice...but her acting was as many have said rather bland. I try not to hold it against her though..because I feel that the Cynder character was suppose to be like that in a way...sorta emotionless or just learning how to harness such free emotions for herself. Some of her speaking parts were done quite well as far as I'm concerned...only one ore two little spots that threw me off.

Grade: B-

Sparx-Wayne Brady is an excellent actor, but has a little far to go on the voice work. I have been reading some reviews and many say that it was like they were just there to collect the paycheck..but I think Brady did a decent job. Yes he was off at times...but the whole "My voice keeps changing thing" really made me feel better about the whole thing. I actually wish they gave him a few more lines then they did. If he is ever in another game I wouldn't mind it...just work on those off screen talents.

Grade: C+

Hunter-Blair Underwood was perfect for this role. The mysterious element that I have always wanted to see come from Hunter was delivered perfectly by this also newcomer to voice work. Yes some spots were still rough..but seeing as how it was his first time...bring him back for the sequel.

Grade: B+

Ignitus-Gary Oldman delivers another excellent performance as the Guardian Ignitus. Like I said for Sparx before...I only wish he had a slightly larger role in the all too short game so that he could really work the crowd with that impressive voice of his. He really does fit the perfect fatherly figure in Ignitus just as he does to Harry Potter.

Grade: A+

Malefor-This one's pretty simple. I love Mark Hamill and I love his work, unfortunetly all that talent does you no good since they distort your voice so bad you can't even understand a thing he says. (turn on the subtitles) but the presence you felt was pretty on the spot...they just managed to screw it up with all that extra junk.

Grade: C-

Extras-All those other characters that kinda fall under this category were relatively on spot. I wish that more lines were given to the other three Guardians. Terrador did get a few in..but even that didn't seem like enough...especially compared to ANB. The moles were pretty sweet with the whole British accent thing lol....and the cheetah's were done pretty well too. I especially enjoyed Kevin Micheal Richardson's Hermit voice..that kinda creeped me out more then Malefor.

Grade: B

Anyways there ya go...my take on the voice acting.

#9 Nov 29, 2008 4:54 PM

Aquanette

My take on the voice acting:

Spyro:  Elijah Wood is as great as ever (does anyone else think that he became better at it from working on Happy Feet?  Y'know, prior experience?).  Very believeable, wonderful use of emotion, just... amazing.

Sparx:  I didn't think I would like Wayne Brady, but he did a pretty decent job.  Once again, very good emotions where he needed to, LOVE the way he pulled off Sparx's jokes, etc.

Ignitus:  Ack!  All the voice actors are great!  I can't even say anything about Ignitus without repeating myself again.  Perfecto.

Cynder:  Oh boy, this is why I saved her for last...
Ricci did fine, she really did.  She was very sassy, and she had proper emotions in MOST scenes.  There's about two spots where I didn't like her acting.  One was the obvious scene towards the end where Spyro goes Dark, and the other was one of the lines during gameplay in the Dragon City.

In the Dragon City, Sparx had just said something about being a little scared for Cyril after watching him get slammed into a wall, and Cynder butts in with something along the lines of "He'll be fine, come on, we have to keep moving!"  The way she said he would be fine was rather... heartless to me.

And now, for the fun scene.  Yay.  Number one: again, Cynder sounded heartless when Ignitus was being incinerated and she told Spyro to let it go.  And then, when Spyro goes evil, she was still devoid of emotion; even if she was trying to calm him down, in order to be believeable, she should've sounded a little more urgent.  Yeah, she knew it was either he would calm down, or he wouldn't, but if he didn't and plunged into the Belt of Fire, she would have been dragged along and died then.  Nice.  I'm pretty sure Cynder was counting on dying while fighting with Malefor if she died at all, so she really should have been more emotional there.

#10 Nov 29, 2008 6:06 PM

Starscream

#11 Nov 29, 2008 7:30 PM

RedDragonX
Website

I agree on most of those points. Some of the actors should have been professional voice actors.

Ricci did an ok job...I liked her voice for the part...but in several VERY important spots she screwed over the feel of the scene....but when I play through the game I just put in my mind that she is not use to displaying emotions and is rather bland...so that kinda makes me feel better lol...

Gary Oldman and Elijah Wood....nothing to say about them lol...and yes I think that Wood's experience with voice acting and his general enjoyment in playing games certainly helped him out while doing this project.

Sparx....I really didn't mind him that much....I liked him better then David Spade lol....but again that just depends on what you see in it....that whole "my voice keeps changing" line kinda made up for most of it lol....as for Hunter....I liked Blair Underwood. I liked the character as a more mysterious warrior then an arrogant playmate lol..but that's just me big_smile...

#12 Nov 29, 2008 7:31 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Oh yeah...and they should have left Mark to do his own voice work on Malefor....sounded 150% better using his own talents.....and the voice acting Oscar so should have gone to the Hermit lol.....he stole the show.

#13 Nov 29, 2008 10:52 PM

Anime Monkey Girl Fan

Spyro: I think that Elijah Wood did a wondeful job voicing Spyro in all three games.  The voice suited him very well.

Sparx: I was a bit surprised to hear Sparx with a buff man's voice lol, but I liked it too.  It was better than the voice he had in the second game, and just as good as his voice from the first. 

Cynder: Her voice actoress did a wondeful job for her as well.  Very teen like voice for her and the sassy voice kind of suited her as well.

Malefor: I thought that Mark Hamill did one of the best in the game.  He sounded like a total bad guy.  Thumbs up for this guy!

Hunter: His was decent as well.  Matched him pretty well and to me was a bit close to the old Hunter's voice.

...and lol...Everyone likes the Hermit....lol.  He creeped me out a bit and made me laugh as well with the Golem voice from Lord of the Rings lol

#14 Nov 30, 2008 12:48 AM

RedDragonX
Website

Yeah I agree with that one lol....the Hermit was pretty BA....oscar for him lol...

#15 Nov 30, 2008 9:47 AM

Volteer32

#16 Dec 10, 2008 10:36 PM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Birthday: 1 November

I thought both Elijah Wood who voiced Spyro and Blair Underwood who voiced Hunter were superb! Wayne Brady was definetly funny, but I miss David Spade doing the voice, and Christina Ricci she was very good, but she made Cynder very bland and emotionless and Mark Hamill was excellent by far, but I couldn't understand a single freakin' thing he said cause they screwed with his voice and put computers in! As for everyone else they were great especially Gary Oldman, but I think Volteer and Cyril should of had more lines and the Moles in Dragon City where great too!

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

#17 Dec 11, 2008 3:42 AM

RedDragonX
Website

Yes I agree with you on most of those points...I didn't really like Spade as Sparx...but he was decent...as for Cynder's voice acting....I just like to think of it as that was how the character was suppose to be portrayed...at least it makes me feel better...after all she isn't use to showing such free emotions....but that's just how I feel about it.

And yes Hamill was awesome...if they hadn't managed to totally screw over his work with the computers....but who are we to make waves lol..

#18 Dec 11, 2008 8:08 PM

Spyro_Fan_Forever

Elijah Wood is perfect for Spyro in TLOS. ^^ Though I can't help but to see Frodo in him aswell. lol

Christina Ricci is well...ok I guess...though I liked Mae Whitman's voice better. I didn't like how she sounded all emotionless but I'll deal with it. ^w^

Wayne Brady was ok as Sparx...but like some people said they liked Spade better...I have to agree. ^^; He makes me laugh though so he's alright with me.

Gary Oldman...evening commissioner *lipsmack*
^///^ I love him as Ignitus! Great job Gary...*cough* I mean commissioner Gordon. ♥
LOL

Blair Underwood has a cool sounding voice. He was good and cool as Hunter. ^_^ Though I miss the old Hunter's voice.

Mark Hamill as Malefor I could understand every word...well maybe not every word. But he sounded so cool as an evil dragon. xD
Love his evil laughes. And the cartoon Joker he did too! ♥

винт это. винт все это и оставь меня.

#19 Dec 14, 2008 3:43 PM

arthapenn

Spyro: After hearing E.Wood in the TLOS, I had a shock listening to Spyro's old voice. I was introduced to the purple dragon in A Hero's Tail, but I found it a little hard, and sent it back to the shop. So I did not hear his voice much. Thanks, Youtube!
Yes, you are right. I can image the hobbit, who had to travel to Mount Doom, as the purple dragon.

Cynder: Cree Summer was good, and Christina was okay. I cannot say about Mae Whiteman, as I have not play TEN.

Sparx: David Spade was wonderful, as it was cute. Can't say about Billy West. Wayne was all right.

Ignitus: Padfoot was great, I mean Gary was great. Gary is not only Commissioner Gordon, but he is also Sirus Black. The red dragon is indeed serious in his guardian role.

Malefor: I cannot believe how deep Mark's voice was. I fondly remembered hearing him saying, "NO!" for Star Wars. That's when Obi Wan was killed, and Luke said, "NO!" When I heard Mark's voice, I could not believe my ears. After beating the adult purple dragon, Malefor said, "NOOOOOOOOO!"

Board footer