Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#26 Apr 16, 2007 5:16 PM

Rexy
Gems: 0
Website

Re: THEY'RE LIES! ALL LIES!

I'm possibly the only person that doesn't seem to be getting worked up over this or something o_O The way I see it, Vivendi were slowly taking Insomniac's foundations apart; I appreciate a select bunch of titles in the set for maintaining said spirit like Season of Ice as stated in spite of its insane difficulty, but it must be noted that with each of the games in the past few set prior to A New Beginning, the spirit of the franchise was starting to weaken in spite of whatever kind of gameplay tweaks were added for the better. Let me take some examples of characters and whatnot -

Spyro - started to become a little bit more sarcastic during A Hero's Tail. I wasn't too fond of his characterisation here, as were a good number of other characters.
Sparx - He didn't face too much of a change to be honest, though it would help if there were subtitles during the cutscenes for Enter the Dragonfly so that we can understood what he was saying...
Sheila - In Year of the Dragon, she is a rare mountain kangaroo. In Attack of the Rhynocs, she seems to be cooperating in a vacation resort with other kangaroos. What the Hell?
Sgt Byrd - At least his military passions have remained stable so he's not too much of a problem, though I do feel concerned over him using a jetpack to tackle the speedways in A Hero's Tail.
Bentley - I loved him in Year of the Dragon for his well educated lingo ("Why you duplicitious, larcaneous ursine!"). But in his other game appearances he's been changed - Attack of the Rhynocs showed him as a more athletic character (he wants climbing gear to get the Heart of his world and has two left feet), and A Hero's Tail portrayed him as some kind of sloth.
Agent 9 - He was the hyperactive monkey that I loved the most in Year of the Dragon, but in his appearances in the handheld variants his attitude changed to a more serious one. I suppose I could let it slide since there's not much room for expression in a Gameboy Advance, but at least give back the wisecracking monkey we love...
Ripto - Don't get me started. Four re-appearances. Not much spunk since Ripto's Rage. I think that was a major contribution to the reboot, or at least digging up Red for A Hero's Tail. That reminds me...
Dragon Elders - It was cool that some of which were referenced after various dragons in the first Spyro title, but at least maintain the attitudes they had when they were freed to begin with. I can't remember Magnus being deaf...
Gnasty Gnorc - looked almost nothing like his original self in A Hero's Tail. Then again I suppose he was needed for the inclusion of the main Gnorc enemy line... yay more ellipsis...
Professor - not much of a change but at least give him his squeak in his voice in A Hero's Tail. He sounded too... normal.
Moneybags - I guess the Arabian/Russian thing was an attempt to get people to like him, but I thought he was more amusing to see when he was the aristocrat that everyone hated, especially when the freed captives attacked him in their respective scenes in Year of the Dragon.
Bianca - What's with the red hair in Enter the Dragonfly? Other than that there wasn't much of a change with her.

Do you see what I mean? Some irky changes were made since the Insomniac days, making the series struggling to try and find its feet.  Those in turn were starting to lose the original fans, and to be honest, it was starting to lose me (hence the only game I never played was Shadow Legacy). I was actually kind of sad to see that there was going to be a reboot through A New Beginning, but I was more optimistic over the experience of Krome Studios as a game developer than Eurocom to be honest. I respect the changes through and through; even though some of you guys may not like this new foundation of Spyro growing, just think of it as one of two things -

A - It could be based on an ancestor/descendant of the Spyro developed in the Insomniac days, so that could be something. Least there's still the use of Sparx and other dragons and whatnot.
2 - It's only a videogame at the end of the day. That's like crying over spilt milk - nothing's going to resolve anything.

Regardless, I hope this bickering calms down. I've also written way too much for my own good so I'll conclude my post at this point - relax, take a breather, and drink a cup of orange juice. Then think over why you're arguing over something as unimportant as a videogame.

#27 Apr 16, 2007 9:10 PM

DanteAndVergil
Birthday: 4 April

to be honest rexy im not worked up either spyro is spyro and who cares if they left out some charcters and who knows they may come back in future games smile  wink

#28 Apr 17, 2007 3:58 AM

Crossfire

Good points Rex, although I myself was actually encouraging everyone not to get all worked up. I was attempting to mediate, to be honest; it`s become a life calling for me to try and level out any disputes on any forum that I am a participating member of. That point about ANB possibly being connected to the Original series is interesting, and I`ve considered this angle myself before. However, VU did announce it to be a reboot, so it`s not likely. It would be nice to think that our much-beloved characters from the PS1 games still exist in VU`s mind, though. :-|

#29 Apr 22, 2007 5:19 AM

ratchet
Website

#30 May 14, 2007 3:31 PM

simon

One time I was checking SFA and a member said he/she that he/she E-mailed insomniac and they replay back to the member and insomniac said that they will be making a new spyro game in the future. I dunno this is true or not but I check back again.

#31 May 14, 2007 4:09 PM

Trainer_Spyro
Birthday: 1 January
Website

Who told you that? I never heard anything like that at SFA. Either of them.
I hate to say it would be nice but it's not going to happen no matter how many fans request/demand that Insomniac takes Spyro back. As long as Ratchet and Clank is doing good and bringing them money They won't have any reason to even consider doing another Spyro game.

#32 May 15, 2007 7:32 PM

Crossfire

True enough. In the end, we have to decide "would we want to lose Ratchet & Clank so Spyro can continue on?" Admittedly, while I am a Spyro fan through and through (at least of the PS1 games), I like Ratchet & Clank more. Maybe it`s me being a young adult now as opposed to a kid like I was back when I played the Spyro games, but R&C is more my taste. The more-mature sense of humor, arsenal of weapons, edgier atmosphere, kick-*bleep* combat, greater-scale worlds, beautiful environments...but I`ll always remember Spyro fondly.

#33 May 15, 2007 9:43 PM

TB
Website

#34 May 16, 2007 8:53 AM

ratchet
Website

i would lose ratchet and clank so spyro could continue, but i wouldn't let them sell it to VU
they'd have t keep it (even though i know its hard cause it costs so much)

#35 May 29, 2007 2:48 PM

CinderNeopets

This game is Cool to the max bit**in

Spyrorocks: If you must sware, please add some little stars to cover up some of the letters.

#36 May 29, 2007 3:40 PM

KingPlayerPDX

Don't say that word it's not aloud. Yeah but it's kinda off good. Worth buying for my 40 dollars lol.

#37 May 29, 2007 5:39 PM

DanteAndVergil

i paid £30 for my LOSANB  <_< then 3 days after i bought it i found it for £12  <_<

#38 May 29, 2007 6:56 PM

KingPlayerPDX

They get cheap that fast...

#39 May 29, 2007 7:41 PM

DanteAndVergil

YES and its very annoying when it happens because when it does i look back and think *bleep* i could of got 2 games then  <_<  <_<   mad

#40 Jun 04, 2007 12:08 PM

SpyroGirl101
Gems: 10
Birthday: 14 April
Website

I like the storyline of ANB, I just don't like the way Spyro and Sparx look.

#41 Jun 06, 2007 2:39 AM

Dejablue

I like Elijah Wood as Spyro. David Spade is okay but the writers MUST give him better jokes.  In my opinion, ANB is the best game after Insomniac dropped kicked their series to Universal.

#42 Jun 06, 2007 8:02 PM

ontels

the dragon elders in ANB look much better more like proper dragons

wink

#43 Jun 06, 2007 11:13 PM

KingPlayerPDX

Yeah intsead of standing on two legs....

#44 Aug 16, 2007 11:09 PM

SpyroxEmber
Website

Well, I thought it was a bit too short, yes, and the fighting was enough to exhaust your thumbs, but I loved the storyline, cutscenes, and characters.

I thought Elijah Wood was Spyro was very good also. I think his voice was a perfect match for a heroic purple dragon.

But everyone has their own opinion.

#45 Aug 31, 2007 8:57 AM

ratchet
Website

i dont mind elijah wood's voice at all for spyro, but it might've been better with an older spyro not like pre-spyro 1 spyro but its a different universe so yeah
And on that note, thats why the game was nothing like the originals, and had nothing to do with spyro 1

#46 Jan 29, 2008 5:04 AM

Volteer32

Okay don't go pickin' on Elijah Wood he does a great job as Spyro.

So too David Spade as Sparx in ANB and Billy West in TEN (sure each has their own take on him).

TLOS ANB and TEN have gotta be the best games I've played so far, okay going back even to AHT, Ember's a bit irritating... especially when you first run into her

#47 Jan 29, 2008 5:38 AM

ratchet
Website

Yeah, Elijah wood suits TLOS spyro.
I find TEN too hard yet short.
ANB was too easy and short.
Both are very boring and repetative.

#48 Jan 29, 2008 5:45 AM

Volteer32

Okay question: can you play TEN through again like you did with ANB and upgrade the remainder of your breaths?

#49 Jan 29, 2008 6:58 AM

ratchet
Website

yes, but there is no reason to

#50 Jan 29, 2008 10:17 AM

Volteer32

I do Ratchet - finished TEN - got to the bit where he finishes off Gaul with the Convexity fury then saves Cynder and Sparx by encasing them in a crystal of some sort

Tell me - i probably missed Hunter right? More than likely appears after the credits have gone

Board footer