Website

I'm happy that the movie is comming later this year

After 13 games went by, it's finaly here, the movie. smile

#2 Apr 18, 2009 8:06 AM

Akon
Gems: 0

Re: I'm happy that the movie is comming later this year

^Yes indeed

After all this time, we can only hope they don't destroy Spyro's image permanently with this movie.

#3 Apr 18, 2009 8:31 AM

Aceedwin

It's going to be terrible. Massive gaps in the plotline, it'll be rushed, and you will lose all faith in humanity. In other words, a clone of Eragon. I still want to cry when I see the DVD case, but I think my tear ducts are broken.

But seriously, there are certain things that are destined to be crappy. If it's 3D there's a good 40% chance. If it's based on a game or book, another 33% and if it involves dragons, 19%. So all together I estimate a 92% chance of complete failure. Which is about right. Spyro is a game, and it should stay a game, in my opinion. Games very rarely are turned into movies, and only in absolutely exceptional cases (i.e. FF VII, Tomb Raider, etc.) and in all those cases, no movie was that good. Fanstuff really... Most go to DVD. Tomb Raider is the only exception ever, and there're a lot of people who think the movies suck.

Now consider Spyro. TLOS series was not groundbreaking in any sense of the word. It was fairly mediocre, and only worth buying for fans. The storyline is clichéd, but in a game, that doesn't matter. In a movie it does. Also, the whole, find and rescue all four guardians is just not right for a movie. It just isn't.

Right now, the only game I would consider as a potentially good movie is kingdom hearts. It takes epic to a whole new level. Just like FF. Are you seeing the pattern here? The only country capable of making games that are acceptable movies is Japan.

Wow, I wrote a lot...

#4 Apr 18, 2009 9:24 AM

x-Cynder's_Complexity-x

Afraid I have to agree with Aceedwin.
Although I really do hope they make it a great movie, and can't help but look forward to it, Spyro should remain as a video game.

And, seeing as The Legend of Spyro series mainly revolves around fighting, I don't think the movie will be all that exciting. Sure, there could be some interesting and epic fighting scenes, but, after a while, it will just get boring.
However, even with these points, it has the potential to be an awesome movie.

But when you consider that it's meant to be made by the director of Eragon and the writers of Garfield 2, I begin to lose hope. Garfield 2 was okay, but it could have been a lot better. I've never watched Eragon, but I've heard that it failed miserably in trying to be a good movie, compared to the book.
Also, Garfield 2 was a comedic type of thing - Spyro is more serious. The writers of Garfield 2 would have had a sense of humour (or "humour"), which they'd surely try to bring into Spyro. The occasional laugh here and there is alright, but the thought of transforming Spyro, the serious hero, into a comedic goofball makes me shudder.

And yet I still am somehow looking forward to it?! mad  XD Maybe there's still a part of me that's hoping it will be a good movie. 

I've made my point.  <_<

#5 Apr 18, 2009 11:49 AM

Spyro.Lover.Forever

It may not be bad as you all think, they are bound to change the storyline around just a bit... They aren't going to show Spyro wondering around in four different places, collecting elements and defeating loads of... Enemies of his.

I think most of you are just saying it's going to be bad just because the producers of Eragon are doing it.. Even if the movie does turn out to be rubbish, we aren't going to hate Spyro forever.

#6 Apr 18, 2009 12:04 PM

x-Cynder's_Complexity-x

#7 Apr 18, 2009 12:09 PM

Aceedwin

I just don't believe Spyro is the sort of thing you do a movie about. Why not do a movie about pacman. All right, that would be pretty cool, but Spyro is just not movie material, in the same way Crash Bandicoot isn't game material. It just doesn't work.

#8 Apr 18, 2009 12:57 PM

Spyro.Lover.Forever

A movie about Pacman?! Now that to me is a very bad idea, No offense but what on earth would it be about?

#9 Apr 18, 2009 12:59 PM

Aceedwin

A man completely and utterly addicted to pacman.

#10 Apr 18, 2009 2:48 PM

Wrath

Well, these are the makers of Eragon right? Which was quite sloppy and felt rushed, it gave absolutely no time to bond with the characters before something tragic were to happen.

I am honestly not expecting anything spectacular for the Spyro movie, however, it would be a joy to finally see our favorite purple dragon in action, and for the first time in a movie. So all in all, I can't wait to see it, just for the sake of being a Spyro fan.

#11 Apr 18, 2009 2:48 PM

Spyro.Lover.Forever

So, it'd be a movie about a man who can't stop playing Pacman? Doesn't that sound a little boring?

#12 Apr 18, 2009 3:12 PM

Aceedwin

Not really, the therapy sessions alone would satisfy me. Don't you think a movie about a purple dragon going around beating up innocent monkeys? And then commits the biggest cliché ever?

#13 Apr 18, 2009 4:45 PM

x-Cynder's_Complexity-x

<_<
I'd rather sit watching the WTF bomb on YouTube - man, I could watch that for days on end. XD

#14 Apr 18, 2009 9:26 PM

xx-hayleyrox-xx

I'l go watch it, but i hated Eragon. Okay, that might be a bit strong, but the Inheritance trilogy holds so much of my faith i wad deeply disapointed. I liked how they did Saphira only. I hated Arya.
I HOPE they don't ruin Spyro.....

#15 Apr 18, 2009 9:54 PM

x-Cynder's_Complexity-x

#16 Apr 19, 2009 2:36 AM

RedDragonX
Website

Spyro should have stayed a game as it was meant to be. The movie should not have been considered and it's pretty obvious they're just doing it to capitalize off what limited success they had with the trilogy...and they'll try to add some star power to it and attract some viewers...but the whole 3-D crap is useless..I really think that will end up only driving people away from watching it.

The producers are going to lean into the whole Spyro and Cynder thing to make all the crazed younger fans happy...but this really should have been a direct to DVD instead of anything involving a theater.

In the end I'm pretty sure all it's going to do is bring more criticism down upon an already mediocre series. I don't want to see that happen and I'm going to pray it doesn't...but I'm afraid that's all I can see coming out of this.

Spyro is a video game character....keep him where he is suppose to be.

#17 Apr 19, 2009 3:10 PM

Spyro.Lover.Forever

This is just a big change for Spyro that they wanted to test out.. I haven't been dissapointed by any Spyro game so far. I'm sure the movie won't be too bad.

If it is, I definately won't hate Spyro. I can just imagine it being a really successful movie.

#18 Apr 20, 2009 11:29 PM

RedDragonX
Website

The fanbase isn't large enough to make it wildly successful, I know that I'm not going to go see it in theaters. I'll view it somewhere else or wait until it comes out...which will be about four to six weeks after it hits theaters.

#19 Apr 26, 2009 11:55 AM

Black Shadow
Banned

I can't wait for this movie to come out. ^^

#20 Apr 26, 2009 1:16 PM

Aceedwin

There's going to be a clash here. There's the blind optimists and the slightly sad realists.

#21 Apr 26, 2009 1:42 PM

Grif

After how they butchered Dragonball, I'm pretty much pessimistic about any movie they might make.  <_<

#22 Apr 26, 2009 8:16 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Don't even mention that...that was simply embarrassing to watch.

#23 Apr 27, 2009 8:14 AM

Jackson117

Why did goku slide hes head on the car?

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#24 Apr 27, 2009 8:15 AM

Jackson117

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#25 Apr 27, 2009 8:15 AM

Jackson117

Board footer