You are not logged in.

#76 Dec 05, 2006 2:09 AM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

Re: NEOPETS!?

I used to play neopets, but then this site got more popular, and I gave it up.

#77 Dec 05, 2006 3:31 AM

Shyro
Gems: 0

I still go there LOL, for freebies  smile, also won trofies ^_^
My user name is neoshawntrell & neocool_201 but neoshawntrell is older and most used.

#78 Dec 07, 2006 5:10 AM

simon

I just joined Noepets 3 days ago!  smile

#79 Dec 07, 2006 2:33 PM

Shyro

#80 Dec 24, 2006 5:14 AM

Shyro

#81 Dec 24, 2006 8:16 AM

Spyrorocks
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 4
Website

After looking into the loader, its very encrypted. could take a little while before i can get iunto it and extract the game itself and post a extracted copy.

#82 Dec 24, 2006 9:24 AM

Clawtooth35

the game isn't that good though, it is hard

#83 Dec 25, 2006 10:08 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

#84 Dec 26, 2006 2:26 AM

Zerodius

Two parts to my post:
1- Neopets "game" review
2- Neopets Spyro game review

If you like Neopets, the site, then skip part 1. Believe me. Do so because that you might not like the review at all.

Ha... Neopets... a big-time online scam.

I will be frank: Neopets had potential. It had the premise of being an extremely deep Pokemon-like that featured a very complete world. Whenever your goal was to save the world or simply live a normal life and get yourself a decent home, you would find your share. With tons of quests, places to explore, mini-games, an advanced battle system, tons of friends and foes alike, the game was to be immense... and also, completely free to boot!

But sadly, the moment you start playing, things fall apart.

I will be frank: the "game" is tacky, ill-programmed, and badly designed.

The game is designed in such a way that it is impossible to gain any kind of momentum unless you have been there since the beginning... and hackers abound, stealing like crazy. Also, the staff is heartless, totally heartless and are a bunch of moronic cheaters who participate in the game's contests and win them because they can.

The battle system is designed so badly it's funny. It's anything but fluid, even in single-player, and feature some of the worst damage calculating engines I ever seen. It's simple: all stats except attack and, to a certain extend, HP are useless. Elemental strategies? Please.

But then, even if you're not out to fight baddies, the plot sucks. The characters are one-dimensional and cliched to the extreme. The focus is way too much on fairies and make you feel like you are playing "Fairyland" rather than "Neopets". Also, laughable character design abound... and no, do not serve me the kiddy excuse *bleep* ; Bowser, Mewtwo, and Zero are all bad guys from "kiddy" franchises and excude more charm and originality than any of the losers from that game.

The world design is dysmal. It's just point and click with strictly no events. Oh sure, a "random event" might pop up... but it's mostly advertisement. There is a total lack of music, the whole "game" played in total silence. Graphics are cartoony and clear... but there is a general lack of detail that makes it... blah.

Now, what about shopping? Dumb to the extreme. Everything come in so laughably low quantities that unless you have a super uber internet connection (and a bot program), you ain't seeing any products from the main stores. Buying from other people? Good luck! Some of those shop pages are uber-loaded with crap backgrounds and mp3 music that suck up on all of your computer's memory. Got the page to load? Good! Now, enjoy over-priced products from a gang of greedy players!

So, it's all bad? Nope... not yet. You didn't see everything yet! Get ready for the "home design", which is laugbable here too. Frankly, it's just like building a bunch of stats with no visible effect. Building yourself a "home" has strictly no effect rather than bragging rights. No visible effects, nothing to do in it too. Basically, if you're looking for The Sims-like interactions within the homes, you'll be disappointed.

OK... so the main game sucks... but a site's reputation is built on SOMETHING, right? Must be the mini-games!

Let me laugh. Those mini-games are all rip-offs of old, better arcade games. Not only that but stupid play limit and winning limits means that you're never going to be rewarded for going for the high score there... not that anyone could scratch the bot/cheats-powered high scores on those games. But then, the fact that they're overall short, poorly programmed, and badly balanced is bad enough. Go to Newgrounds and play Megaman VS, Powerfox, and Castle Cat instead.

So, the "game" is awful. But then... it must have a great community, right?

Hahaha. Very funny. It's even worse than the GameFaqs spammers invasion. Behold as bloodthisrty hackers and scammers flood the badly designed boards, drag you into shady schemes, and get the admins to ban you (freeze) because you did better than them!

Getting your account unbanned (unfrozen)? Hahaha. Very funny. Send them an email and behold as you get an automated response that basically tell you that you're a very evil person and that you're NEVER going to be unbanned.

All in all, Neopets sucks. Don't let the creatures' looks fool you ; the game is one of the worst "games" in existence and its success is due entirely to hype.

Now that my big, scary, evil review of Neopets is done...

The Neopets Spyro flash game!

What about it? Read it all about it here!

Premise:
You are the young dragon hatchling, Spyro the dragon! Fight your way through three stages, beating up any bad guys you meet, and reach the end!

Okay, so it's not nearly as deep as it could have been and there is, well, no story to it... but well, I seen much worse before and a game doesn't need a deep premise to be fun, right?

Story:
Sadly, none. Carry on.

Graphics:
The strong point of the game, without a doubt. The main menu feature the newest game's box artwork in all of its glory. The menu elements are well made and the whole thing is clear.

In-game, the graphics are cartoony and detailed. In terms of character design, I do think that the characters doesn't quite look as they should, featuring weird tall insect-like swordmen and black armadillo-like foes... and Spyro's own looks are quite distant from both his oldschool and A New Beginning selves, featuring a more generic dragon-like appearance. Sparx is nowhere to be seen.

Still, despite it all, the enemies DOES look good and Spyro, despite looking more like a recolored ordinary dragon than THE Spyro, is well animated and detailed, like the foes.

The only real qualm that one might have is that the backgrounds does tend to repeat a bit too quickly and the super attacks aren't quite as super-looking as they should, looking more like giant red bars than what they should.

Excluding this mishap, the game is nice to look at.

Sounds:

OW OW OW! First thing, it is a shame that this thing doesn't have an option to mute the music because that, well, it will play a cheap, 4-5 seconds loop of the A New Beginning airship fight music from start to finish. Although you might have liked the tune back in the console version... this little loop, you will get sick of it within a few minutes, I guarantee it!

Now, here's the bad news: it's the only music and will play from start to finish. In the menu, in the first stage, in the second stage, in the credits, EVERYWHERE! So, awful.

Excluding the music, the sounds are decent enough. Sword slashes, Spyro's attacks, the sound of hits connecting with bad guys... definitely decent stuff here. Sadly, they didn't go as far as give Spyro some attack, pain, and death cries but oh well...

Still, the sounds does not make up for that infernal music. Mute the sound ASAP if you value your sanity.

Gameplay:

Ha... the meat of any game: gameplay.

So, how do the thing play?

Pretty nicely, I would like to say. The game play like a classic beat-em-up ; you walk foward when the game tell you to and when it's not doing so, bad guys appear to give you some target pratice.

The inferface is simple enough to understand. The big yellow window show the action, your score and extra life counter are on the bottom left. The red meter in the middle, at the bottom is Spyro's physical strenght and general tolerance to pain. Being hit by baddies decrease that meter. Once it's gone, Spyro collapse and dies. You have two extra lives and after that, Spyro is a goner and you lose the game. The green meter show Spyro's stored magical energy. Using magical attacks reduce that meter. When it's gone, you're reduced to only melee attacks. If you had enough, click the "End Game" text to the bottom right to give yourself an instant game over.

Now, the game's general pattern isn't terribly complicated. Move to the right and eventually, the screen will "freeze" into place and bad guys will walk into the screen from the sides and bottom. There are no bosses ; once you have beaten up enough enemies, the stage ends.

Now, how do you beat up bad guys? Easy to do: just press the "C" button on your keyboard and Spyro will headbutt bad guys. Press "V" and he will perform a tail whip attack. If you want some flashy effects or is surrounded, pressing the "X" button will make Spyro use a magical attack that will blast foes to kingdom come on the spot.

Now, the game's problems is that while everything is good and all (save for the music)... well, we don't get enough of it. The three stages of the game are awfully short and there's only three types of foes to face, all of which are fairly easy to topple. The magic attack is also slow and cumbersome to use and overall, just not worth it. The game is over all too soon, without offering a proper challenge. The lack of bosses only make the whole package only worse.

Conclusion:
The game is good actually... but a severe lack of longevity and variety with awfully repetitive music thrown in keep this game from being any good actually.

Frankly, you will load up the game once, mute it to keep the music at bay, beat it once all too quickly, and forget about it.

Disappointing. Wonder how it would have done if it would have been a full, proper game...

Not too bad so it might be worth the loading... but not too much to see sadly. Still better than most of the Neopets mini-games so worth a go if you're a Neopets fan that must see every flash game out there on the site.

Well, that's all for my opinion on the two subjects (Nopets and the Neopets Spyro flash game).

Have a nice day, people!

#85 Dec 26, 2006 4:43 AM

Shyro

#86 Dec 26, 2006 11:34 AM

Klone
Website

My name on it is cdgw (small name, I know) chack me out, or buy something from my shop, unless you think, I'm ripping you off wink

#87 Dec 26, 2006 3:46 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

OK, I will add you. ^^ Amazing that name wasn't already taken; short ones like that usually are.

#88 Dec 26, 2006 6:58 PM

Klone
Website

LOL, I know, amazing isn't it!!

#89 Jan 03, 2007 2:12 AM

Spyroflamesredsbum
Gems: -5

#90 Jan 03, 2007 5:04 AM

Spyrorocks
Administrator
Website

sfrb, he can oviously write that much because as a 20 year old guy with no life, all he can do is write complaints and reviewa about a childs video game/childs virtual pet website. it is for KIDS. kids dont care if it could have been better, all they want is to be able to pkay their games. they al seem satisfed because neopets gets more memberz every day.

#91 Jan 03, 2007 9:45 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

#92 Jan 04, 2007 4:49 AM

Spyrorocks
Administrator
Website

What can you expect from most 8-10 year olds?

#93 Jan 04, 2007 9:07 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Not much, apparently. T_T

#94 Jan 06, 2007 5:08 AM

Shyro

I found 60+ are on it lol, it seem it for all ages?
but whet you think about it, it seem a little creepy and wierd, but hey it their life.
24/7 on neopets really needs a life.
Since school started for me, I rarely go there but still go, if I have the time mainly to check on the pets.

#95 Jan 06, 2007 3:12 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

Yeah, I'd much rather come here in my free time. But 60 years old and on Neopets? That is creepy. What's his/her username?

#96 Jan 06, 2007 8:44 PM

Spyrorocks
Administrator
Website

Probally some fat 60 year old internet phedophile.

#97 Jan 06, 2007 9:09 PM

Shyro

I not know exact who, but I know that they are out there.

#98 Jan 28, 2007 4:27 AM

Dragginwings

Wow, dat b odd.... But yeah, Neopets is childish but I still LOVE it!!! You can kinda tell, because sometimes my avatar has the BEST Neopet of all-- the Kougra!!! I'm dragginwings05 on there, I prefer to have 1 neopet so they don't gett demanding... But Webkinz is 100000000000000 x better than neopets so I ain't on there too much.... lol And my neopet's name is Eezvop.

#99 Jan 28, 2007 4:31 AM

Shyro

Yeah neopets are slowly losing some intrest to some players

#100 Jan 28, 2007 4:34 AM

Dragginwings

Yeah...*Falls asleep on keyboard* But they are cute!! tongue

Board footer