Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan 31, 2008 12:46 PM

YellowBananas
Gems: 0
Website

All about Sparx?

Sparx is getting more and more useless. If they keep this up then they'll be no Sparx! If theres no Sparx will anyone buy the game? If they made a 'Sparx the Dragonfly' game, People would proberbly buy it. But if they made a Spyro Game with no Sparx, it would be a disater.

#2 Jan 31, 2008 4:12 PM

Rexy
Website

Re: All about Sparx?

I do see that Sparx was made a little redundant, and when it comes to the "sidekick role" for various games of this calibre it's understandable (I remember seeing some people getting equally frustrated when you couldn't just play as Daxter in some sections of the original Jak title). Sure, his role as a health guy may be taken out but I really hope that there will be some sections in the next game where he could be used to temporarily help Spyro deal with certain situations.

#3 Jan 31, 2008 7:13 PM

abbey1053

He does help Spyro a bit. Like on the pirate fleet Sparx help Spyro to get through the bombs.

#4 Feb 01, 2008 2:50 AM

YellowBananas
Website

Thats true. But thats all he does. the only good thing about him not being a health measure is you get more health! big_smile

#5 Feb 01, 2008 5:16 AM

ratchet
Website

well thats normal for these kind of games.
he is more of a sidekick now than a companion. Actually hes got a pretty equal role but in different ways.

#6 Feb 24, 2008 1:29 AM

Scarabbug

I was kinda surprised by this post, actually.
Honestly? I prefer Sparx the way he is now. Purely on a personal level. I  always felt ever so slightly uncomfortable about the fact that this dragonfly, who is written to be Spyro’s “best friend” (and later on, seemingly very much bonded with him) was actually originally only there to take his punches for him. (That was my interpretation of it, anyway). Now in the new games Sparx hangs around because he’s Spyro’s brother and closest friend – they stick together through thick and thin, and Sparx doesn’t have to act as a health bar. And I prefer the idea of a sidekick to just a flying health monitor.
I guess back in the days of the first game, it was more important that they ensured the games had as few superfluous elements as possible –games were a lot harder to program and operated on lower memory and resolution, so you just couldn’t put the kinds of fancy schmancy details into them that you could now.

Sparx was a necessary element of the game in those days because he acted as a health bar (sure they could’ve used a sidebar or something else cliche, but Sparx was a nice and rather original touch). They tried to make the game’s “health monitor” as original as possible, but if they couldn’t assign Sparx with that purpose, he probably wouldn’t have been IN the first game in the first place. As Gemstone also said, it also means they can come up with more conveneitn ways of giving spyro a health limit. The new spyro takes a lot more hits than the old one (remember when there was an in game bonus to get sparx an exra hit point, and that felt really cool? hee! XD)

But now in the new series, they have better tech, and so can afford to add really nice details and generally make the game look so much better than the originals did, because they have more memory and technological advancements available to them.

#7 Feb 24, 2008 1:33 AM

TyVulpine

I prefer the old Sparx, the happy-go-lucky Sparx, not the new David Spade-sarcastic-type Sparx...

#8 Feb 24, 2008 1:38 AM

ratchet
Website

Scarabbug is right, except i do prefer the OLd Sparx, and when i first saw the new one i felt like punching the computer screen. Yes, i think Sparx should of gotton a bigger role than he did in the originals, and Euinox actually did that (one of the few reasons that Equnox are good). Even though i thought his voice in AHT suited him, I think that he shouldn't talk, the Buzzing with subtitles is fine by me.

#9 Feb 24, 2008 1:53 AM

Scarabbug

#10 Feb 24, 2008 1:57 AM

ratchet
Website

I have ajdusted to it too, but not as well as some people. Yeah, your right about sparx being not serious enough, or even too serious. Seing Sparx ws the comic relief of the series, he had to speak English to tell jokes)

#11 Feb 24, 2008 2:02 AM

Scarabbug

#12 Feb 24, 2008 2:05 AM

ratchet
Website

you are right about that. I think in the originals, Hunter was the one that did that sorta stuff, not to mention all those characters everywhere.

#13 Feb 24, 2008 2:08 AM

TyVulpine

#14 Feb 24, 2008 2:10 AM

Scarabbug

Hunter IS coming back, we think... Elora might also work... charactes such as the professor or Zoe might be harder to reintergrate into the new universe, and would probably be extremely different to their original selves... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#15 Feb 24, 2008 2:21 AM

ratchet
Website

ALL OF THEM would probably be extremely different to their original selves

#16 Feb 24, 2008 2:27 AM

Scarabbug

Indeed... though there are obviously some similarities, some of them just won't work, I guess...

#17 Mar 09, 2008 1:31 AM

zizzle1020

i liked the spastic sarcastic sparx he was fun an david spade is funny but it gave a twist to the old sparx cause i thought sparx didnt really do anything till spyro 3  all he really represented was how many hits you had left till ya died ya know yes in my opinion sparx should be more involved like in 10 but should be more like a playabl charater like in 3 year of the dragons

#18 Mar 09, 2008 2:17 AM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Birthday: 1 November

Hey can someone help me on the Electric Cave level on Celestial Caves? I am at the pond where u have to shoot electric orbs at the buttons and i can never activate them quick enough to get to the part to face the Electric King?

-Justin Long Fanatic

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

#19 Mar 09, 2008 1:20 PM

abbey1053

#20 Mar 09, 2008 7:20 PM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Birthday: 1 November

Thanks abbey1053,
I appreciate the advice. I'm now at the Mountain Fortress and man was that elemental dragon tough!

-Justin Long Fanatic

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

Board footer