Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan 23, 2008 10:56 AM

ratchet
Gems: 0
Website

Ten Review By Ratchet

Hey guys, its time for me to review TEN, i havn't finished it yet, but i'll do a review now and when i finish it...

Gameplay- 5/10
I found It hard to give this a 5 but i knew the makers have tried pretty hard to improve this game, besides i havn't finished it yet so i cant judge it.
Pretty much the Gameplay is very similar to 2006's ANB. There are some improvements including  making breath attacks more useful. This means that you will actually have a reason to change your breaths. Akso the difficulty has increased, ANB was a sinch, but its sequel has gone to the extreme and made the game hard as hell. I dont mind a challenge but its gone from one extreme to the other and thats not good. You will actually get to see some decent platforming in TEN. This platforming is a nice addition but sometimes it may be a bit tedios but this is only a minor flaw. The game also adds in collectables which a nice feature, however, THe collectables will achieve you only Concept art. I frankly dont give a rats bum about concept art (but i do realise that some do), and if you complet a level without getting all the colectables in that level, you'll have to wait until you replay the game to achieve them all.
I'll have more on the gameplay when i finish the game, but at the moment, i can see its pretty mediocre.

Story-8.5/10
Once again, TLOS has excelled in it's story for the same reason as it's predossesor. Luckily, now ALL the cutscenes are skippable (be pressing the L1 button) which is a nice feature for people who dont like the story. But you'll have to wait a few seconds before the button can react and for parts where the cutscenes repeat and repeat again if you get killed (noticibly the bosses), this can be annoying.
But the story does Come in great form, Epic, High Quality and Interesting.
You may be able to see a bit of plotholes, The lip synching can be a bit off and the voice acting can sometimes not fit with the character but owell, these things can be forgiven with great quality like this.

Design-4.5/10
The Design has lacked in TEN, and you could probably see ever since you first play. The engine is so similar its narly like the same game, Spyros model is EXACULY the same, so is sparx. THe Enemies are exaculy the same but with different palettes and naes to disguise it. Heck, the boss ravage rider is the same modified boss of ANB's Steam. And any game which reuses the same BOSSES is just sad. Other bosses also look very similar. THe game is also very dark themed which prevents pretty colours, im not saying this is bad but hey, i cant use Sparx as a flashlight ALL day!.

Sound-6.5/10
THe Music has improved quite a bit since ANB though it still lacks just the feeling that you are in this mystical world. Ofcource this is only just me and you dont have to listen to me about the music but this just isn't my thing, i dont feel excited at all. Sparx is still the comedian of the series and the rest are serious soles, not bad. Yes they are voiced by Big name voices but hey, they're still not better.
Speaking of reusing things, Spyro's dieing lines are EXACULY THE SAME aswell as numerous sound effects (including spyro's annoying girly squeal). I may be being picky but dont worry this is only a minor flaw. Atleast the monkey's annoying noises have vanished.

Lasting Appeal-4/10
I havn't finished the game so dont take my word on this, but after i've beaten this game once. i am Almost sure that i will NEVER play this game again. Its just too frustrating and repetative. A few of you might but not me. THis maybe because i Dont like combat games but sorry, once is enough.
Unlike ANB you will actually take a while to complete the game (only because its so frikin hard). You have the option tob go get the 40 Quills to unlock the Concept art but probably you'll just flunk out. Frankly, i believe these quills were just added to get reviews that say "OMG, TEN gave me tonnes of gameplay cause i gotta get da quills!!!1111".

If THe developers could just learn and take spyro back to his fame and glorious style which existed in The originals, maybe he will have a chance and a great future. Who knows whats going up with spyro but if he continues the way he's going, soon he'll be in the bucket.

The Legend Of Spyro: The Eternal Night- 5.7

I'll give another review once i've completed the game, stay tuned and argue if you want.

#2 Jan 23, 2008 9:10 PM

Cynder Fan

Re: Ten Review By Ratchet

Nice review.

I may or may not get The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night.  I found the original LOS to be quite enjoyable, for all it's faults, but I'm just not as attracted to it's sequel.  I'm slightly dissappointed that David Spade didn't return to voice Sparx, but since this is a video game and not a movie, I could live with it.  The graphics look gorgeous, though.  I might pick it up to complete the trilogy.  (if there's still going to be one.)

#3 Jan 23, 2008 10:01 PM

DragonPrincess
Website

Amen to that brother.

#4 Jan 23, 2008 10:29 PM

Volteer32

Yeah I will give you that - Eternal Night is tough, the enemies don't give you a chance to defeat them you have to work out their weakpoints and a strategy to get rid of them.

#5 Jan 23, 2008 11:15 PM

ratchet
Website

No, i actually had no problems with the simple enemies, just the boss-like enemies.
Im sure alot of people wont agree on this review.
Oh yeah, if you've noticed i removed "graphics" because i never reaseach how good the graphics are.

#6 Jan 25, 2008 6:19 AM

ratchet
Website

woops, i actually forgot one topic

Controls and camera-6.5
THe Controls are exaculy the Same As ANB except a few moves to make way for dragon time. Yes, we still have the crappy charge, The Hard to remember buttons and the Switched around Flame. But yes the camera is fine and the buttons arn't too bad.

New score-5.8

#7 Jan 28, 2008 2:13 AM

ratchet
Website

I give up, this game is too annoying, boring and uninspirational, im quitting spyro for now, because hes gone in the crapper these days. Dont agree with me? i dont care, but i have no idea why anyone would like TLOS apart from the story which doesn't even fit spyro's colourful, fun atmosphere. Cya guys!

#8 Jan 28, 2008 3:46 AM

Volteer32

I know it's tough ratchet and yeah I've given it some thought about giving it up too ... but since Skabb Round 3 (as I call it) - I've managed to find a way to beat him, get past the 4 elements in the cave and the elemental dragon (okay spoookily looking like Cynder)

Now I'm up to the last bit I'm at the waterfall where you've got to wait for the correct thing of stairs to procceed .... I'm going to play it through to the end and see what happens from there.

#9 Jan 28, 2008 6:51 AM

ratchet
Website

Any game which takes you forever for you to beat one part and then you have another stinkin part is a bad game. I really cant be bothered playing this game anymore, im going to play spyro 2 for now and forget about that big nosed, Purple eyed excuse for spyro.

#10 Feb 05, 2008 4:59 AM

ratchet
Website

Final Score- 5.8, i really cant be bothered beating this game, maybe in a year or something.

#11 Feb 17, 2008 9:47 PM

Volteer32

Let's just hope #3 blows ANB and TEN away in all aspects smile

#12 Feb 18, 2008 5:09 AM

ratchet
Website

I Hope, i'll buy it anyway.

#13 Feb 22, 2008 12:43 PM

ratchet
Website

Well i guess no one cares, like or wants to see this review.... But anyway, i found this a terrible game, along with ANB. I will not try to convince anyone to take my side but the gameplay was hard, boring and repetative. I can see that they have used they're budget on orchestral music, awesome cutcenes and plot stuff, nice voice talents and just a few improvements on gameplay. Not wise i say, i can see the effort put in, but it was put in on all the wrong ways. Sorry but this was a Bad game and when they make TLOS 3 or other TLOS adventures,  atleast maybe not back to the old style but something atleast better would be nice.
Sorry bout my poor grammer and wording, its like 12am here and im going to bed now lol XD.
My opinion.

#14 Feb 23, 2008 5:21 PM

flame1996

Can I just say, do you reccomend me to get An Eternal Night. After all I have played TLoS ANB.

#15 Feb 23, 2008 10:44 PM

ratchet
Website

if you liked aNB, you should get TEn, but i really dont like this game.

#16 Feb 24, 2008 2:13 AM

Scarabbug

I think we realise that by now wink

It's udnerstandabe that some people don't like the games, and TEN is a very... strange one, I think. Very uppy-downy. It had some brilliant bits, and some really irkiing bits (,like having to beat that last area of the pirate ship over and over and over and... guh) and the repetitiveness gets to some people (funny, I didn't mind t so much). But I found some great bits about it, too.

#17 Feb 24, 2008 2:20 AM

ratchet
Website

i agree, i hated all the bits where using your breaths meant nothing. I liked the parts where you could use your breaths. THe platforming was half and half, it was nice, but a bit tedious. The music was a bit too boring.

#18 Feb 24, 2008 2:28 AM

Scarabbug

I adored the music myself (I'm a sucker for classic fantasy) but it wasn't nearly as original as the first three games score (they should bring stuart copeland back to work on Darkest Hour's music.)

It could've used more puzzled... I really wanted more puzzles. And the game kinda jumped from too easy to too hard really fast XD

Overall I enjoyed it...

#19 Feb 24, 2008 2:33 AM

ratchet
Website

I enjoy TLOS at times, i like it how you get to beat the crap out of Monsters, but i dont like it how there isn't much variety and some bits in the game really *bleep* me off.
The music just wasn't very energetic, and it sent me off to sleep.

#20 Feb 24, 2008 2:43 AM

Scarabbug

It's a... what do you call them? A "Button basher" game? You just whack the control a lot and you'll prbably succeed without much still. TEN was a wee bit harder, I guess, but still not much strategy involved.

hee hee. Sleep was kinda the last thing on my mind when I heard all the dramatic choirals of TEN, but ANB//.. yeah... was sleepymakin' ^_^

#21 Feb 24, 2008 2:46 AM

ratchet
Website

yes, it is a button mashing game, and some "angry people" like to play them to get rid of the stress, and this seems fun.
but really, its fun for an hour, gets repetative, gets boring.

#22 Feb 24, 2008 6:15 PM

Scarabbug

Hmmm... thay explains why I enjoyed TEn so much after a hard day at uni wink

It does get kinda dull... I hope they improve that for "Darkest Hour".

#23 Feb 25, 2008 7:25 AM

ratchet
Website

doesn't everyone want that. But it was REALLY dull compared to Spyro 3 and 2 where there was tonnes of minigames and variety

#24 Feb 25, 2008 9:39 PM

Scarabbug

Oh, yes, the original had WAY better minigames (my perosnal fave is the Idol aprings puzzles). Though I guess they were going for a totally diffrent tone with the new games. It'd look a little... silly if the New Spyro started shoving cats around an ice rink... amusing, but silly XD

#25 Feb 27, 2008 4:51 AM

ratchet
Website

it would be silly, but the reason why they have to make it so its silly is anooying, the new games are epic, they have a nice story and voice actors and crap... But there is nearly no work in the gameplay section, its dismal.

Board footer