Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr 15, 2017 4:23 PM

s0rxi
Banned
Gems: 0

Ratchet and Clank is an overrated gaming series

I remember my brother getting the 2nd game for me. When it was new i was a huge fan of it. But looking back, your basic goal is to simply level up your weapons and win. I dont see how people think this is in a way clever. The Spyro the Dragon series had platforming and usually had new stuff from insomniac games. Ratchet and Clank 1 on PS2 i think was not too bad because while you had weapons it didnt evolve on weapon up grinding as later games in the series did. For example Size Matters on PSP was ported over to PS2, and i even played the spin off Ratchet Gladiator. I just generally think Insomniac games should've stopped after the first Ratchet and Clank and tried something else. I mean i am fine if people like it, but i dont see it as that great. But what about you?

Naughty dog i think did better with Jak and Daxter because the first game is kid friendly, and then 2004 game 3 years later you have Jak 2 and then Jak 3. The good thing is that they knew their audience grew so they made Jak into a much more edgier character due to it. So that i think is one reason you should get the series if you have a Ps2.

As for the PS3 of Uncharted i havent cared so much about, but i think Naughty Dog just wanted to go away from their earlier mascot idealism of the past. But i still love the older games.

Last edited by s0rxi (Apr 15, 2017 4:27 PM)

#2 Apr 16, 2017 7:10 AM

supercoupe91
Gems: 271
Birthday: 18 July

Re: Ratchet and Clank is an overrated gaming series

What bothers me is that they said "there is nothing more we can do with Spyro" after only 3 games while there are like 13 Ratchet games. They never really changed all that much either. I think they're great games, just not 13 games and a movie great.

"Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes."

#3 Apr 18, 2017 8:52 PM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

They're both fun game series so I don't care

Chessmaster
Level 67

#4 Apr 19, 2017 2:00 AM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Birthday: 1 November

I've never really played them fully all the way through so.

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

#5 Apr 30, 2017 10:02 AM

Samuel_The_Dragon

I think the first two Ratchet & Clank games are very good, the first one feels like Insomniac were just getting to grips with the series, and it feels more like a platformer than an action/shooter like the rest of the trilogy. The sequel imporves a lot on the weapons, and the strafing is a god send. It also controls a lot better than the previous, it kind of goes the same for the Spyro games, the first Spyro didn't control the best, but it was okay, and then Spyro 2 came out, and the controls were a lot better.

Anyway, in my opinion, when it got to the third Ratchet game, it felt like the series was starting to get a bit stale, the best thing about Ratchet & Clank 3 is the humour, and the soundtrack. I always thought that the level designs were the best in the first and second, but the level design in 3 is just a straight path, there's no more branching paths like in the previous games.

Gladiator/Deadlocked wasn't too bad, but it was nothing mind-blowing. Same goes for the rest of the games that follow, they're decent at best, but nothing amazing. A Crack in Time, and possibly the remake of the first, are the two games that are really impressive, but the annoying thing about the remake is that they cut out so many cool planets from the original game, and got rid of the original soundtrack, didn't even bother to try and remix the soundtrack, and just gave it some generic orchestral soundtrack which most modern games seem to do nowadays.

I also get this feeling that Insomniac are now biting off more than what they can chew, it feels like they're doing too many games at the same time, and they're not coming out as good as they should be, whereas with Naughty Dog it feels like they're taking their time with the games, and seem to have more quality in them.

#6 Jun 18, 2017 5:22 PM

borromir
Banned

I like the series. PS2 is fast, fun and overall amazing.

#7 Jun 18, 2017 6:29 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Replying to your own threads totally doesn't raise any suspicion, dude. hunter

#8 Jun 18, 2017 6:34 PM

Morgan
Gems: 65

Steinar doesn't use apostrophes, and he only capitalises the word 'I' when it's at the start of a sentence.

#9 Jun 18, 2017 6:36 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

He has such a distinct way of typing, doesn't he? tongue He's banned now anyways lol

#10 Oct 05, 2017 3:35 AM

Spyrofriend
Gems: 147

i disagree on Ratchet being overrated. Ratchet is the last of the Playstation 2 -era mascots that still gets games made.  there hasnt been a true Spyro game made since Dawn of the Dragon.  and the last Jak and Daxter game was , what, Jak X? and having played every single Ratchet game, none of them are bad- my personal fave is probably a Crack in Time.

#11 Oct 09, 2017 10:00 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Website

A Crack in Time was awesome. One of the best PS3 games I've ever played.

#12 Feb 05, 2018 11:44 PM

Zephrese
Birthday: 5 September

Last edited by Zephrese (Feb 05, 2018 11:47 PM)

Board footer