Website

Re: Well guys, it's been fun...

#4 Aug 21, 2015 4:41 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

when North Korea do things like this, it's usually not impulsive like they try to make it seem. it's actually usually very carefully-planned out behind the scenes in advance by a number of Workers' Party officials. there could be a few reasons for them doing this. the loudspeakers at the border (which i hadn't heard about before) are the most likely reason, but there could very, very easily be another reason, too. they might need something from someone so they'll instigate a bit, just enough to scare everyone, and try to work out an "agreement" where they get a lot from other countries, but don't have to give much in return.

North Korea paints itself as a nation that fully sustains itself based on Kim Il-Sung's "Juche" philosophy. in reality, it's been falling apart since a famine in the 90s, and only the small area where tourists are allowed to go (basically Pyongyang) is taken care of enough to keep up appearances. electricity in North Korea is extremely dodgy, and goes out at random times - unless tourists are around. then suddenly the government has the ability to keep up a steady supply of electricity. North Korea has a news station that is, as far as i know, the only TV channel they have, but North Koreans also tend to have TVs hidden in their houses somewhere that pick up South Korean channels.

humanitarian aid (food, medicine) that goes to North Korea doesn't reach the citizens very much unless it's smuggled in illegally across the border so the government can't take it for themselves.

Kim Jong-Un is not the leader of North Korea, he's effectively a puppet now. the Organization and Guidance Department (in the government) is what really pulls the strings in North Korea, but they keep Kim Jong-Un at the forefront of North Korean propaganda (including within the nation) to keep up appearances. the OGD was controlled, maybe even made, if i remember correctly, by Kim Jong-Il, it consisted mainly of friends/allies of his, and they worked for him and he actually was the leader of North Korea, but when he died, power didn't go to Kim Jong-Un. it stayed with the OGD.

#5 Aug 21, 2015 9:26 PM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Gems: 0
Birthday: 1 November

Ugh North Korea I don't get them at all.

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

#6 Aug 22, 2015 10:55 PM

Clock-la
Gems: 0
Birthday: 19 March

#7 Aug 23, 2015 2:10 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#8 Sep 06, 2015 2:59 AM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

North Korea pulls crap like this all the time and nothing ever comes of it. I stopped taking them seriously along time ago.

Chessmaster
Level 67

#9 Sep 06, 2015 10:42 AM

Waffled
Gems: 10

Yeah. They backed down in the end, apparently. That was actually a surprise to me since it goes against all their promises of aggression which they need to keep their population in check.

#10 Sep 06, 2015 2:52 PM

thetruefan
Gems: -15
Website

GET READY FOR THE 0 PERCENT DAMAGE ROCKETS GUYS

#11 Sep 07, 2015 4:22 PM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

Last edited by RangerOfIthilien (Sep 07, 2015 4:22 PM)

Chessmaster
Level 67

Board footer