Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#26 Jul 13, 2008 1:54 AM

ratchet
Gems: 0
Website

Re: Where does this game lie on the Timeline?

#27 Jul 13, 2008 5:31 PM

Spash the Bandragon
Gems: 2

Yeah, I'm pretty sure AHT is on the timeline. It's still a pretty pathedic game, though. But if anyone finds anymore contradictions, post them here.
And you can believe AHT's not on the timeline if you want, there's no official timeline, so we'll never know.

#28 Jul 14, 2008 6:00 AM

ratchet
Website

yeah, thanks. And thankyou for the argument!

#29 Jul 18, 2008 7:23 AM

spyromaster330

I think it is on the timeline even though it has alot of things that sugest it isnt. And also why would they make a game and not bother to put it on the timeline?

#30 Sep 08, 2008 1:16 PM

ratchet
Website

The question is, Should it be on the timeline?
My opinion might also be a bit biased seeing i didn't like AHT that much.

#31 Sep 27, 2008 6:24 PM

Razz
Website

Late response, huzzah!

Personally, I don't think this game fits in with the old games at all. The universe itself has been re-wired in some very obvious ways (there's stuff in AHT that isn't in any of the previous games, and there are a lot of details of the previous games that are missing). I think AHT was a reboot attempt.

#32 Sep 27, 2008 6:46 PM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

They were probably trying to make the game different from ETD, but I don't think it was a reboot. They brought back Gnasty Gnorc for one thing, who references back to the original Spyro the Dragon. Also, they have Hunter, the Professor, and Sgt. Byrd.

#33 Sep 27, 2008 7:17 PM

Razz
Website

That's one of the many reasons WHY AHT is likely a reboot. Gnasty Gnorc died, very obviously, in StD and there was nothing that even hinted that he'd survived (unlike the epilogue in RR that implied Ripto could have made it). Also, the entire world set up was different, there were tons of characters who's species had never been shown to exist in any of the dragon worlds prior to this game, everything looked different, and characters who were in previous games were so different they were nearly unrecognizable (namely, Moneybags and Hunter).

#34 Sep 27, 2008 8:33 PM

Paranoia
Website

#35 Sep 27, 2008 8:57 PM

Razz
Website

A reboot is a complete re-start of a series (LoS is a reboot, as is Tomb Raider: Legend).

AHT is a botched reboot; they were sort of keeping with some things from the old games, but in many respects, they had completely changed everything else. The only thing AHT has in common with the older games, really, are the names of certain characters. Everything else, including the character personalities and the entire world setting, is completely different.

#36 Sep 27, 2008 9:11 PM

Paranoia
Website

#37 Sep 27, 2008 9:22 PM

Razz
Website

Are you kidding me? D: Hunter went from being a sweet, doofy guy who's overall good-natured to being a complete arrogant jerk who thinks he's better than everyone else. Sgt. Byrd went from being a no-nonsense, kind-hearted soldier to a know-it-all, better-than-thou jerk. The Professor became a petty snob, Bentley was a small-minded wuss all of a sudden, and don't even get me started on Moneybags...

And that's just from a personality standpoint. In terms of character design, they look completely different.

#38 Sep 27, 2008 10:49 PM

Kazoobie64
Website

#39 Sep 27, 2008 11:08 PM

Razz
Website

Like I said, botched reboot. big_smile They didn't intend to reboot the series completely, but it's clear that they were trying to remake it.

#40 Oct 05, 2008 9:25 PM

Ignitus's #1fan

Not really. I think this is canon with the rest of the old series games(unfortunately).

Gnasty Gnorc... didn't die >.>. He appeared in the epilogue of YotD, and what's more... well, he did poof into dust at the end of the boss fight, but don't forget that at the end of Spyro 1, he re-cast his crystallization spell and Spyro said "Here we go again..." (talk about plotholes). Hunter was cocky in the originals as well, only he had a likeable goofiness too. Sgt. Byrd was never really clearly developed to begin with, so his sudden pomposity in AHT can be overlooked >.>. One major plot hole would be Sparx's talking(okay, TLoS Sparx talking is very acceptable, since it's a reboot and he's actually funny in the process, but old Sparx talking.........................). Spyro was just plain unbearable in AHT... but still, his change can be overlooked as well. He was always cocky. The Professor was a bit odd in that game, though... not to mention the sudden butchering of the elders(god, they were just plain awful). Those I can't explain.

AHT was just a game that really screwed up the old series plotline. That's why I said that it's "unfortunately" part of the old series canon(the old series was never big on plot at all, but AHT was just plain disrespectful towards what it did have).

"May the ancestors look after you... may they look after us all" - Ignitus

#41 Oct 06, 2008 2:45 PM

Razz
Website

The old series (Insomniac and, much as it pains me to say it, EtD to a minor extent) may have been small on plot but, for the most part, they did keep their stories connected. The locations were all plausible places that fit in with the preceding games (Avalar is established as an alternate universe, the Forgotten Realms are part of the dragon world, every game begins in Artisan Home, and Dragon Shores is mentioned in all of the Insomniac titles). This started to unravel in EtD, but we did still have Bianca and Hunter and everyone looked the same (only hit with the ugly stick).

The problem with AHT is that it suddenly introduces places that were never there before (Dragon Kingdoms? What?) and retcons an established concept (the dragon eggs had already hatched in YotD; what's up with them suddenly being unhatched?). It also introduces things that didn't exist story-wise: there were no elders in the Insomniac titles (it was never established that those first dragons you rescue are elders, just that they're the first dragons you rescue). Let us not forget the entire look and layout of the world itself has changed as well as the established social structure (when did dragons get nannies? When did all these random animals move into the dragon homeworlds? Where were Ember and Flame before this? When did dragons start living in huts? When did Moneybags become a bad Russian stereotype who pretends to care about Spyro? and on and on).

I'm sure AHT was intended to fit in with the old games, but it does so many things to ensure that it can't. It doesn't even fit anywhere in a timeline for the old series (is this before YotD, after...? Who knows!). This is probably less of a botched reboot and more of a botched retcon of the series. Regardless, there's no way it logically fits in with the games that preceded it, though I'm sure it was supposed to.

#42 Oct 06, 2008 8:33 PM

Ignitus's #1fan

I pretty much agree. It was intended to fit, but it really... didn't tongue.

As for the dragon eggs... ironically, the original trilogy had a similar plothole. XD You had to save dragon eggs in Spyro 1. But they only come once every twelve years. Zuh? XP

"May the ancestors look after you... may they look after us all" - Ignitus

#43 Oct 25, 2008 1:39 PM

lilgti

theres 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count and those who cant

#44 Oct 25, 2008 1:44 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

#45 Oct 29, 2008 1:05 PM

Spyro Master

well he did look a bit bigger in spyro 3 form wot he was in spyro 1 i relised that he had grown up a bit

#46 Nov 13, 2008 7:02 PM

T3h0v4llu
Banned

I dont really care, when the game was okay. To be a good spyro game it doesnt have to be EXACTLY like the three first ones. Unless its very bad like tlos.

#47 Nov 14, 2008 6:27 AM

ratchet
Website

Dont worry, these days i consider it part of the Spyro timeline, dispite it having absurd characters and many things that do not make sense. But they way i place this on the timeline is very far fetched which alot of people would disagree with.

#48 Nov 14, 2008 1:13 PM

T3h0v4llu
Banned

Good for you. It beats the tlos series for sure.

#49 Nov 15, 2008 8:43 AM

ratchet
Website

I also noticed razz agreed with me on the subject, that is a change, her and me usually don't agree. eh heres where i put this game:

So basicly, a few years after Spyro: season of flame, Red and Gnasty AND RIPTO start forming a plan to use dark gems to warp the dragon realms and its inhabbitants. Then when they are the most vulnerable, Ripto would devise a plan to destroy the dragons and if that didn't work, Gnasty and Red would do something. Gnasty gnorc creats false gems which do the same job as normal gems and uses them to create gnorcs. He then goes into the Dark gem mine, along with Ripto and observes his gnorc slaves mining dark gems. Gnasty Gnorc, Ripto and his slaves were the first people affected by the dark gems, it effected his personality, look and memory. though it only effected Ripto's look. A few years after the mining, Red and gnasty start dropping dark gems around the dragon kingdom, and the inhabbitants personalities and looks start or morth, unaware what the dark gems are doing to them. Moneybags, who has been hanging around the dragon realms ever since Spyro 3, had been one of the worst effected and one of the quickest effected. His voice, personality, memories, look changed. Hunter got somewhat smarter and since spyro 3 had taken up an a boy and arrow hobby. We already knew he could use one seeing we saw him use it in Spyro 2 in fracture hills. (except after AHT while he was recovering he got somewhat dumber as seen in ETD). The professor's voiced changed and look. Spyro's personality changed and look and voice. Spyro also forgot how to glide as well as some of his other abilities. Sgt.byrd's voice changed and personality. Bentley's voice and personality changed. Then the events of Spyro orange took place. After Spyro orange, blink got effected and lost his memory of the events of spyro orange. Spyro forgot about blink too. Then AHT took place. During this time, Elora was away. AHT took place at the year of the dragon after YOTD (12 years after YOTD) Spyro, because he's a dragon, doesn't age like humans, thats why, even though he's in his 20s, he's still young. After AHT, everyone's persoonalities and stuff returned back to normal, except some people quicker than others. And some assmed other personalities.

A few other things:
-Gnasty obviously survided seeing Spyro talks about how he wants Gnasty to improve and stuff in the 120% cutscene, not to mention in the same cutscene you saw that the dragons were once again frozen in crystal. Also, you see him in the YOTD epilogue. Why he complerely disappeared? well i think he simply teleported and lost his stick in the process.
-Either the dragon elders were simply effected by the dark gems or they were completely different dragons. Maybe those dragon names were popular, i'm sure some are.
-The extra species in AHT simply could've moved from another land (such as Avalar, Forgotton realms) between games or were originally there anyway. I'm sure we didn't see ALL the places/realms in Spyro 1, 2, 3, SOI, SOF!
-Sparx talking could be explained by the dark gems. but i wouldn't be surprised by the fact that at a certain age, dragonflies can learn to talk, just like human babies.
-Just so i can explain this here, The 12 dragon eggs in Spyro 1 could've been left over from the last year of the dragon, or early for the next one, or simply they coul've been there just so the dragons have back up just incase something goes wring with the batch born in the year of the dragon. Or... maybe dragons are just free to breed whenever they want and so there is always a few at a time but then dragons are mostly expected to breed around the year of the dragon. maybe it's "lucky" or something.

So yeah, that's my theory. enjoy!

#50 Nov 16, 2008 11:30 PM

Razz
Website

Wait, we agreed? XD I thought I didn't include AHT with the Insomniac games. It certainly looks AU to me.

Board footer