#2 Feb 13, 2010 11:55 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

Re: Banned topics - please read [NEW THREAD]

I've wanted this since the banned topics rule came out and have been meaning to talk to SR about it. I think it could really help the forum gain more activity.

Does anyone remember the Featured Threads idea I came up with a while back? I haven't been able to find many threads with the good discussion value I was looking for. This could change that; controversial topics are often the most interesting.

#3 Feb 14, 2010 11:31 AM

Clock-la
Gems: 0
Birthday: 19 March

thank you i rE-voted:3

#4 Feb 15, 2010 7:25 PM

RedDragonX
Website

I also support the idea if I've never said it before. I believe these topics can easily be discussed in a controlled environment under constant observation, this is why I supported Stormy when she came up with the original idea of creating a separate board for those banned topics.

Regardless, get as many members to support this before pushing it any further. Good way to do it though.

#5 Feb 15, 2010 9:48 PM

dragon protector x
Gems: 20
Birthday: 30 January
Website

I do like the ideas but the only draw back is that some times THe discussions can get way to heated and get locked and then people argu over it becomeing locked. Non the less i like the idea. a little more freedom

I am a starting artist and video editor.

#6 Feb 16, 2010 12:12 AM

yearofthe
Website

I guess it could be allowed. If people hate it, then don't go in that section!

#7 Feb 16, 2010 10:10 AM

bmah

#8 Feb 17, 2010 6:12 AM

~cornys~

I think you all know where I stand here.. Yes!

Maybe another mod if needed, but I think the current mods have it under control and this would be a non-issue.

If tomorrow may never come, and yesterday is just a memory, then what is today worth?

-Cameron (Cornys) Corns

#9 Feb 27, 2010 11:33 PM

bmah

Bringing this thread up to attention again, because I would like to see if anyone else would like to vote before I attempt to go onto the next step (which is probably bringing this up directly to SR). If I left it as it is right now, the whole poll would be meaningless.

#10 Mar 02, 2010 2:19 AM

~cornys~

I don't think it get's much attention here.... Nobody ever seems to check this forum... Can you do this discussion in the SPAM section right now?

(666th post lol smile)

If tomorrow may never come, and yesterday is just a memory, then what is today worth?

-Cameron (Cornys) Corns

#11 Mar 03, 2010 3:50 AM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

I think most of the active members who actually care have voted on it. And an 8:1 ratio seems to be pretty telling on how the forum is leaning, so I think it would be safe to bring it up to Spyrorocks. (as if he can't see the thread now) tongue

#12 Mar 03, 2010 5:09 AM

bmah

Yeah, this is good enough. More votes aren't going to really do much more now. I'll PM SR about it.

edit: done. Updates will be made on the situation later.

#13 Mar 03, 2010 7:07 AM

spyromaster330

I've decided to return after about a year, and I think that it would be a great idea if these banned topics were allowed. The reason I left in the first place was because there was nothing interesting to talk about, so this would make things more interesting.

#14 Mar 03, 2010 11:55 AM

Rurikredwolf
Birthday: 14 October
Website

Agreed, there is nothing worth noticing for me. I enjoy expressing my opinion (not flaming) on things.

#15 Mar 03, 2010 4:48 PM

Nightfall
Birthday: 26 August
Website

#16 Mar 07, 2010 6:56 AM

bmah

Nothing yet. But I know SR is lurking around here, since he is replying to other threads in the same forum right here. Just when I thought it was a reply to this thread. sigh

#17 Mar 08, 2010 11:21 PM

A Guy
Website

He voted no. It was a good try, though.

#18 Mar 09, 2010 1:39 AM

Spyro22

Well, does anyone think this is actually gonna get us a banned topic section?
By the way, does anyone know of SR's reply yet?

"I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity."

- C. S. Lewis

#19 Mar 09, 2010 6:37 AM

bmah

I didn't notice before, but you can find out the specifics by clicking on "Detailed Results" under the poll. Small link.

Anyways, yes, I'm not going to try advocating further on the subject. However, I think it's completely fair if I do ask for Spyrorock's rationale on his decision, despite being against the majority. Explanation first though - then we're done. Otherwise, any decision without reasoning only leaves people wondering. Back it up!

Thanks for trying people.

#20 Mar 22, 2010 1:16 AM

Blaze the Dragon

Actually, I think opening up the topics again would be a good way to bring life back into this forum. Yes people, I'm back with posts instead of just a simple lurker as of late. Didn't really want to post as I didn't see anything that caught my interest.

Controversial topics aren't necessarily negative; they can provoke/promote intellectual growth by seeing things from a new side. For instance, this year in my English class we went into an existentialism unit. Oooohhh, fun! (about as much fun as a root canal, but I digress). It made me really think about other philosophies on life.

Now, of course, it can be regulated to the degree other topics are; moderator action to stop flame wars, etc. Regulation is all fine, well and good, but censorship is a bit much.

Then again, this is just my opinion. Those who disagree with it are of course free to disagree with it. I'm not going to be a zealot and tell you "you have to take my side" because everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

#21 Mar 22, 2010 3:39 AM

bmah

You know, all I'm waiting for is SR's explanation for his "no", which hasn't been provided yet. A decision can stand, but SR should at least have the decency for posting a brief explanation.

In other news, I would've really liked to have talked about the health care bill - the voting is almost complete and this could be historic for America. Too bad we can't discuss it.

#22 Mar 22, 2010 10:18 PM

cooldude22345

#23 Mar 05, 2011 9:27 PM

Aceedwin

I feel like bumping this simply because I don't want the topic to drop for as long as it has.

I've never understood the idea that we mustn't argue or disagree. It's not like we're going to hurt each other, physically or mentally. Sensitive topics like those that are banned will no doubt result in arguing, that's practically guaranteed. But if it's regulated, and strict no-ad-hominem policies are used, with punishment, then why not? Give it a few entry restrictions, e.g. Must be above 13, must have posted a few times to prove maturity, etc.

But let's face facts. SPAM is the most popular forum. That's just not right. If we were let off the chain a little, so we could engage in intelligent, witty, and genuinely fun debate, then it'd be like pumping these forums full of steroids. We'd finally have something to talk about other than the regular topics. The old "Movie + opinion" or "Hey, something terrible happened to me, attention plz" threads.

SR, it's not like it's a contentious issue. 25/27 people thought it was a good idea, and you were one of the dissenters. Ironically, I can't whine on about democracy because it might fall under politics, but regardless, numbers speak for themselves. Hopefully the bumping will bring this to the attention to people who haven't voted yet (assuming the poll hasn't closed, I can't see it from here).

#24 Mar 06, 2011 6:42 PM

Spyrorocks
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 4
Website

I'm considering lifting the banned topics rule for a month to see how it goes.

First of all, I hereby declare that Politics CAN BE DISCUSSED, and we will go from there.

#25 Mar 06, 2011 7:48 PM

Aceedwin

Got it saved, as well as the date.

Board footer