Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar 27, 2011 8:32 PM

PoisoningOrchid
Gems: 0

To trust or not to trust

THIS THREAD IS ONLY TO TLOS FANS

NO HATERS ALLOWED

So what do you guys think of future Spyro? If Skylanders is released, Spyro's throat will be slit. At least rely on fanfic, yet, you gotta admit that TLOS was a beautiful, mystic series of fantasy with a wonderful ending. The ending drama when Cynder said she loves him even made me cry!

So please, at least vote the poll on this TLOS hating forum.

#2 Mar 27, 2011 10:34 PM

JazzJackrabbit

Re: To trust or not to trust

If it's a game, yes.  If it's a movie, no.
If there is ever another TLOS game, it had better have a real story writer.  My Spyro/Jazz TLOS story idea has less plot holes than DOTD, and it fits the characters quite well.

Yo, Spyro
I'm really happy for you, but Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the best platformers of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

#3 Mar 28, 2011 12:13 AM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

I'm not a TLoS fan, but I just have to warn you that no matter what you say in your first post you can't restrict your thread to only certain people. Anyone can post wherever they want.

I'm pretty sure TLoS is no more, like the original Spyro. But if it was announced... if it's a movie, no, but if it's a game, possibly.

#4 Jun 24, 2011 8:25 AM

THEKIDWITHAKNIFE.

spyro has always had a lot of potential it's just nobody ever really tries to tap it... the last time they tried they failed ....dawn of the dragon ....

Getting old: It's gonna Happen.
Growing up: Not a chance!

"opinions are, imunity to being told your wrong...
paper, rock, and scissors they, all have their pros and cons!" .....................(Reliant K)

Check me out on Youtube.com and DeviantArt.com!!!

#5 Jun 24, 2011 4:15 PM

RedDragonX
Website

As of right now the entire LoS arc is officially over I'm afraid. It had an immense amount of potential but wasn't done in the most constructive way. Skylanders isn't even a game that directly focuses on Spyro, it's instead listed as a Spyro spinoff since they don't think the character has enough backing to push his own mainstream game.

If the game is a success then they are willing to do more with the character I suppose, but the odds of them wanting anything to do with LoS is pretty much zero.

#6 Jun 24, 2011 8:36 PM

JazzJackrabbit

TLOS should just be redone in its entirety.

Yo, Spyro
I'm really happy for you, but Jazz Jackrabbit is one of the best platformers of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

#7 Jun 25, 2011 5:01 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

Last edited by 36IStillLikeSpyro36 (Nov 16, 2016 6:09 AM)

#8 Jun 25, 2011 1:03 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

#9 Jun 25, 2011 3:35 PM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

I voted yes just because Spyro is kind of a quiet franchise now.  So, any news and rumors is good news and rumors.  Some people see things that are and ask, Why? I dream of things that never were and ask, Why not?

#10 Jun 26, 2011 11:24 AM

Jackson117

Well the dragon universe of it all kinda felt realistic fantasy like, great setting for a show like Avatar the last Airbender was or other media based in the universe.

Heck 50% of fanfic's have this general idea and seem to pay it off well.

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#11 Jun 26, 2011 9:45 PM

Shiruba

I would be disappointed if it went in either direction. I do like the seriousness the Los series brung into the mix but I think it was too cliche. Spyro's universe is large and I believe they can easilly make something unique and interesting. Especially with technology now the game would look amazing but gameplay is just as important. I'll just be glad if Spyro continues and maybe one day we can have fans of spyro finally create the games we want.

#12 Jun 30, 2011 3:23 PM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

#13 Jul 01, 2011 4:14 AM

Jackson117

Thing is Malefor need's to be more background and character involved, destory the world? i rather he had some shady goal

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#14 Jul 01, 2011 3:05 PM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

Malefor's shady goal was to destroy the world. in his "discussion" with Spyro/Cynder, Malefor mentions "the true role of the purple dragon".

"It has been the duty of our predecessors to resurrect the Destroyer and
the golems of the deep... to bring about the great cleansing."

"This is the true nature of our kind."

"Your destiny is to destroy the world."

#15 Jul 01, 2011 11:52 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

I think what he's saying is "destroying the world" doesn't make much sense as a villain's goal, and I would agree with that. Maybe it would make more sense if I played DotD, but I really don't see how a plot of destroying the world could possibly make any sense. And don't tell me it's "destiny," because that would be what I would call a lame plot device to try to force it to make sense. It still doesn't.

#16 Jul 02, 2011 12:58 AM

JazzJackrabbit

Luthor's goal was to kill as many people as he could just for the lulz, so he tried to sink California by nuking the San Andreas Fault.  He was just crazy, while Malefor may have had a grain of good intention in his evil scheme.

Yo, Spyro

OF ALL TIME!

#17 Jul 02, 2011 12:11 PM

Jackson117

#18 Jul 04, 2011 8:05 AM

Shiruba

I want to rule the world/ take over the world. Haven't we seen seen this ridiculously too often? I understand if others think it's more mature but I'm tired of this simple plot to drive a story. It's not really nature and if anything it's blatantly predictable. With the classic the story worked with what it was meant to be but with Los I felt it just didn't work at all. I'm just tired that no the villain has some meaningless goal and no matter how powerful they are. Their terribly stupid enough to lose. Stormy is absolutely right, I'm not trying to bash it too bad but it's just I was excited with a new IP and letdown.

Swaffy is right, I'm planning on writing and being a game developer and I want to create a Spyro game I believe is worthy of both the classic spyro gamers with gameplay(adventure, classic look, classic characters and hub worlds) while trying to keep the Los fans with a mature story I think they would enjoy. I know No one will believe it until it happens but I'm on my way  getting there.

I understand if others like the Los series it's just my opinion. Just to me the story wasn't entertaining, characters bored me and gameplay wasn't unique. If I ever do get Spyro, Cynder would be something I'd definetly consider. I'm not a Mary sue, Gary stu ethusiast.

If you wonder how I could make a story with Spyro mature and addicting without a cliche villain? I find it simple. Make an antagonist that has a purpose and you can relate too. It creates a deeper story and more of an impact. As an example, what if a character, let's call him Rain for now, lived in the forgotten realm as the portals began to close. As a last effort to save his portal he entered the homeworld to find a way to save his home but one day it closes. He feared going back in knowing his home would be frozen from the lack of magic. He starts taking care of the portals in the homeworld to try and forget the pain but eventually he feels guilty. He tries to go back but in doing so he breaks his own portal. Seeing his mistake he tries to go for help and goes toward the sorceress. She starts to breed hatred into him fir the dragons abandoning them. He becomes the sorceresses apprentice before Bianca but eventually despises her as well with the way she treats creatures and goes on his own to help other portals from breaking like his did. When Spyro appears and rescues the forgotten world. A little after Rain pretends to be his friend but wants to use Spyro to steal his magic so the forgotten realm can survive without dragons... It's a rough idea and sorry it got out of hand. I did this on my itouch so sorry for any errors in spelling and sorry if this post is long I just got a bit too into it. It doesn't have to be that serious but it can easilly be edited to be made for a game.

I do love Jazz's idea that the villain should have a good intention. It makes them more realistic and different. I do hope one of us someday one of us will be part of Spyro and not only heal the wounds but would excite us again.

Sorry for the long blocky post.
My apologies.

#19 Jul 04, 2011 9:38 AM

Aceedwin

Alex Delarge is one of the best villain protagonists of all time. Has no goal other than to be a violent criminal and completely oppose morality.

Sephiroth, often called the greatest villain in a game, does it purely to gain personal power.

GLaDOS is villainous to advance science, and also because she hates you personally.

I'm too tired to think of many more of these examples, but my point is clear: Villains don't need good intentions to be good villains.

#20 Jul 04, 2011 11:15 AM

Jackson117

Problem is people are too quick to jump the gun on such things and then shut off and state a villain is cliche.

#21 Jul 04, 2011 5:56 PM

Shiruba

Glados was a perfect villain, she was designed for testing and became corrupted. It easilly explained and why she hated you. She relived her moments of you killing her and understandably she wanted to kill you. Glados is far more complex then just she hates you.

I was never a fan of final fantasy so I won't say much there but with seven Wasn't Sephiroth doing this for his 'mother'?

It's far from the cliche that Malefor was. Those were unique an interesting characters and with Malefor it failed to differentiate itself. You could have called him Bowser and I wouldn't see the difference.

Again I'm not arguing if it's a bad game it's just my opinion about what I believe about the legend of spyro.

I didn't try to jump and make a conclusion about Malefor. I tried to like him because I love Spyro(and I'm a fool for his games) but in the end it felt like a generic experience.

Honestly was Malefor any Sephiroth or Glados?

The characters you picked are perfect examples of what villains should be. Sephiroth's killing of one of Cloud's friends and Glados's malicious puzzles and the way she toyed with you was amazing. What did Malefor do? He failed constantly?

Please don't say I'm doing this because I just jumped on Malefor for no reason. I'm just tired of developers doing storylines like this just to get a game moving. I respect your posts. It's just there's a difference even when a villain wants to create chaos there's just more to the villain then just that.

#22 Jul 05, 2011 5:56 AM

Jackson117

Originally from the concept art it gave the ideal that malefor was not even a dragon anymore anyway to begin with, but a entity that literally manifested from your emotions.

Concept art for DOTD show's Spyro fighting Dark Spyro

#23 Jul 05, 2011 1:26 PM

JazzJackrabbit

Yo, Spyro

OF ALL TIME!

#24 Jul 05, 2011 2:40 PM

Aceedwin

Spoilers ahoy.

I agree that Malefor was a pretty rubbish villain. I think the entire TLOS trilogy was pretty rubbish, to be honest. I'm not arguing with that point. I disagree with you when you say villains should have good or relatable intentions. That's not necessary.

Glados was corrupted, but you never get a sense of why, except perhaps because they screwed around with her AI too much. You kill her in self-defence, and she eventually lets you go, so clearly she wasn't that phased about the incident. I never identified with Glados, I just thought of her as a demented torturer that hated my guts for something that was her fault.

Sephiroth wanted to make his mother proud by controlling the lifestream itself, but he was clearly not just an adult child, he was well in control of his faculties prior to discovering his "mother" (she wasn't his reSPOILERal mother). In all honesty, he was just driven mad by his own idea that he deserved power.

Anyway, I always prefer villains whose motivations are bad for the sake of bad, just as some people choose to do good because they want to. Making a villain who has a morally good reason for being a villain works to undermine your protagonist's method for doing good. A villain that does bad for no reason takes this a step further, by undermining the protagonist's motivation. If a villain is able to function while being purely evil, then perhaps good isn't the only option after all. That's how I see it anyway.

#25 Jul 05, 2011 3:42 PM

JazzJackrabbit

Yo, Spyro

OF ALL TIME!

Board footer