Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 May 30, 2009 5:21 AM

bastian
Gems: 0
Website

Old/New Spyro fan

I'm both. I started with the first game back when it first came out, and then played Spyro 2 when it came out . . . but lost track of the series. I didn't play Spyro 3, but I got Enter the Dragonfly . . . and it was terrible. I hated it. I finished it, but I missed my old Spyro.

Then one night when I was bored I wiki-ed Spyro and found out about The Legend of Spyro trilogy! It sounded awesome! But I was determined to finish the first trilogy, so I got Spyro 3 from ebay and played and finished it (I LOVED it!) and started in on The Legend of Spyro.

Wow.

Completely different.

Equally good in The Legend of Zelda kinda way . . . but . . . I miss my old Spyro. What I loved about Old Spyro so much was mainly the light fluffy magical level design. Even if it was a truly evil place full of evil creatures, the creatures were cute and cartoony and the level was gorgeous and magical full of secret passageways and hidden rooms and all so BRIGHT and COLORFUL and happy. Maybe that's what I loved about those games, they felt happy and safe.

And the MUSIC! Stewart Copland is a genius, and especially with the Spyro music. So unique and enchanting.

The NEW Spyro . . . doesn't have ANY of that. And Sparx speaks besides "bzzzbzzzbzzzbzzbz"? And is voiced by David Spade? I HATE David Spade!

But . . . I'm loving it. It would have been better, though, if they had just made up a new dragon and it had nothing to do with Spyro at all. But then no one would have played it probably. I don't know . . . I'm on the fence. it's a really good game so far, but . . . I miss my old Spyro.

#2 May 30, 2009 2:36 PM

Spyro.Lover.Forever

Re: Old/New Spyro fan

I'm both too.

The originals bring back alot of memories from my childhood, I remember lying on my bed playing them all day long tongue

The new ones are just epic, I love them.

#3 May 30, 2009 7:42 PM

~cornys~

I think there is another thread for this and once a mod. sees this it will be moved or deleted.... I have nothing wrong with this topic though...

I like both equaly myself... smile

If tomorrow may never come, and yesterday is just a memory, then what is today worth?

-Cameron (Cornys) Corns

#4 May 30, 2009 9:00 PM

grievous16

I am a LoS fan, as everyone knows.

One day the unreal shall be real, the fallen shall rise, and the nightmares shall become a reality. Those who follow shall earn life eternal. Those who don't shall die. The rising of the Dark Lord shall be humanity's undoing. All hail the Dark Lord of the Sith.

#5 May 30, 2009 10:22 PM

RedDragonX
Website

I support both series for their own reasons...and I'm not motivated enough to write them all down at the moment tongue

#6 May 31, 2009 4:52 AM

bastian
Website

as much as i'm loving the legend of spyro games, i really do miss the original trilogy style. i wish insomniac would make a new trilogy in the style of the originals.

#7 May 31, 2009 3:37 PM

ratchet
Website

The Original trilogy PWNS TLOS, But TLOS is the reason why I am here now, And For now It has kept the franchise alive...atleast

#8 Jun 01, 2009 2:05 PM

nobody

The orginal trilogy is epic win. I used to spend the whole day playing spyro fairly often, and when I did it was a day well spent.

#9 Jun 01, 2009 3:47 PM

fbocabral

#10 Jun 04, 2009 2:39 AM

spyroNcynder
Website

Yo los adoro todo de comenzar a terminar, yo justo no los he terminado, yo no he jugado temporada de llama, de naranja de spyro, y de spyro: legado de sombra.

translation

I love them all from begining to end, I just have not finished them, I have not played season of flame, spyro orange, and spyro: shadow legacy.

#11 Jun 04, 2009 7:29 PM

Neotyguy40

#12 Jun 04, 2009 11:14 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Eh he translated it so it's all good smile.....Already given my opinion here.

#13 Jun 05, 2009 5:24 PM

Jay Tanoshi
Website

#14 Jun 06, 2009 6:50 AM

ratchet
Website

#15 Jun 06, 2009 5:53 PM

Neotyguy40

#16 Jun 08, 2009 2:36 AM

Jay Tanoshi
Website

Well...umm...not to side with Ratchet or anything, but...I...was kind of able to beat A New Beginning in 6 hours on my first go.  Eternal Night did take a bit longer, and Dawn of the Dragon took me quite a while.  But hey, I enjoyed them from start to end.  All 3 Legend games...awesome.  I did wish they were a bit longer though...

Also Neotyguy40, graphics don't factor the amount of time the game can be played and such.  It all depends on how long the creators stick to making the game.  Technology was rather limited at the time the first 3 Spyro games were around.  Even now, it could take the same amount of time, even with all the enhanced graphics and what not.  If Activision makes a new Spyro sequel (to the Legend series), I would expect really long gameplay and such if they stick to making the game for 1.5 to 2 years.

#17 Jun 08, 2009 8:16 AM

ratchet
Website

#18 Jun 08, 2009 11:01 AM

Blaze the Dragon

#19 Jun 08, 2009 12:51 PM

ratchet
Website

#20 Jun 08, 2009 10:02 PM

RedDragonX
Website

Why the heck do you think Kingdom Hearts is so freaking popular. When I first heard about I was like..."Man how the heck can you combine too so completely different things like Disney and FF......just wrong..."

Now look at it....the story was superb and it has spawned a world wide best selling franchise. What finally gripped me onto the story was just how well the two aspects did end up going together.....AND it was something different to boot.

I always like things that stray away from originality and such....new ideas and new concepts are usually a win in my mind.

#21 Jun 30, 2009 4:33 PM

BlueSpirit94

Old spyro all the way. I've played the old ones so many times but they never get boring to me. I love them so so so much. The music is so awesome. The story line is simple but great. There is just somthing about them that makes me love them

#22 Aug 13, 2009 10:13 PM

cynderfire

I'm not so keen on the old one. I never experienced playing the old games. I'm more in to the new Spyro (TNB TEN.)

#23 Aug 14, 2009 3:56 AM

~cornys~

for most of us the origonals are childhood memories.... that's something all together great.... the new ones lack this and automaticaly get a little more oppression.... As said... I like both.... I'll defend both.... and attack neither....

If tomorrow may never come, and yesterday is just a memory, then what is today worth?

-Cameron (Cornys) Corns

#24 Sep 03, 2009 5:38 PM

SuperSpyroFan

Well that's a simple question for me.

Old Spyro rules,
New Spyro sucks.

Hi, I don't know what else to say. LOL

#25 Sep 09, 2009 2:47 AM

Saeth

I prefer old over the new Spyro. However, The new trilogy is interesting but poorly executed. If put in the hands of a real passionate developer the TLOS trilogy could have been a lot better instead of continuing to live in the shadow of the original, if not even be a resident in its shadow.

In other words, I more leaning towards being an old Spyro fan than I'm a new Spyro fan. I don't hate, or loathe new series, its just not my cup of tea for Spyro. If they would have spent more time on it or just made it a movie from the start, then I wouldn't complain or rag on it so much.

But then again any gamer can see that TLOS is quite a lukewarm game trilogy...

Board footer