Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar 11, 2009 2:48 PM

Fresh blood
Gems: 0

What is Cynder's true element and, by extension, true colour?

I'm sure you've all noticed that over the course of The Legend of Spyro Trilogy Cynder's colouring changed. Now, I know that you would just disagree with what I say and just natter on about how the developers changed and so did the game art and so on and so forth. But for the sake of discussion let's assume that the developers aren't the reason.

Now, the elements Cynder can use are wind, shadow, fear and poison. As she can use more than one element because of her exposure to Malefor's influence one of the above elements had to have been her original one, or some other element that was repressed. Also because her colour changes to lean more towards a dark purple than black I'm under the impression that her colour change is due to being exposed to the influences of two purple dragons, Spyro and Malefor. She was black because of Malefor's initial corruption, then went to a paler colour when Spyro rescued her. Then as she aged her exposure to convexity altered her colouring to include purple hues, which is why she didn't age to be the black colour she was when she was an adult.
So, looking at that you could assume that her colouring isn't natural and that because the fear, poison and shadow elements are connected to Malefor as dark elements then her original element is Wind.

What do you think?

#2 Mar 11, 2009 4:48 PM

Kjakings

Re: What is Cynder's true element and, by extension, true colour?

The Chronicler said "abilities MOST un-natural", I believe. So, assuming the general stereotype of TLoS that all dragons are good happy creatures who have all found little birds with broken wings while prancing through the forest blah blah blah we can assume he was talking about poison, darkness, and fear, which some could consider 'un-natural'.

It is my stout opinion that her original colour is a light grey/silver colour because of her wind element. The red on her signifies fear, the what used to be black darkness, and all those dangerous and needle-like horns representing poison, that only leaves wind, which was probably repressed by Malefor as being 'too good' and was awakened by her complete cut-off from Malefor until the very end of DotD and her exposure to Spyro.

But, if her scales went purple due to her purple-dragon exposure, does that mean she can also learn any elements?

Was she an experiment by Malefor, as well as his salvation, to try and create a false purple dragon to be used for evil?

She does have fire-breath in the home console versions of ANB in her fights, and in the handhelds she has fire, ice, earth and some psyche ball thing.

Therefore, does that mean that she can learn any element as she gets older, just as Spyro can?

Can she manipulate time, too?

Does that mean any children she bears will also have this ability, creating a new breed of dragon and making the 'unique' abilities of the purple dragons NOT so unique?

I just raised more questions than I answered! YAAAAAY!

#3 Mar 11, 2009 5:32 PM

drexawn

I never picked up on some of these things...

I would have to say I agrea that her original element was wind, and I can't despute the elements that she used when she evil and facing Spyro in ANB. I do have one thought and that is that she was a purple dragon just like Spyro in the beginning, because the chronicler, I think, states in TEN that Malefor mastered fire even though he wasn't a fire dragon. So anyway it makes since to me that she could be both a wind and a purple dragon. It also makes sense that she would be the one that Gaul goes after when Ignitus doesn't really get followed when he runs off with Spyro's egg.

If she was a purple dragon then she should be able to master any element, but now I wonder, can Spyro have poison, wind, fear, or shadow breath attacks?

"May the ancestors watch over you, may they watch over us all."

~ Ignitus

#4 Mar 11, 2009 5:36 PM

Fresh blood

The problem with that is that it's stated that there's only one purple dragon born every ten generations so Cynder can't be a purple dragon. But I do think Spyro can master fear, poison and shadow, they are breath elements after all.

And I agree with Kjakings on Cynder's colour, I reckon Cynder was either a grey or white dragon originally and wind was her element.

#5 Mar 11, 2009 5:56 PM

Kjakings

Yes, but you totally ignored by experiment theory! D:

XD

And all my other unhelpful questions! tongue

#6 Mar 11, 2009 6:01 PM

Fresh blood

Well unlike the one I started about marshmallows this thread doesnt exist to debate on, it's just a place to put your opinions. So your theory is right as far as you're concerned and everyone elses is right because we can't prove anything, unless of course the theory is absolutely useless, like she found a box of markers and coloured herself in.
And your unhelpful questions are really just unhelpful lol but that's up to you to answer them, I'm not disputing anything unless it's canonically wrong.

#7 Mar 11, 2009 6:32 PM

drexawn

to kjakings:

Sorry I didn't mean to skip over your questions. I just got carried away, as for your experiment theory, I'd believe it.

~ Ignitus

#8 Mar 11, 2009 8:55 PM

Kjakings

Not you drexawn, I was talking to Fresh. big_smile

I'd never talk like that to someone who didn't ALREADY loathe me tongue (:)

#9 Mar 11, 2009 8:58 PM

Fresh blood

Hey, I don't loath you, trust me, there's far worse people that deserve to be loathed by me and you definately aren't one of them.

#10 Mar 11, 2009 10:59 PM

drexawn

whoops I didn't see Fresh blood's post my bad, Ok then I should say to Fresh blood, ... thanks for pointing that out, I forgot their saying that, and yes if she was wind element then she would probably be a grey but I don't think white, probably a greyish blue if I was to guess.

~ Ignitus

#11 Mar 12, 2009 7:20 AM

Jackson117

Im going to go with her being a shadow dragon.

I also think if spyro wasn't a purple dragon he would be a fire dragon (great now whats the difference between him and flame XD)

seeming he breathed fire in the originals.

I wonder what ember would be lol bubble dragon

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#12 Mar 12, 2009 12:30 PM

drexawn

I woudl say you're probably right about Spyro, I could see Ember being a bubble dragon too lol

~ Ignitus

#13 Mar 12, 2009 11:39 PM

Razz
Website

Oiy. I'll say it again.

Of the powers in Cynder's arsenal, only one is an actual element: wind. The other three (fear, poison, shadow) are not elements but just dark powers she acquired from the DM and her lifetime of living in his shadow. The Chronicler confirms that this is why she has extra powers, in fact.

So, Cynder is a wind dragon. In the three games, she's shown three different colors depending on where we see her.

ANB
Black in the cutscenes. Dusky gray in her concept art and in-game model.

TEN
Blue-gray in her official concept art. Dusky gray in her cutscenes and in-game model.

DotD
Varying shades of a deep, iridescent blue in all models and art.

Given that she is a wind dragon and that her egg in ANB was seen to be a dusky, stormcloud gray and that the most common color we see her with is that same dark gray, that is the color I think she is naturally. She's probably darker than she would have been had she not been raised by the DM's forces.

#14 Mar 13, 2009 4:56 PM

Kjakings

We apologise for not running around searching for every post the almighty Razz has made, we humbly apologise almighty lord.

#15 Mar 13, 2009 9:45 PM

Jackson117

Grey or white cynder???

Thats just 0_O

really white dragons or grey dragons don't really look good.

I would prefer if cynder was just black or her purple design.

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#16 Mar 14, 2009 12:48 AM

drexawn

Actually I got thinking, the elders each represent and element and their colors reflect the colors given on Spyro's elements symbols. So if you go by the wind element symbol she'd be a light greyish blue. Of course that certainly don't make much sense, since she isn't lightly colored in any of the games, lol

~ Ignitus

#17 Mar 15, 2009 1:17 PM

Blaze the Dragon

Or, due to the fact that wind is typically attributed to the sky, she could have been a sky blue, as opposed to an ice blue/periwinkle, whatever shade of blue ice dragons (or Ignitus as the Chronicler... ugh, I seriously don't agree with the fact that they changed his color) would typically be. That's just my theory, that wind dragons could be anywhere between a white or grey contrast, to a sky blue color.

#18 Mar 15, 2009 1:55 PM

Kjakings

Or she could've been a stillborn egg and they wouldn't've known until she didn't hatch, and Malefor's magic twisted her beyond total comprehension with normal dragon specie elements, because dragon embyos don't develope 'elements' until later on in the egg, and since she was born stillborn she never had the CHANCE?

#19 Mar 15, 2009 2:09 PM

Aceedwin

Or perhaps wind isn't a natural element. I mean, I'm pretty sure at one point in ANB it was revealed Cynder was a special dragon, who's main power was the ability to trap and release dragons like Malefor, who were imprisoned.

#20 Mar 15, 2009 3:24 PM

drexawn

Um not quite, it was actually any dragon born during the year of the dragon who could release Malefor, so technically, even Spyro could. Although I'd have to say that I might agree with the idea that wind isn't a natural element that dragons are born with.

~ Ignitus

#21 Mar 15, 2009 3:27 PM

Fresh blood

It would be difficult to imagine that Fire, Earth, Electricity and Ice are the only four elements especially when you consider the original Spyro had a number of different breaths and that there are numerous other elements such as wind and water.

#22 Mar 15, 2009 3:29 PM

Spyro Master

but water could come into being with ice, as ice is still water.

#23 Mar 15, 2009 3:29 PM

drexawn

True, I just don't know if I'd count wind as one, although I guess it makes more sense then bubbles being one, lol

~ Ignitus

#24 Mar 15, 2009 3:31 PM

Fresh blood

Well then as Ice isn't technically an element you would expect Spyro to have a water element instead of an Ice element and have ice as a secondary function. And wind is a viable element, after all they breathe air so you could expect wind to just be a powerful expel of air.

#25 Mar 15, 2009 3:33 PM

Spyro Master

I just had a thought for the wind element but i wont say it XD its just childish.

Board footer