Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct 06, 2013 2:37 PM

Scarlett-Fear-Dragon
Gems: 0

Do you think real Spyro will ever come back?

I have to admit, when the developers of LoS said they were making a new Spyro game that was closer in nature to the classics, I was hopeful. Then they brought out the monstrosity they call Skylanders (Spyro is ugly and you cant even jump) and now the chances of Spyro ever getting good again seem pretty slim because Skylanders has raked in so much cash from overpriced 'toys' and merchandise.

To be honest I'm pretty annoyed that they've created an entirely new franchise and slapped Spyro's name on it for some extra bucks from fans, because now we're left uncertain about what happens next. Sonic and Mario are still alive - will Spyro still be here in a few years? Or will he die out like Crash? Will they carry on making Skylanders games and, if not, will we return to classic Spyro or LoS? They can't do another reboot, surely...

If there was an opportunity to return to old Spyro, what would you rather see? Classic or Legend?

I'd rather see Classic myself - they left the series on a cliffhanger with Shadow Legacy, which is really annoying...

Donate gems to me, biatch, and I give you cuddles.

#2 Oct 08, 2013 1:45 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

Re: Do you think real Spyro will ever come back?

i'd want whatever the majority of fans wanted, because i'm not all that concerned because i like both series.

if i had to pick, probably classic. there's more to do, and those games are less linear than TLOS games. i still don't like that ANB and TEN don't have level select. and that you can't explore all that much.

#3 Oct 14, 2013 8:10 PM

Rurikredwolf
Birthday: 14 October
Website

Highly doubt it.

Also, the Crash co-creator wants to do a reboot so Spyro may be hitting that button again.

#4 Oct 14, 2013 8:13 PM

RedDragonX
Website

#5 Oct 14, 2013 8:44 PM

Rurikredwolf
Website

#6 Oct 15, 2013 9:57 PM

RedDragonX
Website

#7 Oct 15, 2013 11:42 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

There are already a lot of threads like this, so I'll just say what I've said before... probably no, and what is "real Spyro" supposed to be, anyway?

Every Spyro game past the originals has been called "not really Spyro" at one point or another, particularly TLoS, which bears virtually no similarity to any of the games that came before it. It's just funny - people who liked TLoS  are now complaining about Skylanders drastically changing the series when at one point TLoS did exactly that and they didn't have a problem.

So what exactly makes LoS "real Spyro" and Skylanders not? Is it the main character thing? Because TLoS is "good" and Skylanders is "bad"?

#8 Oct 16, 2013 4:28 PM

RedDragonX
Website

It's all based on the perspective of the gamers themselves of course. Each generation of Spyro that has been released really made no effort to cater to the gamers of the previous generations. The first generation of games by Insomniac really developed a large following of platform and exploration gamers that loved the environments and humor that mixed well with its purpose.

Once LoS was released they were attempting to lure in new gamers while not bother to make elements that would help those from before return to the series. Instead of being a platform based collectors game based on exploration it was simply linear hack and slash elements to reach a given point to continue the story that they had developed. While I don't mind this system at all if you are going to do it you have to put large emphasis and creativity behind both the battle system and the story itself and LoS was a bit lacking in that department. Either way both generations cater to different kind of gamers.

Then you have Skylanders which honestly would have been developed whether or not Spyro was involved or not. The only reason they used Spyro was because the character was hanging out there with nobody really interested in using it and it brought brand recognition. Either way it worked due to Skylanders success and it's pretty obvious as they continued the series they are getting further and further away from Spyro in general, he just happens to be the character they were able to launch the franchise from.

Either way all three generations were different and not meant to attract the same kind of gamers, hence why everyone has their own idea of what exactly Spyro is to them.

#9 Oct 16, 2013 7:13 PM

Rurikredwolf
Website

I highly doubt that Spyro will make a return. If he does, then he needs to really make a *bleep* good impression. Frankly, the sales for the LoS series were *bleep* compared to others, but Skylanders skyrocketted. So they may just can Spyro in favor of Skylanders.

Ohwaittheydid.

#10 Jan 07, 2014 2:26 AM

Giganoto

It seems like the creators of skylanders are edging spyro out more and more every game. Of course what I would hope for is a game company who would want to go back to spyro's roots and buy spyro off of activision, but that's probably not going to happen. Then again, who the heck knows....

''SPACESHIP!''

#11 Feb 02, 2014 3:43 AM

Spyro&CynderForever999

I would like to see a mix of both Classic and Legend. Like, how after Spyro and Cynder survive, they find Sparx, Hunter, and the elder Dragons, and later on, they find that there was another group of Dragons, who were still in hiding or something. And, another Dark Force is set to come again.

Either way, if it only has Spyro and Cynder as playable characters, and they're in love (PLEASE!), then I'll b good. Skylanders is really annoying me, and it's not for those who grew up with Spyro.

People who grew up with Sonic and Mario are still good, in ways, but those who love Spyro and Crash are just playing the old games again. I've must've played my favourite, The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, countless times now. And when I play the last level, and watch the ending. I cry for 3 reasons.
1. IT'S A BEAUTIFUL ENDING!
2. The Song just made me cry. It's been my favourite ever since!
3. Because it's the last brilliant Spyro Game! (Last actual "Spyro" game for that matter).

So I would love to see Spyro and Cynder back the way they were in The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, and Crash Bandicoot cause he's just funny!

OH, And I am also mad at Activision for another thing. THEY CANCELLED THE SPYRO MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COULDN'T THEY GIVE US ONE LAST THING BRILLIANT BEFORE THEY RUINED THE WHOLE THING?!

Spyro and Cynder Forever! Always in my heart! Same as you Crash Bandicoot!:spyro: sparx

#12 Feb 02, 2014 4:18 AM

Breaking Bad
Gems: 73
Birthday: 20 January

I think she just proved the point of everyone above ^

#13 Feb 02, 2014 6:57 AM

Flapjacks
Birthday: 5 October

Now I love LoS as much as the next guy... However, he also hates it.

HOHOH DAS RICH

#14 Feb 02, 2014 6:52 PM

Giganoto

Lol

I don't hate LoS. I thought a new beginning was cool. After that.....eh....
Just my opinion though, i know a lot of people love LoS so...would it be unfair not to include elements from both classic and LoS in a new spyro game?

''SPACESHIP!''

#15 Feb 07, 2014 1:58 AM

Rurikredwolf
Website

I enjoyed how she used Brilliant and DotD in the same sentance.

I lulled

#16 Feb 07, 2014 2:15 AM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

I'd like to see a continuation of both the original StD series and the TLoS series.

I enjoyed both thoroughly.

#17 Feb 07, 2014 3:09 AM

Flapjacks
Birthday: 5 October

I have a feeling that any continuation, made by the original devs or not, would still disappoint us. Games have changed, along with their developers, since then. The games would likely not have the same feel, try to add new, unnecessary elements, and probably have an overall different style.

#18 Feb 07, 2014 4:06 AM

RangerOfIthilien
Gems: -495
Birthday: 30 March

I agree. It's best to let good things be as they are sometimes

Chessmaster
Level 67

#19 Feb 07, 2014 11:38 PM

Giganoto

Yeah, I suppose that's right. Still, if they announced they were going to do a classic spyro again I'm sure a large majority of us would still be uber excited xD

''SPACESHIP!''

#20 Feb 08, 2014 3:35 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

i don't have any systems on which they'd actually release it. sad the newest system i have is a PS2.

#21 Feb 08, 2014 3:46 AM

Giganoto

I have a wii u. Not that they'd release it on wii u, they probably wouldn't...i dont know xD

''SPACESHIP!''

#22 Mar 10, 2014 3:14 AM

Mr. John
Gems: -2,720

I doubt he's ever going to come back. I love em to death. But for now Skylanders will carry his name. If there's another Spyro after this he will be another incarnation, and it will be a different series.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#23 Mar 10, 2014 6:44 AM

Swaffy
Gems: 218

* sigh *

I can only hope. But hope only goes so far...

#24 Mar 24, 2014 12:23 AM

Arenvir 98

Initial post content was posted in the wrong thread... Sorry.

On topic, most games only last so long before they start needing good, fresh ideas, and the LoS series, the first reboot, was honestly a bit of a botched job. The producers themselves stated, according to our wiki, that they never had a solid idea for anything past ANB.  Skylanders gave Spyro a decent shot at a community following large enough to ask for a standalone Spyro game, but it's Activision's series, now. So, we read our fanfics, replay our games, and wait for the best.  Ultimately, it's just a matter of the right developer getting the game project with the right budget and the right timeframe. I'm optimistic something good will come of what Activision's done, sometime.  Still wish they kept with a primary focus on storytelling and overall plot depth. While most people don't care, that's what makes games meaningful and memorable  (The Last of Us, The Walking Dead, Spec Ops: The Line, etc, etc...)

Last edited by Arenvir 98 (Mar 24, 2014 12:30 AM)

"We do not inherit this world from our forbears, we borrow it from our children"  - Unknown

"The true test of an innovator is not to make the incomprehensible understood, but to bring that understanding to the lives of the laymen"  - Me

#25 Apr 26, 2014 11:00 PM

Sparx001

Personally, I love the classics just because i spent most of my childhood playing them and they bring back many good memories. However. I really like the whole concept of being able to fly whenever, wherever. As for skylanders, I don't have a huge problem with the design of spyro, we just have to be thankful that spyro was actually used in the game, idk about everyone else but I'm happy having a weird looking spyro than no spyro at all! But as for the rest of the skylanders? I really don't bother. The only ones ive been collecting are ones that a relevant to the spyro games themselves. Sparx is a little disappointing in skylaners in the way that he only lasts a certain amount of time. I wish activision could sort something out with that sparx

Board footer