Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#26 Jul 05, 2011 6:27 PM

Shiruba
Gems: 0

Re: To trust or not to trust

If you played Portal Prelude Glados was corrupted by a personality sphere and goes insane an begins to murder all the scientists. Dye to part of her programming she is forced to test and comes across Chell and begins what she is designed to do but with her own way of doing things tries to kill Chell in the process. It gives reason for Glados to be how she is. It gives purpose to her actions then just evil intent.

Again I'm not a final fantasy fan but already Sephiroth sounds mire interesting then Malefor ever was. I understand your like for villains just being evil. I just like more realistic villains because it can create deeper plot lines, you may be able to connect to the antagonist too. I have just found it boring for villains to be evil just for the sake of being evil. Even when vilaiins want power at least that's a reason(an overused one at that) it's just look at the most villainous men of history. They never said they were doing evil. Like Adolf Hitler he brainwashed the masses and has become known as one of the most evil men but he told his people they were doing the GOOD for Germany.

Like what Jazz wrote I love what DeathNote did because they created an antagonist(well protagonist since he's the main character) that believed he did good and to me that's far more complex then just being evil. To me that's just a step backward but it's what you like. In the end I just want a great Spyro game, a unique one. Not one that even struggles with it's plot.

#27 Jul 05, 2011 7:25 PM

Aceedwin

Yeah, her AI was messed up, that was what I was getting at. I suppose you could compare that to brain damage. Just out of curiosity, do you think brain damage is a justification for acts of malevolence?

I don't know, if they'd actually expanded on Malefor a little more (perhaps a trawl through his past in a playable level, a la assassin's creed), his motivation could have at least been interesting. Instead, it was "Oh hi, I'm the final boss. I think apocalypse is our destiny. Now, time to screw with Cynder for teh lulz." It didn't help that I couldn't understand a word the guy said. I had to do the scene again with subtitles on, which rather ruined the moment.

They did more than create a knight templar antagonist with Raito. It's actually very difficult to say that he is the morally corrupted person. The fans are divided on who they support in the war of law versus the common good. Can we even class Raito as a villain? I don't think so.

#28 Jul 05, 2011 8:52 PM

Shiruba

Putting it that way, yes Glados has brain damage and it is an interesting plot device. Now in reality, I'm on the border for that. I don't believe it's right for a handicapped person who doesn't clearly understand murder(not an idiot who is just using this to get out of jail) to be sentenced to prison. Again, I'm worried that they might do it again because this Sometimes happens out of intense anger they don't know how to control. In the end I'm not sure. The right thing is obviously to keep an eye on this person. To prevent this from doing this again. I'll say I'm stuck. What's your view on it?

Now that's exactly what I wished they did with Malefor. Great characters create great stories. It's how I see it. If you have a perfect hero vs a villain jus obsessed with being evil and too stupid to even be a real threat. I'm just tired of those silly fantasy endings with the perfect guy saving the perfect girl who always gets kidnapped and can't fend for herself. I just find that tiresome. I do realize that some people use fiction to escape their everyday lives. It's just fir me I want to connect to a character that's more realistic and less boring and predictable then all this crud their giving us.

Spoiler

When Sephiroth killed Aeris or when you realized in Zelda what the sages had to do. It wasn't like the cliche norm we've always seen. It became a classic for what they did. It became different. Not saying a good story has to had a character die.

We can classify Light as a villain because he kills people. Sorry if I misunderstood but weren't you for life I'm the other topic? They show it barely but people are celebrating the criminals death. Misa loves what Light's doing. I would personally be for Kira if he ever existed. Even if it is by fear criminal activity would drop and that would be good for the common man. That would benefit the good and immediately everyone would begin to watch their actions. I'm not saying I'm a saint but I detest criminals. Instead of taking advantage of their life they waste it. It's saddening to me that anyone can change the world and only a handful do.

#29 Jul 06, 2011 8:14 AM

Jackson117

Which is why doing OC's is a hard task....going back and fourth and back and fourth

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#30 Jul 06, 2011 10:51 AM

Aceedwin

I think that people have to take responsibility for themselves as long as they are able. I think Glados was capable of restraining herself, as she showed us at the end of the second game, so she still had to take responsibility for her actions. If somebody is unable to take responsibility, then they have to be restrained and monitored by others. I once read a blog by this person who had DID, which means she had several personalities that used her body at different times. One of the things that stood out to me was that the person refused to use it as an excuse. When another persona did something wrong, she took responsibility for it.

Nobody wants to hear a story they've heard a thousand times (except small children. I must have watched the Lion King about two hundred times when I was three), so I can't argue with that. I'm just saying that utterly evil characters can be fun characters too. Writers don't create properly evil characters as much as they should.

I didn't say I support Kira, just that I understand that it is a contentious issue. Also, I wasn't for life in the other topic, I was anti-justice. Kira both prevented criminals from striking again and deterred others, both of which I consider good justifications for action. I still disagree with what he does, but that's another discussion.

#31 Jul 06, 2011 1:07 PM

Jackson117

Scar was literally had a crap childhood, in the musical there is a song where it literally explains that Scar was batty a long time ago and had a interest as a full grown adult sexually for cub nala.

Statement: Love is what you get when you lock a target in your sights and watch as the targeting alines and the blaster

#32 Sep 24, 2011 4:32 PM

chompyzilla

i know all of you are hating on Malafor cause he had no real intentions and such and are stating other villains that he should be more like but i ask you: was he really evil? he might seem that way due to everyone calling him the dark master and the whole destroying the world thing but that was so the world could have a fresh start not just to destroy it

now what should i write for my signature it could be something spyro related as to do with this website but i cant think of anything i could also say something about myself but if i did that would you still be here?

Board footer