Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 May 02, 2018 3:54 AM

Aquila King
Gems: 812

How Would You Feel About Sequels After The Reignited Trilogy?

Just throwing this out there as a complete shot in the dark, but how would you feel about totally brand spanking new Spyro games in the style of the Reignited Trilogy (and therefore the originals)?

I know the Reignited trilogy is still a long ways off from now. But given the recent trend in 3D 'Collectathon' Platformers returning to popularity, I wonder if the original Spyro franchise could be kick started once again?

#2 May 02, 2018 8:09 AM

FuturisticEggThief
Gems: 493

Re: How Would You Feel About Sequels After The Reignited Trilogy?

I want to see how the reignited trilogy plays before I say my opinion.

#3 May 02, 2018 9:30 PM

raindrop717
Gems: 306

If the Reignited Trilogy does well, I would love them to continue the franchise. But it all depends on how well the remake goes. Assuming it is successful, creating future games will be a daunting task indeed, possibly more so than the remake. So many fans to try to please. I don't envy them at all, lol. But I'm rooting for them.

#4 May 03, 2018 1:41 AM

Spyrofriend
Gems: 147

i would love a new game series after Reignited frankly. Skylanders has always imo, been its own thing.

#5 May 03, 2018 1:55 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

i ........... don't know. it'd depend on various things.

like if you've only played Spyro for a short time, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between, say, YOTD and AHT. they both have similar enough game mechanics. but when you actually play both for any length of time, the differences become clear - fast. so in theory, of course i'd absolutely love to have more classic games, but i just... don't know if a company is really up to the task of trying to emulate Insomniac? Check Six (the ETD people) did an AWESOME job working with Insomniac's formula in the early 2000s. if it weren't for the glitches / rushed release date, that would play almost exactly like a classic game. ... but after all this time? it's possible. i mean, look at some of the games in the "Fan Game Development" section, they're almost exactly like the classic games. but with big companies, it's ... eh, maybe i'm just pessimistic. i'm open to the idea, i'll definitely say that much smile

Last edited by 36IStillLikeSpyro36 (May 03, 2018 1:56 AM)

#6 May 03, 2018 2:25 AM

Mr. John
Gems: -2,720

Wouldn't mind one but, it depends on how Spyro: Reignited Trilogy does first, and the fan reception but sure sequel would be good.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#7 May 04, 2018 12:06 AM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

Ok, unpopular opinion here.

Here's what I want.  I want a multiplayer dragon game based around Spyro.  I know a lot of people do not like this kind of idea, but I think it would be really cool.  Doesn't have to be MMO-esque, just multiplayer instanced like journey or dark souls where the world feels lived in and populated, but co-operative play is optional.  Imagine character creation, being able to RP a little your own dragon character in the same world.  It would be very ambitious, but it would be cool.

I wouldn't mind if they decided to just continue the easy remaster cash grab and redo Enter the Dragonfly.  But after that, I would really like new games.  Perferably games that are faithful to the old trilogy style or something new.  I liked LoS, but I don't want them to come back to that.  Skylanders Spyro?   Eh...  everyone would hate a Spyro game based on Skylands Spyro, but if the game is fun and doesnt require buying 60 different $10 toys every 12 months, then I'm open-minded.

#8 May 04, 2018 12:48 AM

Aquila King

#9 May 10, 2018 10:38 PM

Aquila King

#10 May 10, 2018 11:13 PM

riverhippo

yeah i watched that video on Wednesday and I gotta say, its hard to argue against that strategy.  Usually what happens is Activision executes their plan and all realize it was pretty obvious what was going to happen.  When Activision does something, they do it hard.  What's that?  Skylanders Spyro's Adventure made lots of money?  LETS MAKE MORE FOREVER (or until they stop selling as well).  So like, hate it, rub some mustard on it, Spyro will most likely get a new game 2020-2022.

#11 May 11, 2018 12:38 AM

Aquila King

#12 May 14, 2018 1:15 AM

GnastyPlant
Gems: 80

it would be nice if they make a whole new spyro 4 or at least remaster Enter the Dragonfly, remove all the bad bugs take  their time making/remaking it and even throw in the things that were originally cancelled like Gnasty teaming with Ripto..and perhaps make spyro 5, 6, maybe up to 10.  ripto

"Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes and dragon eating plants."
Gnorc is love... Gnorc is life

#13 May 14, 2018 2:06 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#14 May 14, 2018 1:53 PM

Stormy
Administrator
Award: Admin
Gems: 540
Birthday: 3 April
Website

I'd never say no to more 3D platformers. I don't know why they ever fell out of favor; there's so much you can do with them compared to Generic War Shooter XXVIII. Part of the reason I've been pretty uninterested in gaming for the last, like, 10 years is that there haven't really been any platformers, or when one does come out, it's 2D, which I also don't really care for.

#15 May 14, 2018 6:34 PM

Aquila King

#16 May 15, 2018 6:11 PM

Mr. John
Gems: -2,720

Wouldn't be opposed to this idea le's see how it goes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Cayla Mills

#17 May 15, 2018 6:46 PM

riverhippo

The problem with 3D platformers isn't that developers and gaming industries 'don't get it' that addictive platformers can be profitable.  I think they just see it as a much higher risk of making profit.  Yooka-Laylee is actually an unfortunate proof of this, as even though it was backed by anons and platformer lovers, the game itself received mixed to average reviews, rendering it a hard sell to non-backers.  As a lover of 3D platformers, I saw YL as an embarrassment rather than a proof of concept that new platformers can be good.  In order for developers to gain confidence in making new platformers, they have to make sure they can sell a game people outside of the people already wanting it in order to get traction.  It's all about the buck, and not being able to guarantee millions of copies sold like you can with FPS games, means that a company like Activision just isn't taking the risk, until now of course.  I think the idea here is to throw a lay-up with the remasters, see what sticks, and develop a new game to follow up.  The moment the game gets average reception, I think they will pull away from it again.

Last edited by riverhippo (May 15, 2018 6:47 PM)

Board footer