Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan 12, 2018 12:11 AM

Event Horizon
Gems: 0

Just bought this game again...

It's been years, and I decided to buy an Xbox and get this game again. It's such a delight! The graphics are pretty, and I love the combat system. Wish you could do more with it, but hey! Hours into the game and I'm still learning new techniques I didn't know existed.

Been playing with a friend. We complain about the 'fly anywhere' mechanic being a lie. There's invisible walls everywhere and places which would be easily accessible if you could... uhh... fly anywhere. The dragon elders wouldn't even fly over the tsunami or the door in their respective cutscenes. I think they know that the invisible walls and flight paths will just push them down if they try.

On a serious note, I wonder if flying was implemented mid to late stage development. A lot of areas look like they were designed for gliding.

Anyway, love this game. Anyone else still playing it?

Last edited by Event Horizon (Jan 12, 2018 12:12 AM)

#2 Jan 13, 2018 6:01 AM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

Re: Just bought this game again...

I only ever played it once or twice in co-op and we both despised the arbitrary flying limitation that you referenced, and it just kind of looked bad on PS2 with the amount of bloom lighting. But glad you're enjoying it tongue

#3 Jan 13, 2018 6:49 PM

Event Horizon

Last edited by Event Horizon (Jan 13, 2018 6:52 PM)

#4 Jan 13, 2018 7:52 PM

Gekoncze
Baby Dragon
Award: Speedway Contest Winner Final
Gems: 145

The flying mechanics felt more like a hovercraft tongue I think including the flying was very unfortunate "feature". There were more issues, where they tried to mechanically combine strange stuffs that didn't fit together, like the part with the burning house... Still I enjoyed the game, though I had noone to play with. Also, compared to the previous games it felt like a completely different game.

Except graphics, another positive I find is the music. It was still perfect just like in previous games in the trilogy.

Last edited by Gekoncze (Jan 13, 2018 7:55 PM)

#5 Jan 14, 2018 2:50 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#6 Jan 14, 2018 5:24 AM

Twingo
Gems: -1,618
Birthday: 23 May

Man, it's been so long since I've played DotD. I used to love just flying around in the valley of Avalar enjoying the scenery and music. The soundtrack was top notch. I can still hear bits and pieces of it in my head even after all these years smile

#7 Jan 15, 2018 6:17 PM

Event Horizon

Very slow flight, didn't feel right, especially that landing. I swear, it's because the characters know about those flight paths. =o
Still love this game. Graphics and soundtrack were great.

Board footer