Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb 16, 2017 4:42 PM

LytaneVS
Gems: 0

Is Spyro the Dragon on PS1 Worth it?

When not running around the dragon realms I like to post some videos onto Youtube!
Just look up LytaneVS and you'll find me smile

#2 Feb 16, 2017 5:06 PM

Nobololol

Re: Is Spyro the Dragon on PS1 Worth it?

Well the first game is the weakest of the trilogy in my opinion. The controls weren't as good as in Spyro 2 and 3 (for example charging and turning at the same time felt sloppy idk how to explain). Also the boss fights were quite boring in Spyro 1. But I still like the level designs and how the game looks.

Would I play this game nowadays? I actually did play it but didn't go past Peace Keepers world though. But I'd say it's still worth it for the nostalgia and if you're a fan of Spyro and haven't played it.

#3 Feb 16, 2017 6:30 PM

supercoupe91
Gems: 271
Birthday: 18 July

Well this is my favorite game of all time so I'm going to be biased lol. I personally think the game holds up quite well for being 19 years old. The gameplay is quite simple and straightforward which I like. I don't mind the lack of special missions since the level design is good enough to keep me interested alone. The controls aren't quite as tight as the sequels but are still very good. The game just has a certain charm to it that the sequels don't match. Maybe its due to it taking place in the dragon worlds and its medieval theme. I also think the soundtrack is excellent and easily trumps the sequels. I agree the bosses are very weak but I like the fact that they each get their own level to play through. I will admit that Spyro 2 is a better game though but this one is still my favorite and equally as good as Spyro 3.

"Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes."

#4 Feb 16, 2017 10:10 PM

Attackfrog277

Good review. I of course would be inclined to disagree as I found Spyro 3 to be the weakest of the trilogy. I've encountered worse cameras from newer 3rd person games, and boss battles have never really been remarkable in 3D collectathon platformers, though Metalhead was actually fairly difficult even on repeated playthroughs. Spyro the Dragon, I feel perfected alot of what other 3D platformers of the time didn't. The controls were tight (you can hit the square button at the end of a glide to get extra boost almost like the flutter ability in the sequels), levels were inventative and well designed, music was memorable, catchy and most importantly atmospheric, characters and story were entertaining if merely serving as a framing device and the sense of accomplishment when you beat a world or a level is unmatched, especially when gems are difficult to find (mainly on first playthrough). I personally never grew up with this game only first playing it a couple years back but I really have to hand it to Insomniac. They were ahead of their time and made of the best aged platformers of the 5th gen.

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Feb 16, 2017 10:14 PM)

#5 Feb 17, 2017 2:31 AM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Birthday: 1 November

I love Spyro 1 and I'm very glad I own it.

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

#6 Feb 18, 2017 12:18 PM

LytaneVS

When not running around the dragon realms I like to post some videos onto Youtube!

#7 Feb 18, 2017 3:34 PM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

Pretty much agree with everything supercoupe91 said. It's still one of my favorite games of all time and my favorite of the series. I just enjoy the music and atmosphere of Spyro 1 the best, despite it probably being technically the weakest.

Bosses were never the focus of the game, it was just about well-designed and inventive levels, which this game had in spades. I pretty much play it at least once a year and still enjoy it every time.

Welcome to the forum, btw smile

#8 Feb 18, 2017 7:41 PM

Flapjacks
Birthday: 5 October

Spyro 1 seems like a direct downgrade from the other two, but I would describe it as just being more focused. Spyro 1, you can tell they put a lot of thought into the levels, and wanted each one to be unique. Spyro 2 and 3 had great levels, too, but I feel like none of them are quite as iconic as the ones from Spyro 1. Spyro 1 had a lot of nice gameplay setpieces for you to mess with, and it was interesting to find all of the stuff in each level (except haunted towers i hate haunted towers)

#9 Feb 19, 2017 9:13 AM

supercoupe91
Gems: 271
Birthday: 18 July

Last edited by supercoupe91 (Feb 22, 2017 8:45 AM)

"Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes."

#10 Feb 21, 2017 3:46 AM

Paranoia
Award: contest mod
Gems: 136
Birthday: 6 February
Website

Lol you seem to echo all of my thoughts on this topic. I never had camera issues either, especially compared to the other N64 platformers of the era like you said. Mario 64 was horrendous for me because I was so used to the camera from Spyro.  I really do like when the songs in a game iterate off of a main theme like Spyro 1 does too (though I forget the word for this). Super Mario Sunshine did this as well with the tropical Delfino Plaza tune across different levels, which I thought was great.

I can definitely appreciate the updates the later games made in character development and movement though. I liked the jumpcharge in the later games in particular since it let you keep your charge momentum before gliding. And hovering led to some more interesting versatility.

Despite that, when I go and play the games again, I enjoy the first game the most for its originality, design, and music. Like Flapjacks said, every level felt very iconic. All 3 games are great of course, I just appreciate 1 the most

Last edited by Paranoia (Feb 21, 2017 4:06 AM)

#11 Mar 03, 2017 12:04 AM

LytaneVS

I am really surprised that you Supercoupe91 and you Paranoia never had any issues with the camera. Haunted Towers is a great example of fighting the camera when you are trying to do the charge run to get to the secret island or Dark Passage with it's many enemies that are off screen but still manage to get in and hit you with either their projectile or when they rush at you. I agree though that the camera in Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie is a little hard to control and you have to fight with it as well and they haven't aged as well as they should. But in those games you do have more control over the camera which is good, being able to turn it and to zoom in and out.

Also Supercoupe91 I know that all of the intended glides in Spyro 1 can be made without the flutter because they are designed that way but there is little room for error in a lot of those jumps. If you don't get the right height or the right speed you will miss that platform by a few pixels and thus will fall to most likely your death. In Jaques level there is a small platform that you have to glide to over the lava that is so hard to hit. Having that flutter is a saving grace so if you didn't take the glide 100% perfect you can save yourself from death. It is something I really wish was in Spyro 1.

And I mostly agree that Spyro 1 had more memorable levels, Spyro 2 had more memorable characters.

#12 Mar 03, 2017 2:54 AM

EricChristianOlsenFanatic
Birthday: 1 November

Spyro 1 and 2 are both fantastic games.

I have changed my username from Justin Long Fanatic to EricChristianOlsenFanatic, so Justin Long Fanatic is my old name on this site, and EricChristianOlsenFanatic is my new one.

#13 Mar 25, 2017 7:27 PM

Attackfrog277

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Mar 25, 2017 7:30 PM)

#14 Apr 03, 2017 11:21 AM

PossessedStatue
Gems: 45
Website

Always worth it. Modern games don't hold a candle to these... or anything else for that matter.

Board footer