Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct 24, 2014 9:57 PM

Attackfrog277
Gems: 0

Cutscenes pre-redered?

I was just having some technical curiosities about the original trilogy. Like what framerate the games run at or weather the cutscenes are pre-rendered or real time on the PS1(cut-scene Spyro has a different model from his in game counterpart). Is there any more interesting tidbits about the development of the insomniac trilogy that we don't know yet, like what engine they used?

Last edited by Attackfrog277 (Oct 24, 2014 10:00 PM)

#2 Oct 25, 2014 5:08 AM

Flapjacks
Birthday: 5 October

Re: Cutscenes pre-redered?

I highly doubt it's prerendered. It looks very much like it's rendered in-game, and considering that, it would be a very poor design choice to render a cutscene in-game, then have it play, sacrificing graphical fidelity and making the graphics inconsistent. As for Spyro's model being different, I can say I haven't noticed that before, but I can say that it's a common practice to have cutscene models be of a higher quality than in-game, because with cutscenes, they can limit things due to the player not being in control, whereas in gameplay, the player could run into more intensive areas, and lowering/limiting the models in gameplay as a whole avoids this and is much easier than implementing a system that lowers graphical fidelity on your player model when in certain areas, and also avoids inconsistency.

#3 Oct 27, 2014 11:28 PM

CaptainBee

i had a thought that were pre rendered myself, but didnt think so because usually pre rendered cutscenes use nicer graphics (which is usually why they were pre rendered)
but how is spyro's cutscene model different than his in game one? is that for all the characters?

#4 Oct 28, 2014 3:04 AM

Flapjacks
Birthday: 5 October

#5 Oct 28, 2014 3:50 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

Board footer