Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr 20, 2014 6:22 AM

Arenvir 98
Gems: 0

Advancements- Post LoS oneshot

The Usual Disclaimer goes HERE

This is the seventh time I've rewritten this. The original idea wasn't working out, so I decided to step back and try something simpler.

Also, first time writing third person

Month 7, Year 4 AM

The city of Warfang was a convoluted affair. Civilian structures stood side-by-side to the military barracks and factories. Commercial sections peppered the forums throught the large settlement, adding to the air of chaos. The streets were filled with individuals of many races, from the Manwersmalls of Munition's Forge, whose original, volcanic home slid into the sea in the Shattering- an event at the end of the Great War where the world split apart, and miraculously put itself back together- to the great Dragons themselves. Not many remained of the latter race, but there were hidden places throughout the world, so it wasn't too surprising to find refugees hiding amoung the cliffs and valleys in the distance. Many carried scars, either mental or physical, standing testament to the horrors of the near apocolypse suffered by the war's end. Schools and residential districts were overflowing from the sheer number who fled to the city after the Shattering. Amid the chaos, a young dragoness overlooked the plans for a new district, one devoted to the city's industrial and scientific infrastructure, while engaged in a rather familiar argument with a human engineer.

The dragoness flipped to the blueprints to the additions to the sewer network, "You sure it's going to work? The retrofits to the sewers here, and here, are known stress points. I don't think steel bracing is going to help. And are you sure about forming the base layer from concrete?"

Sighing, the bipedal figure responded with a practiced tone, "Actually, it's not steel, it's a metallic composite of tungsten and aluminum. It's not going to burst, I did the math. And I thought I told you it wasn't just bracing for junction delta. It's a maintenance valve system. Beta's the one just getting reinforcement," the youthful engineer pointed out the footnotes crammed into the margins of the diagrams, "Either way, the concrete layer acts as a barrier to keep the local water table from getting affected by the potential chemicals going down there. pH fluctuations here do affect the growth of crops over by the garden yards, as odd as it seems."

Satisfied, the fire dragoness looked back to the rest of the extensive paperwork, "Well, since that's settled, what about powering the sector. You do realize we aren't integrating electric capacitance systems for another few months?"

An eyebrow shot up as the young man fumbled to the 'generator' system documents, pointing out the steam flow system. Contrary to the insinuation, the output was entirely steam, for operation of the various pressure-based mechanical structures, "Ember... We ran over this yesterday, I thought you understood that I swapped from the electronic dynamos to thermal transfer interface. The Council made it very clear that I wasn't going to insert prototypes into the project."

"Just making sure, sweetheart. You do have a tendency to overlook those details."

A blush spread across his face in indignation, "Sweetheart, really?!"

Ember laughed at the verbal protest against her use of the pet name in public. Most people had already assumed there was something romantic between them, but beyond sharing a condo on the north side, their relationship was better characterized with the word 'platonic'. Despite the consistent ribbing.

"Yes, really. But, given your response, is it actually true you might have a thing for me?"

At this, the flustered human quickly made the wise decision to shut up before he got into a verbal tangle with the talented wordsmith. He could dance around most people's heads in his grasp of practical science, but verbal eloquence was best left to Ember.

Over the next few hours, the final drafts for the overall project were finished, the day itself being marked by the meticulous placement of markers for the construction crews to orient themselves around.  The prodigious addition to the city would become it's pride and joy, acting as a beacon of advancement for decades to come.

What few people really acknowledged, is that it was all possible because two dragons sacrificed themselves for the world, in turn inspiring others to step up to the challenge of leaving their own marks on it's fate.

I swear this looked longer in LibreOffice Writer

Last edited by Arenvir 98 (Jul 11, 2014 12:25 AM)

"We do not inherit this world from our forbears, we borrow it from our children"  - Unknown

"The true test of an innovator is not to make the incomprehensible understood, but to bring that understanding to the lives of the laymen"  - Me

#2 May 04, 2014 5:42 AM

Arenvir 98
Gems: 0

Re: Advancements- Post LoS oneshot

Null

Last edited by Arenvir 98 (Jul 10, 2014 11:51 PM)

"We do not inherit this world from our forbears, we borrow it from our children"  - Unknown

"The true test of an innovator is not to make the incomprehensible understood, but to bring that understanding to the lives of the laymen"  - Me

Board footer