Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#51 May 11, 2008 1:23 PM

Doppelgangergang
Banned
Gems: 0

Re: Is Spyro still Spyro no matter what he looks like or what the gameplay is like?

I got to control this.

(PM Sent)

#52 May 11, 2008 1:24 PM

Ayumi_the_Dark_Wolf
Banned
Website

Re: Is Spyro still Spyro no matter what he looks like or what the gameplay is like?

dude....i....dont know what to say..... (v,=,v)

#53 May 11, 2008 1:33 PM

Antr the Rolf
Website

Doppel...what DID you PM dude?

#54 May 11, 2008 1:34 PM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

You should get it now... :s

#55 May 11, 2008 5:48 PM

Dark Fury Dragon

#56 May 11, 2008 5:59 PM

minredd

Well apparently I'm weird.

Lets see. What IS Spyro? A purple dragon who runs around saving the world? Hmm. Doesn't sound like he's changed in general. So there's some new characters and some new moves. So what? Look at Mario, and how much he's changed. But he's still Mario.

Spyro is Spyro and always will be.

#57 May 11, 2008 6:01 PM

Dark Fury Dragon

That's almost like what I said minredd smile Couldn't have said more clear. *hug*

#58 May 11, 2008 6:03 PM

RaidonMakoto
Website

Nope, LoS Spyro isn't Spyro to me. He isn't the Spyro I grew up with on the PS1. Tom Kenny will always be Spyro. Stewart Copeland will always sound like Spyro. Year of the Dragon will still always be the best PS1 and (second) best game ever.

This impostor makes me cry.

#59 May 11, 2008 6:10 PM

Dark Fury Dragon

This Spyro isn't an imposter. It's called, "a different style". He just looks, sounds and acts different that's all. A purple dragon who saves the world? Yes it's a Spyro (just like what minredd said)
A red dragon who carries a gun around shooting people and causing destruction? No, not a Spyro.
How can we not think that Spyro is not Spyro anymore? He's just being carried on by another's person's style and point of view. You guys are just comparing the old ones to the newer ones to much. What if there was no "older" games? Then the new Spyro would be like the "older" games and then when it goes down to another company, then you guys would complain that Spyro is not Spyro with THAT new Spyro.

#60 May 11, 2008 8:22 PM

Sheep
Award: Skateboard Contest Winner
Birthday: 20 January
Website

#61 May 11, 2008 9:51 PM

RaidonMakoto
Website

#62 May 11, 2008 9:57 PM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

Comparing old spyro to new spyro is like comparing a tomato to an airplane, as I said earlier.

Pointless comparison because it is intended to be a reboot.

#63 May 11, 2008 9:58 PM

Ayumi_the_Dark_Wolf
Banned
Website

why fight over this?......it is a reboot for crying out loud!...

#64 May 11, 2008 10:00 PM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

#65 May 11, 2008 10:09 PM

Kat
Website

Guys, guys, be sensible! It's just a videogame, not a way of life. big_smile
I'll still always prefer the originals to everything else (unless Dawn of the Dragon is the golden star I expect it to be), but anyway, the terms 'new' Spyro and 'old' Spyro give me the impression that there are indeed two different Spyros for everyone. Personally, yes, I separate the current Spyro from the first one. *Shrug* That's just me.
And it doesn't exactly matter who thinks what and why because nobody's going to convince anyone else and for the love of all things purple that breathe fire it IS just a videogame character, albeit a much loved one. Let's not tear each other apart over it. <3

#66 May 12, 2008 1:38 AM

depaul

Kat's right; pages 2-4 of this thread are just a long flame war. And this really doesn't have anything to do with us accepting the new Spyro or not. I don't deny that they're publishing games using the Spyro license, they've just changed alot. Someone said that Mario has changed alot over the years, but it's still Mario. This is true, but change can sometimes be positive and sometimes not, and there are different degrees of change. For instance, Mario is still a platforming title (not talking about the spinoff games). They've added some features over the years, like the water pack or the ability to fly through space, but at its heart, Mario is still a platforming title with a lighthearted atmosphere. The changes to Spyro have switched it from a platformer with basic combat and puzzle elements to a combat-centered game. Not to mention changes in level design, and the overall artistic direction, which, in my opinion, lacks the creativity of the older titles.

Doppel said that it's like comparing a tomato to an airplane. That's exactly what we're saying. They're two different kinds of games, the old and the new. Tomatoes and airplanes. We just like the tomatoes better, and are dissappointed that they turned Spyro into airplanes. It's not that I have anything against airplanes, particularly. In fact, I like airplanes. It's just that for this airplane to exist, there can no longer be tomatoes. And I think that analogy really adresses the issue of this topic, whether or not Spyro is still Spyro no matter what form he's in. And like Doppel said, they're really two totally different things so its hard to compare. Case in point, below the surface, Spyro is no longer a tomato: he's an airplane.

If that makes any sense at all, I just want people to understand that people who like the original games aren't trying to bash everybody else or say that you're weird for liking the new games. It's just that the old games have been replaced. Maybe you guys don't see it, but there is really a significant difference between the first 3 and the LoS. That's all. It's different, not bad, necessarily, but not as good (in our eyes) as the originals.

#67 May 12, 2008 1:40 AM

RaidonMakoto
Website

#68 May 12, 2008 1:53 AM

depaul

#69 May 12, 2008 2:09 AM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

#70 May 12, 2008 2:12 AM

depaul

You're owl makes me chuckle inside.

But seirously, read the link, it will enlighten us all and end this fighting.

#71 May 12, 2008 2:15 AM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

#72 May 12, 2008 2:17 AM

depaul

Again, your owls have brought light to my day.

I just think it's stupid that we're fighting over this. I'm by no means innocent, but I think if everyone realizes that we all get something different from Spyro, then we can coexist in these forums peacefully, fans of the old and new. At the very least, we can at least intelligently discuss our ideas without bickering. Disagreeing is okay, just as long as we don't try and tear each others faces off.

#73 May 12, 2008 2:26 AM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

#74 May 12, 2008 2:27 AM

depaul

Yeah, the old ones are done. There's another topic for this though.

#75 May 12, 2008 2:29 AM

Doppelgangergang
Banned

Board footer