Welcome to Spyro the Dragon Forums!

You are not logged in.

#1 May 05, 2018 4:47 PM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

What's important to you about Spyro? (Poll)

I love Spyro.  In 1999, I started playing my first ever 3D platformer with his name tied to it, but I fell in love with the hero as well.  Games like Spyro changed the way I played video games, it gave me a concept that I would have for the rest of my life and how I am entertained.  I'm curious, what is more important to you about Spyro?  Is the technical achievement and fun game play the trigger for your nostalgia on Spyro?  Or do you think that Spyro the dragon himself is the reason why you like the games?  I'd like to share with you my full perspective, but I want to know what everyone else thinks first.  In comments, if you want to expand on your vote or get mad at me for making you choose a hard choice, feel free.  I'm very interested to see what people say.

Last edited by riverhippo (May 05, 2018 5:02 PM)

What is more important to you about Spyro games?

The nostalgia of playing a platformer that is fun to play. 78%
The nostalgia of playing a character you enjoy playing as. 22%
Total votes: 9

#2 May 05, 2018 9:33 PM

Aquila King
Gems: 812

Re: What's important to you about Spyro? (Poll)

Spyro is quite possibly one of the single most influential and important parts of my life. That may sound strange given that in reality it's just a simple little polygonal 90's platformer game, but to me personally it has meant so much more.

I had a rough childhood dealing with abuse (that I won't go into detail here), and so my mind was already naturally an escapist. I've always been an avid daydreamer who would escape the problems of the real world mentally into my own little fantasy world in my head. I've done so as far back as I could remember. So when I first came in contact with the first Spyro the Dragon game when I was only five or six years old, I was instantly transported to a whole other magical world that I had the freedom to explore!

It was the first video game I ever played, and it was introduced to me by my father (the source of my abuse) of all people. In it you could travel to other worlds, each with a life of it's own. Filled with magic and mystery, as well as interactive things in the environment. The game actively encouraged exploration. To look over every nook and cranny for hidden treasure. I played it every time I went over to my father's house for visits. It was my means of coping. You played as a little purple dragon who was the smallest of the bunch, and didn't have much in terms of abilities. But he had a lot of spunk, and wasn't afraid of anything. By playing as Spyro, I felt as though I could take on the world. Like no matter how big the challenges are, and no matter how small you are, those challenges could be overcome. It gave me great encouragement and inspiration. Spyro was my hero growing up.

Spyro was actually even my first ever imaginary friend (Lol, clearly I didn't have many friends growing up). And in fact, one of my most precious possessions is Spyro stuffed animal my dad gave me. He spent hours and even days on ebay bidding for it until he finally got it just for me. It wasn't for a holiday or special event, he just did it out of the kindness of his heart because he knew how much Spyro meant to me. To this day, it's the only true gift my father ever gave to me. After getting it though, I exchanged my imaginary friend Spyro for the stuffed animal Spyro. I treated that thing like they do in those old Calvin and Hobbes comics. It rarely ever left my side, and I treated that thing like a member of my own family.

I may sound like a total mental case by saying all this, but Spyro truly has been the single most influential part of my childhood. And it affects me on up to this day into young adulthood.

I've always loved video games, and Spyro is undoubtedly what got me into gaming in the first place. But it was never about 'gaming' for me per say. It was all about the escapism. Call it, a 'fantasy simulator' if you will. It never needed to be complex or super dark or realistic or have brilliant game mechanics or whatnot. That's why I honestly fell out of the gaming craze around high school really. Partly because of what I just mentioned, but also partly because I honestly didn't have much money growing up to keep up with all the new consoles and didn't feel like my money would be best spent on new games that I only half cared for. hmm I just can't get into all these stat-heavy RPG's or FPS's personally. I miss the old days where gaming was simple. I love old school 3-D collectathon platformers. That's why I'm so happy that 3-D platformers seem to finally be making a come back! And most importantly, so is Spyro! big_smile

That's why Spyro is more to me then just a game. And the Reignited trilogy is more than just a simple remake. They aren't just remastering a 20-year old videogame, they're remastering my childhood. Words can't express how hyped I am for it. smile

#3 Aug 10, 2018 7:33 PM

Autumn Plains
Gems: 65

Totally agree about the remastering my childhood Aquila, I feel the same, which is the reason why I am so excited for this new release. I used to love playing the Spyro games on my PS1 and eventually PS2 in my bedroom, I'd spend hours there going through the levels, sitting on my bed or little sofa bed with sweets, crisps and a drink of fizzy pop (sorry for the British-isms there!) just loving all the characters and the different worlds within the game. I completed Gateway to Glimmer about 3 times.
I had been bullied at school and so was a bit reluctant to make friends, I was pretty quiet and was always good at keeping myself entertained and happy. Spyro was my main thing for a while and it brings back lots of great memories of being 14 and life being a lot simpler.

Can't wait for September!

#4 Aug 11, 2018 2:30 AM

36IStillLikeSpyro36
Award: Globmod
Gems: -4,018
Website

#5 Sep 04, 2018 9:54 AM

eluukkanen
Gems: 27

I think what draws me to Spyro is the fact that similar style collectables hardly excist nowadays. It is sad. There is so much potential in the genre, but big publishers dont take risks. Lets hope reignited trilogy changes that spyro

#6 Sep 04, 2018 8:03 PM

Spyro3Fan200
Gems: 240

I grew up playing Rayman and Spyro on the PS1. Back then I didn't really think much of the purple dragon. Now as I look at it compared to even Mario platformers from back then and today Spyro is a very solid game. (when done right) I like how you can (kinda) go fast like in the Sonic games but you don't bump into walls like in Sonic games for going so fast (I mean you can bump in to walls in Spyro games but I feel like it's my fault while in Sonic games I always blame the physics.). Compared to some of the other games for the PS1 you would think Spyro would belong on the PS2 especially compared to Crash. Also collecting gems and whatever else, (it changes in every game pretty much) while progressing through worlds can be addicting and it feels good mentally when Sparx collects the gems for you. Imagine if Activision made a new Spyro game every year, the sells would be up there with Cod especially If they take reignited and just use the engine to make a new Spyro game every year, they are already doing that with other franchises so why not Spyro.

Last edited by Spyro3Fan200 (Sep 04, 2018 8:16 PM)

#7 Sep 05, 2018 1:29 AM

riverhippo
Gems: 1,093

#8 Sep 05, 2018 4:43 AM

Spyro3Fan200
Gems: 240

Skylanders is more of a spin off that just so happens to have Spyro in it.  Spyro is a 3d platformer with a purple dragon that breaths fire. We need less Skylander games and more Spyro. Every year?  Yeah that would be awesome.

Last edited by Spyro3Fan200 (Sep 05, 2018 4:48 AM)

Board footer